PDA

View Full Version : Remington 870 Clearing Problem

JumpingIowa
10-08-2014, 08:53
Hello everyone,
I was hoping that someone here could help me out. I have a Remington 870 12g scattergat and I have been having trouble with it. I got it two years ago for Christmas from my folks and have since been out to shoot with it only 3-4 times. Since the first outing I have had trouble ejecting a spent shell after firing. I thought maybe I wasn't fully cocking it up all the way but after some trial and error it still wont eject the shell. The last time I used it I loaded a shell into it and tried to eject it without firing it. I got the same result which leads me to believe it could be the ejector. When I took off the barrel I could see the ejector had clamped onto the shell because there were indentations on it.

This happens with all kinds of shells. Ive used Winchester, Remington Nitros, Sport Shot and the like. I have seen a few tools such as a chamber hone to expand the diameter of the chamber but I'm not 100% confident about doing this myself. If anyone here has experience with this I would be grateful.

My other option is to just send it back to Remington and have them fix it but I like to keep my guns where they are.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Team Sergeant
10-08-2014, 09:08
Hello everyone,
I was hoping that someone here could help me out. I have a Remington 870 12g scattergat and I have been having trouble with it. I got it two years ago for Christmas from my folks and have since been out to shoot with it only 3-4 times. Since the first outing I have had trouble ejecting a spent shell after firing. I thought maybe I wasn't fully cocking it up all the way but after some trial and error it still wont eject the shell. The last time I used it I loaded a shell into it and tried to eject it without firing it. I got the same result which leads me to believe it could be the ejector. When I took off the barrel I could see the ejector had clamped onto the shell because there were indentations on it.

This happens with all kinds of shells. Ive used Winchester, Remington Nitros, Sport Shot and the like. I have seen a few tools such as a chamber hone to expand the diameter of the chamber but I'm not 100% confident about doing this myself. If anyone here has experience with this I would be grateful.

My other option is to just send it back to Remington and have them fix it but I like to keep my guns where they are.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

May want to check your "ejector" spring........ there are some good pictures here : http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=701290

Streck-Fu
10-08-2014, 09:21
Can you post a picture or two of your ejector?

Also, I just want to make sure we are getting the terminology correct so humor me for a moment.

You can load and fire a shell and it will extract from the chamber just fine but will not eject from the receiver? Is the shell held against the bolt with the extractor or does it fall down onto the carrier?

Team Sergeant
10-08-2014, 09:25

I'll show you mine if you show me yours.............

The Reaper
10-08-2014, 09:25
I would definitely send it back to Remington before I tried to "expand the chamber."

1. Check and make sure you are not putting 3" or larger shells in a 2-3/4" shotgun.

2. Unload and clean the weapon thoroughly.

3. Check extractor and ejector. The ejector does not "clamp onto the shell." It is attached to the left inside wall of the receiver and tips the shell out the ejection port. The ejector requires factory replacement, IIRC. The extractor should catch the rim of the shell and assist with pulling it out of the chamber. You can check spring tension and remove it yourself, in most cases.

4. Ensure that you are racking it hard and fully.

5. Contact Remington or the store you bought it from.

Best of luck.

TR

Streck-Fu
10-08-2014, 09:31
I'll show you mine if you show me yours.............

I may be Navy but those stories you may have heard are false....:eek:

JumpingIowa
10-08-2014, 09:33

JumpingIowa
10-08-2014, 09:34

Also, I just want to make sure we are getting the terminology correct so humor me for a moment.

You can load and fire a shell and it will extract from the chamber just fine but will not eject from the receiver? Is the shell held against the bolt with the extractor or does it fall down onto the carrier?

I can send a picture when I get out of work. Sorry for the confusion also, it neither extracts nor ejects.

I know the extractor is catching the rim of the shell (from taking off the barrel) but I cant pull the fore-end back. It will move a tiny amount but it wont let me pull it all the way no matter how hard I pull.

Thank you for your response

Team Sergeant
10-08-2014, 09:35
There's even a guy that has a whole forum dedicated to replacing the rem 870 ejector spring with a video!

http://www.rem870.com/2011/10/25/remington-870-ejector-spring-replacement/

Team Sergeant
10-08-2014, 09:39
I can send a picture when I get out of work. Sorry for the confusion also, it neither extracts nor ejects.

I know the extractor is catching the rim of the shell (from taking off the barrel) but I cant pull the fore-end back. It will move a tiny amount but it wont let me pull it all the way no matter how hard I pull.

