PDA

View Full Version : Scope dope help

wpd654
09-18-2014, 18:32
Greetings,

I am going to have access to longer ranges next week, up to 600 meters. I have a generalized dope card for the .308 round we use, the 168 Hornady AMax. I am looking to see if anyone has a more specific chart for a similar set up I am using.

I am shooting a SCAR 17s 16 1/2" barrel. The optic is a Leupold 3.5x10 Mark 4 with a mil dot reticle and moa adjustments. It is mounted on an American Defense 20moa mount. The rifle is zeroed at 100 yards.

Any help with a more accurate chart and mil dot holdovers at various distances would be much appreciated.

Thanks

The Reaper
09-18-2014, 19:15
Greetings,

I am going to have access to longer ranges next week, up to 600 meters. I have a generalized dope card for the .308 round we use, the 168 Hornady AMax. I am looking to see if anyone has a more specific chart for a similar set up I am using.

I am shooting a SCAR 17s 16 1/2" barrel. The optic is a Leupold 3.5x10 Mark 4 with a mil dot reticle and moa adjustments. It is mounted on an American Defense 20moa mount. The rifle is zeroed at 100 yards.

Any help with a more accurate chart and mil dot holdovers at various distances would be much appreciated.

Thanks

No offense, but how did you wind up with that combination?

TR

wpd654
09-18-2014, 19:56
None taken. In the area I work we would be hard pressed to set up passed 100 yards and have any realistic chance of proper containment and line of sight. Often times we are working out of vehicles or other tight quarters. I wanted a semi-auto .308 platform that was maneuverable, accurate and reliable. This rifle was also self-funded and I had a limited budget to work with. After testing some other rifles and reading reviews this set up appeared to be the best rifle for what I am trying to accomplish. The rifle has been reliable and accurate so far with dead-on cold bores.

Peregrino
09-18-2014, 20:31
Any decent ballistics program will give you what you're looking for. I've got the ATRAG military version on a PDA and Ballistic AE on my iPad. They both do everything I need (a lot more than you're asking about) for every system I own. There are a number of others, some freeware, available with a simple Google search. We've also discussed ballistics software in previous threads here on PS.com.

wpd654
09-18-2014, 21:53
Thank you for the recommendations. I will look into those applications.

Papa Zero Three
09-19-2014, 12:09
JBM ballistics, it's free and pretty accurate. In put your data and it will spit out a dope card for you.

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmcard-5.1.cgi

wpd654
09-19-2014, 13:57
Thank you sir for the link. I also downloaded the Ballistic AE app last night and was able create one. I am looking forward to verifying and logging the results. Thanks again guys for the resources.