PDA

View Full Version : HK Triggers

ccrn
09-14-2014, 09:35
Greeting All
I shot with a local SWAT team recently and they let me try out some of their pistols (glock 19 and 34). Surprisingly I liked their triggers better than my DA/SA USP-C .45 and P2000SK which to me have a very long first pull and not even a great SA pull.

Ive had these HKs for years and have always sworn by them but am reconsidering.

Question: is there a better trigger for HK that can match or out perform the glock triggers?
Thanks

Team Sergeant
09-14-2014, 12:35
Greeting All
I shot with a local SWAT team recently and they let me try out some of their pistols (glock 19 and 34). Surprisingly I liked their triggers better than my DA/SA USP-C .45 and P2000SK which to me have a very long first pull and not even a great SA pull.

Ive had these HKs for years and have always sworn by them but am reconsidering.

Question: is there a better trigger for HK that can match or out perform the glock triggers?
Thanks

You're amusing me...... I've yet to fire a glock that shoots straight or I don't have to employ a vice to pull the trigger.

glock is the Ford Taurus of the handgun world. And nothing but boat anchors in my opinion. To compare one to an HK is quite amusing.

NurseTim
09-14-2014, 12:57
I really like the H&K p30/HK45/P7 but the trigger pull on all but the P7 seem to be a mile long before it breaks. Is there any help for this?

ccrn
09-14-2014, 13:00
You're amusing me...... I've yet to fire a glock that shoots straight or I don't have to employ a vice to pull the trigger.

glock is the Ford Taurus of the handgun world. And nothing but boat anchors in my opinion. To compare one to an HK is quite amusing.

MSG
Thanks for that input. It was very helpful.

You are the reason I own and shoot HK exclusively to begin with. Ive never shot a glock until the past two weeks.

But my experience was they ran fine. And the trigger pull on the separate guns was very light. During the stress shoots I out
shot the rest of the shooters and found the glocks to feel good in my hands.

So the question remains. Should i switch to a different trigger? Have a smith look at my guns?

Or?

Thanks-
V/r

Team Sergeant
09-14-2014, 14:50
I really like the H&K p30/HK45/P7 but the trigger pull on all but the P7 seem to be a mile long before it breaks. Is there any help for this?

The HK P-7 is a completely different animal than the HK USP series.

I've got some time with one and would sell it in a Texas minute before taking it into a gunfight. ;)

Team Sergeant
09-14-2014, 14:56
MSG
Thanks for that input. It was very helpful.

You are the reason I own and shoot HK exclusively to begin with. Ive never shot a glock until the past two weeks.

But my experience was they ran fine. And the trigger pull on the separate guns was very light. During the stress shoots I out
shot the rest of the shooters and found the glocks to feel good in my hands.

So the question remains. Should i switch to a different trigger? Have a smith look at my guns?

Or?

Thanks-
V/r

All bets are off when you're running pistols with "LEO" triggers. Why do manufactures design the LEO triggers? Cause 85% of LEO's could not hit the water if they fell off the boat. And the LEO's do not wish to employ a thumb safety and because they don't they keep their finger out of the trigger well until it's time to shoot. The need for the hard trigger pulls is because some of the LEO's still place their fingers on the trigger when confronting anyone. I'm sure we've all seen the videos of LEO's accidently firing a glock of some sort, I know I have.
IMO HK's have the best off the shelf triggers out there and I regularly shoot bullet holes through bullet holes with off the shelf HK's. And like I said earlier, LEO triggers are a mistake and if you're sporting a gun with one I suggest you sell it ASAP.

trunkmonkey
09-14-2014, 15:26
I fully support a move to Glock, and believe enough to help you finance your purchase. Please pm me what you want for those pesky HKs and I will take them off your hands. :D

I found that the triggers on my HK pistols got better over the years as they have been fired and dry fired so many times. When I first buy a new pistol I dry fire it , with snap caps, until my fingers hit muscle failure. While my USP has a few years of range time it probably has more that 100 times that many trigger pulls from dry fire training. That is what made the biggest difference for me. I have now been able to hit not only the broad side of the barn but the door on occasion. When I picked up the HK45C I dry fired it until the trigger felt as smooth as my USP.

Barbarian
09-15-2014, 12:45
The trigger pull on my HK45 started out creepy, but has smoothed out with use, also. My Glock 17 trigger pull has remained the same chunky, devoid-of-tactile-feedback trigger pull, for 7 years.

As an aside, HK now makes a striker-fired, DAO pistol called the VP9. I have no experience with it, but have no real desire for any, either. YMMV.

ccrn
09-17-2014, 15:55
Technically speaking Glocks dont have DOA triggers nor are they all LEO triggers. There is the NY1 and NY2 trigger which has a ridiculous wight of around 8 lb but the standard Glock trigger is striker 5.5 lb.

That aside, Ive had the same two HK pistols for eight years and like them fine. I regard them to be the best handguns made (as well as carbines and others) but Im going to get to know the Glock as well. I bought a G19 and Ill put a few thousand rounds through it and make up my mind.

I cannot deny that I shot well with the 19 and 34 I used while I shot with those guys. And the 34 is the dominant race gun in competition which says something-

Team Sergeant
09-18-2014, 10:42
Technically speaking Glocks dont have DOA triggers nor are they all LEO triggers. There is the NY1 and NY2 trigger which has a ridiculous wight of around 8 lb but the standard Glock trigger is striker 5.5 lb.

That aside, Ive had the same two HK pistols for eight years and like them fine. I regard them to be the best handguns made (as well as carbines and others) but Im going to get to know the Glock as well. I bought a G19 and Ill put a few thousand rounds through it and make up my mind.

