PDA

View Full Version : WTB Cammenga Lensatic Compass

PhyrricVictory
09-22-2014, 12:27
I'm in the market for a good quality lensatic compass. I purchased a brunton brand one from amazon and I'm less than pleased. Ebay is giving me options that are more expensive than buying new from amazon.

Example of price point Amazon is providing:
http://www.amazon.com/Cammenga-Model-Olive-Lensatic-Compass/dp/B0016SRA4Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411406696&sr=8-1&keywords=lensatic+compass

If any QP's or other forum members happen to have a used compass they are willing to part with please let me know.

Ambush Master
09-22-2014, 14:42
It's about $20+ more, but i'd go with the Tritium Model!!

PhyrricVictory
09-25-2014, 09:06
Indeed, that is what I was considering in the event that I could not find a used one at a discounted price.

I actually have an "Adventure Race" this upcoming Saturday. There are like 80 or so control points spread out through the woods. 3 hours to find as many as possible /w map and compass. It will be my first one, and I've only self taught a bit with the Army manual.

PSM
09-25-2014, 11:27
Why a lensatic compass? They are rather heavy and bulky to use for racing.

Pat

PhyrricVictory
09-25-2014, 12:09
Why a lensatic compass? They are rather heavy and bulky to use for racing.

Pat

I'm going to be signing for NG SF in 2016, I plan to use adventure racing and map hikes to practice my rucking and land nav skills between now and then. I'd prefer to use the tools and equipment I'll have available to me and get comfortable with them.

Team Sergeant
09-25-2014, 12:26
This what many of us used to carry. I still have mine.

http://www.amazon.com/Silva-2801077-Ranger-CL-Compass/dp/B000VSA6NC

PSM
09-25-2014, 13:28
Unless you are going to be adjusting artillery fire, a lensatic compass is less practical for your purpose than a baseplate compass like the Ranger that TS mentioned. Baseplates include a basic protractor. With the lensatic you will need a separate protractor.

Pat

The Reaper
09-25-2014, 13:53
I don't think he is looking to win races as much as he wants to be proficient with a lensatic.

He will not be using a Silva at SFAS.

TR

MR2
09-25-2014, 15:03
I don't think he is looking to win races as much as he wants to be proficient with a lensatic.

He will not be using a Silva at SFAS.

TR

;)

PhyrricVictory
09-25-2014, 15:07
TR is correct in what my end purposes are. I'd like to become proficient with the methods and equipment that I will be using at SFAS, these races are just a way to add a measure of urgency and extra challenge to my training.

PhyrricVictory
10-16-2014, 11:16
Well, I attempted the "adventure race" on the 27th with the cheap compass I bought... it was a bit of a fiasco. Between the needle getting stuck and the fact there was a parallel trail that ran next to the one on the map that was marked I got a bit lost. It also didn't help I had not worked out a pace length for a pace count yet, so I kind of guessed on distances. Still managed to come in 8/20.

I ordered cammenga with the tritium inserts recommended by Ambush Master. I have signed up for another race this Saturday. We will see how it goes.

x SF med
10-17-2014, 04:30
Well, I attempted the "adventure race" on the 27th with the cheap compass I bought... it was a bit of a fiasco. Between the needle getting stuck and the fact there was a parallel trail that ran next to the one on the map that was marked I got a bit lost. It also didn't help I had not worked out a pace length for a pace count yet, so I kind of guessed on distances. Still managed to come in 8/20.

I ordered cammenga with the tritium inserts recommended by Ambush Master. I have signed up for another race this Saturday. We will see how it goes.

Join an orienteering team, I think this was mentioned a long time ago in one of your posts... you can use a lensatic compass in orienteering too... orienteering will teach accuracy of navigation and speed of movement... but hey, what do I know?