PDA

View Full Version : Army chief: Division headquarters will deploy soon to Iraq

BMT (RIP)
09-24-2014, 07:11
Officials have not identified the division that will deploy — the first division headquarters to go to Iraq since the U.S. withdrawal in 2011.

http://www.armytimes.com/article/20140923/NEWS08/309230066/Army-chief-Division-headquarters-will-deploy-soon-Iraq

BMT

Mills
09-24-2014, 11:42
Conventional forces are the exact opposite of what we need right now.

Especially, another HQ with a GO.

Loadsmasher
09-25-2014, 08:30
Conventional forces are the exact opposite of what we need right now.

Especially, another HQ with a GO.

This was the discussion around the office the other day. General consensus is that they will create an entirely new division hq with the corresponding senior officer billets but no actual division. It's the best of both worlds, more conventional Generals and co-opting Special Forces' mission sets!

I really hope someone slides the METL for an SF Group HQ under Odie's door this week.

Loadsmasher
09-25-2014, 12:59
This was the discussion around the office the other day. General consensus is that they will create an entirely new division hq with the corresponding senior officer billets but no actual division. It's the best of both worlds, more conventional Generals and co-opting Special Forces' mission sets!

I really hope someone slides the METL for an SF Group HQ under Odie's door this week.

I was partly wrong. They're sending the 1st ID.

http://www.armytimes.com/article/20140925/NEWS/309250057/-Big-Red-One-HQ-will-deploy-Iraq

Guess they'll be BROing out at Riley tonight. God speed.

Unrelated, but this comment by Odierno boggles the mind.

“The complexity of the environment that we have to operate in now, and probably the next 10 to 15 to 20 years, we need these headquarters,” he said. “If you ask me one of the stress points in the Army, it’s our headquarters.”

Stress point? A headquarters is a stress point? We are deactivating BCTs left and right but the HQ's are what we need? The only stress for the HQ is the O4's and above stressing about how to get an invite to a foriegn force's bar.

blacksmoke
09-25-2014, 18:03
Said it before, I'll say it again. Somebody needs to be there making sure helmets and body armor is being worn to the shitters. :eek: Imagine if ISIS found out guys were on the FOB unprotected? They could mortar the place to smithereens.