If you're not a gun expert take it to a gunsmith. The few dollars you spend on him will be money well spent. If you're trying to clear a jam make sure you do it in a safe manner.

If the jam is clear, go and watch some 870 disassembly reassembly videos.

Streck-Fu
10-08-2014, 09:41
I can send a picture when I get out of work. Sorry for the confusion also, it neither extracts nor ejects. I know the extractor is catching the rim of the shell (from taking off the barrel) but I cant pull the fore-end back. It will move a tiny amount but it wont let me pull it all the way no matter how hard I pull.

Ok, so you have an extraction issue....it sounds like.

You loaded a shell and fired it. Now the for-end will not move to the rear to extract the shell.

Also, you can load a shell but not fire the weapon then press the action bar release button and still the fore-end will not move back.

I will second Reaper's question about which size shells you are using.

If you are using 2 3/4" shells, contact Remington customer service before trying any corrective actions.

One thing to try.... With the barrel removed can you fit a fired shell into the chamber easily? If not, does the brass seem to be expanded more than the chamber diameter?

Also, is your 870 an Express model?

JumpingIowa
10-08-2014, 09:53
If you're not a gun expert take it to a gunsmith. The few dollars you spend on him will be money well spent. If you're trying to clear a jam make sure you do it in a safe manner.

I had to figure out the hard way how to reassemble it while I was shooting in the field. Took me about 45 minutes to figure it out :eek: but now I'm pretty fluid. I have cleaned it multiple times hoping that might be the issue but to no avail.

Thank you for your time.

JumpingIowa
10-08-2014, 09:57
Ok, so you have an extraction issue....it sounds like.

You loaded a shell and fired it. Now the for-end will not move to the rear to extract the shell. Correct

Also, you can load a shell but not fire the weapon then press the action bar release button and still the fore-end will not move back. Also correrct.

I will second Reaper's question about which size shells you are using. I made sure to use 2 3/4. I used Winchester shells a couple times and thought that might be the issue but I had the same problems with Remington ones.

If you are using 2 3/4" shells, contact Remington customer service before trying any corrective actions.

One thing to try.... With the barrel removed can you fit a fired shell into the chamber easily? If not, does the brass seem to be expanded more than the chamber diameter? This is a good idea. I've heard that sometimes the brass expands too much and get stuck in there. Ill have to make sure I try this.

Also, is your 870 an Express model?I have tried to differentiate between the different models but I couldn't. It has a composite stock rather than wood by default so does that make it an Express?

The Reaper
10-08-2014, 10:11
I have tried to differentiate between the different models but I couldn't. It has a composite stock rather than wood by default so does that make it an Express?

The Express will have a painted, rather than a Parkerized or blued finish.

Also, the left exterior side of the receiver will have "Express" on it in large letters.

TR

Streck-Fu
10-08-2014, 10:54
I have tried to differentiate between the different models but I couldn't. It has a composite stock rather than wood by default so does that make it an Express?

I only ask because a brief Google search returned a number of instances of something similar happening to many Express models of the 870 so it may be a known issue to Remington at this point.

JumpingIowa
10-08-2014, 11:04
I only ask because a brief Google search returned a number of instances of something similar happening to many Express models of the 870 so it may be a known issue to Remington at this point.

Based on TR's point above it is not an Express. I've gone to a couple different gun forums and a couple people have said the same thing happens and recommended a chamber honing tool but I don't want to make a mistake and completely dud my gun.

Streck-Fu
10-08-2014, 12:40
Based on TR's point above it is not an Express. I've gone to a couple different gun forums and a couple people have said the same thing happens and recommended a chamber honing tool but I don't want to make a mistake and completely dud my gun.

I would contact Remington well before doing that.

The Reaper
10-08-2014, 13:47
http://www.remington.com/pages/support/firearm-warranty-information/2-year-warranty.aspx

JumpingIowa
10-08-2014, 13:55
http://www.remington.com/pages/support/firearm-warranty-information/2-year-warranty.aspx

I would contact Remington well before doing that.

Thank you for taking the time to help out, I'm sure there are more pressing issues at hand that you could be dealing with. All of your comments are much appreciated.

frostfire
10-08-2014, 16:31
Thank you for taking the time to help out, I'm sure there are more pressing issues at hand that you could be dealing with. All of your comments are much appreciated.

...or if you're LE/mil and have the time, spend some time and get certified as Remington 870 armorer for free! I'm sure the remington armorer instructor will address all your questions to minutia
http://le.nra.org/training/tution-free-school-details.aspx?sid=1867