PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong stages huge National Day democracy protests

Pete
10-01-2014, 05:18
Hong Kong stages huge National Day democracy protests

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-29430229

"Thousands have joined pro-democracy protests in central Hong Kong, as they spread on China's 65th National Day.

The protesters want China to withdraw plans to vet candidates for the next Hong Kong leadership election in 2017.

Hong Kong's chief executive CY Leung urged them to back electoral reforms set out by Beijing. He was heckled by some protesters, who turned their backs when the national anthem was played.

China says it will "safeguard Hong Kong's prosperity and stability"...."

The handover of Hong Kong to China occured in 1997. At the time China was still a pretty rough place and Honk Kong was pretty free wheeling. Many though China would eventually crack down.

It appears to be happening and the young folks want no part of the election "reforms".

Flagg
11-24-2014, 17:20
I wish them luck, they'll probably need it.

One interesting thing I've noticed.

Online, of the folks I personally know....folks who used to live in Hong Kong are pretty open talking this up from the outside facing in.

I suspect there will be a bit less talking online from the inside facing out.

It reminds me a bit of the Singaporeans I know who seem more likely to discuss/criticize certain things the farther they are physically from home.

It will be interesting to hear if the democracy protestors are trying to mitigate their online profiles(protest support wise) to make it harder for the Chinese to implement protest countermeasures in the medium to long term.