PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Cookie Recipes

lrd
12-12-2004, 07:39
Two requests:

1. I'm a member of four different teams at work and each has adopted a family or charity or deployed unit for Christmas. I have to bake cookies by the boxloads. Any suggetions for mass-produced cookies? The one I have makes a lot of cookies but I don't like them. I won't send/give cookies that I wouldn't eat.

2. Your favorite Christmas cookie recipes that I can add to my list. We love cookies.

Thank you.

Gypsy
12-12-2004, 11:07
Jello cookies! (remember those?) Yield 2-3 dozen

4 cups sifted flour
1.5 cups butter
1 pack of Jello (3 oz) (I use lime and cherry for the colors)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg

Sift flour with baking powder. Cream the butter, add sugar and gelatin and mix well after each addition. Add egg and vanilla (I usually add some drops of red or green food coloring to deepen the color of the cookies) and beat well. Add flour mixture slowly beating well after each addition. Bake at 350 degrees for 13 minutes.

These are meant to be put through a cookie press, mine is such a PITA that I form little cookies by hand (candy canes) or use a cookie cutter to cut out forms.

I will caution you if you don't use the press, to watch the cookies and adjust cooking time based on the thickness of the dough you are forming!

Pumpkin cookies (yield 2 doz) with frosting

Cookies:

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup chopped nuts (optional) ***

Beat sugars and butter till fluffy. Add pumpkin, vanilla and egg, blend well. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, mix well. Stir in nuts. Drop onto cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown around edges.

***When baking for the Troops I never include nuts...never know about allergies and such and I'd hate for someone not to be able to enjoy because of that.

Frosting (optional, not sure this will ship well)

3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
1.5 to 2 cups powdered sugar.

In a saucepan combine butter and brown sugar. Boil until cooked (about 1 min) stirring constantly. Cool 10 minutes then add milk (let it sit out a bit first so the milk won't curdle) and beat until smooth. Beat in powdered sugar to desired spreading consistency. Frost cookies when cooled, allow frosting to "set" before storing.

I noticed there sure is a lot of beating in cookie making isn't there? :D