PDA

View Full Version : Report: Poor fitness in military poses security threat

BMT (RIP)
09-18-2014, 03:30
The Army is the heaviest branch, with nearly 16 percent of soldiers overweight, according to the most recent Department of Defense Health Survey.

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/09/report-poor-fitness-military-poses-security-threat

BMT

TOMAHAWK9521
09-18-2014, 07:37
This is not a true indicator of fitness. I have known soldier that were in top shape that needed tape tested every time and other soldiers that fit the ht/wt requirements that failed or scored poorly.

While that is true, it is still appalling to know that some of those FOBs over in Iraq had instituted "Fat Man Programs" because many fobbits had become human garbage disposals. The quantity of chow and junk food the REMFs were eating was ridiculous.

As a filthy contractor, I was almost ashamed to have ever been in the army. I never saw more fat, worthless, POS, oxygen thieves in my life. It was as if the army decided to scrape the bottom of every staff and support unit crapper back stateside and dump those turds in Iraq and A-stan. :eek:

All I could say was "Thank God for the Marines." At least that branch makes their personnel maintain the standard. Not all of them, mind you. But in general, they were in a hell of a lot better state of fitness than the other branches.

The Reaper
09-18-2014, 10:27
I scored 300 or better on the APFT for 20 out of the 25 years I served.

Every single time, I also had to lose weight to avoid the tape test.

The Army tape test is highly subjective and is not reflective of the physical fitness of the individual.

At the same time, I see a lot of people in uniform, especially females, who are just obese. I guess their CoC lacks the intestinal fortitude to confront them and take the required action.

TR

PRB
09-18-2014, 17:55
Not a good indicator...you strong big guys here are the minority anomaly...I've had team mates in that category too...but they were SF guys, been thru the gates.
The avg Army tape test flunky is not Arnold S.

WarriorDiplomat
09-18-2014, 18:35
Not a good indicator...you strong big guys here are the minority anomaly...I've had team mates in that category too...but they were SF guys, been thru the gates.
The avg Army tape test flunky is not Arnold S.

This is true, I can say from looking around here at SWTG that SF may be in the double digits as well. And being not even a fit fat as in a powerful guy with some muscle shape and signs of strength does not seem to stop them from placed in leadership positions.

There are alot of skinny-fat guys in the military that are not fit by any stretch they have the muscle tone of a ten yr old girl. We are in a strange time the cross fit body lean craze is producing lean soldiers that are great 100 meter sprinters but no good when it comes to stamina.

With the pencil whipped PT scores running a-muck I am curious how these guys actually judge fitness shoot,move and communicate fitness, long range movements with heavy weight and being fit to fight upon arrival. H2H fitness goes into the category of combat fitness.

The Army chow halls give our soldiers shit nutrition and then expect our soldiers to make height and weight and perform and make decisions at a high level WTF!!!. Camp Mackall is a classic example of giving our soldiers who are expected to perform like a high perfomance engine with low performance foods. SFAS/Q-course studs are performing marathon stamina events with low density low quality nutrition unlike the Navy.

cbtengr
09-18-2014, 18:43
I will never forget back in the mid 70's we were having a TA-50 inspection by the BN CSM, the kid with his gear laid out next to mine was a bit portly. The CSM asked him if he was aware of the Army's special program to deal with weight issues. The kid replied that he was and the CSM said good what is your goal? He replied that he hoped to gain at least 10 more pounds and he was serious. In Korea 2D Div. we did not have weight issues, the PT was quite vigorous and if you did not complete the run in the allotted time you did it again at the end of the day.

PRB
09-19-2014, 12:39
We've always been a mirror of our society and in this day/age that too is not a good thing.
Some of our senior GO level guys look a tad portly?

I guess driving to/from combat has it's side effects....

I don't quite remember all of the fat guys in RVN....looked more like Somali's.

Team Sergeant
09-19-2014, 12:43
Report: Poor fitness in military poses security threat

And you think incompetence in the White House isn't? :munchin

Flagg
09-19-2014, 14:55
A few questions for you fellas:

Do US military messes/commissaries serve much in the way of sugar filled drinks today?

How does today compare with the days of the more mature fellas here serving in the 50's, 60's. 70's?

What are the differences in food/beverage intake in uniform then compared with now?

What are the differences in physical activity in uniform then compared with now?

-----

I tend to look at this stuff quite simply(although I admit I may be wrong):

energy in / energy out

But I'm increasingly aware of the importance of high quality energy contributes to high performance.

The Reaper
09-19-2014, 17:48
A few questions for you fellas:

Do US military messes/commissaries serve much in the way of sugar filled drinks today?

How does today compare with the days of the more mature fellas here serving in the 50's, 60's. 70's?

What are the differences in food/beverage intake in uniform then compared with now?

What are the differences in physical activity in uniform then compared with now?

-----

I tend to look at this stuff quite simply(although I admit I may be wrong):

energy in / energy out

But I'm increasingly aware of the importance of high quality energy contributes to high performance.

The beverages are the same.

Food items on the serving line have calorie and fat information posted right on the tray, and those viewed as excessive have a red warning on them.

That is no real deterrent to anyone who wants to abuse it, but the choices are the individual's responsibility at the DFAC. That high calorie meal might be fine for a young soldier on an ODA, doing lots of PT and rucking, but for a 50 year old desk jockey who skips PT, probably not so much.

Back in the day, you could light up and have a smoke in the DFAC after a meal. People also tended to come in thinner and stay that way.

Now MRE's are another matter.

TR

PRB
09-19-2014, 18:41
MRE's....truth to that, designed for high output...no output then heavy input