I cannot deny that I shot well with the 19 and 34 I used while I shot with those guys. And the 34 is the dominant race gun in competition which says something-

And that's just fine, some think that Ford Tarsus is the best car ever made. Those are the same individuals that have never driven anything better.......

ccrn
09-19-2014, 07:31
And that's just fine, some think that Ford Tarsus is the best car ever made. Those are the same individuals that have never driven anything better.......

MSG
I think yoou misread me. I stated I regard HK "To be the best handgun made" not Glock.

Having said that I spoke with the SOTIC sniper I served with in Afghanistan (whom I wont even say how many badguys I saw kill with a 110) and when I asked him what he thoought the best handgun in the world is he didnst hesitate when he said "Glock 17."

And both oof us have had the opportunites to drive more than Fords trust me.

Having said that: Im not trying to say Glocks are better firearms than HK. I was only curious to find what others thought of their triggers. For whatever reason I like them but thats a matter of "feel" and perception; not evidence of one being better made (which HKs are). Ive owned 2 HK handguns for the past 8 years as I stated previously.

Thank you for all the input
v/r

Team Sergeant
09-19-2014, 11:59
I must be getting old...... I stand corrected! ;)

35NCO
09-20-2014, 21:26
re: attached pic )

TS, Really interesting pic!

How did that run with the suppressor on it and who made the suppressor? Did it cycle subs as well? Thanks. :munchin

(End Hijack)

....Agree you cant really look/feel the trigger of a Glock in the same way you could of an HK. But that could also be said for comparing other apples and oranges.

OP,
A good gunsmith can always tighten up the HK trigger if you really want it different. I personally try not to mess with any of the triggers on any of my handguns too much. Unless you have enough time and experience to really have a need (Tactical need or Presidents 100) I would just keep shooting and shooting factory trigger until it is a perfect shot group each time as a mindless activity.

I do not mean this in anyway way to say you do not have experience as I am sure you do. I just mean from my own perspective I have learned that I am/people are never as good as they think they are as there is always room to improve in something like shooting with a handgun. Even when you get really good, it fades away at an astonishing rate if you do not keep practicing just as aggressively as it took you to get to your current level. Your trigger thought could be a lot like running when we hit that false wall thinking we can not go any farther or run any harder. However when we learn to push it just a bit more it turns out to be a mental barrier. Something like trigger pull can be overcome to a large extent on the mental front. (IMO)

How much more is a new trigger really going to give you? Where are you at in your shooting that you suddenly took that pause to say it must be the trigger? (Not "LE" triggers)

Back to the car analogy, its like, you have the Ferrari, and its PERFECT engineering, but it would only be better if you added that turbo kit, then the twin turbo kit, the nitrous...ext

Again, Why not just be satisfied in owning a Ferrari?

But...if you really want to go that route, there are many options. (I have not used any of the below beside for parts. Services at your own risk. Research the reputation of any smith that offers such services.)

http://www.triggerwork.net/usp.html
http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-USP-Match-Trigger-Conversion-Kit-p1039.htm#.VB4_nha7aHQ
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-reference-library/171261-match-trigger-kit-installation.html

Team Sergeant
09-22-2014, 10:03
That "pistol" was supplied to the Special Forces by an "OGA".....

Desert Shield/Desert Storm
So there I am about to fire/text a P7 suppressed. No ear plugs and it was me and a few other SF'ers on a makeshift range somewhere in Saudi.....

So I fire this this and it almost blew out my eardrums! I was thinking "WTF"!!!!!!! The only way anyone was going to use this "weapon" quietly was to hold the weapon by the suppressor and quietly "beat" the bad-guy to death with it. That said the same OGA sent us a pistol that was so quiet that you could only hear the skull cracking as the bullet hit it..........;) We're not going to discuss that one.......:D

Javadrinker
09-22-2014, 17:18
That said the same OGA sent us a pistol that was so quiet that you could only hear the skull cracking as the bullet hit it..........;) We're not going to discuss that one.......:D

I want one;):lifter

ccrn
10-03-2014, 09:45
Bought a Glock-19. I love it. Sorry

tom kelly
10-03-2014, 14:20
That "pistol" was supplied to the Special Forces by an "OGA".....

Desert Shield/Desert Storm
So there I am about to fire/text a P7 suppressed. No ear plugs and it was me and a few other SF'ers on a makeshift range somewhere in Saudi.....

So I fire this this and it almost blew out my eardrums! I was thinking "WTF"!!!!!!! The only way anyone was going to use this "weapon" quietly was to hold the weapon by the suppressor and quietly "beat" the bad-guy to death with it. That said the same OGA sent us a pistol that was so quiet that you could only hear the skull cracking as the bullet hit it..........;) We're not going to discuss that one.......:D

H&K made a pistol on an RFP for SOCOM it was the H&K Mark 23 in .45 ACP and after speaking to a tech Rep at H&K he told me that the only suppressor used and tested on the Mark 23 was manufactured by Knights Industries with a price @$1700 dollars. The pistol cost was $2100 and the Tax Stamp $200.EXPENSIVE but when you want the best you pay for it...Tom Kelly

mdpatterson
10-03-2014, 21:30
I have to agree that the original MK 23 and Knights OHG (Offensive Hand Gun.......this name alone should please TS) can is the best pistol/suppressor I have ever seen. I was lucky enough to get my hands on two of them brand new in their cases with all the goodies years ago. It is a large weapon and not for everyone, but it fits my hands perfect and is incredibly easy to shoot......add the suppressor and you are close to a carbine. When the value started going crazy to collectors, I put them away and shot the tactical and the newer Knights can (No longer called OHG) more often. I'm a big fan of most of what HK puts out, but there is a noticeable difference in quality between a few of their products. The same goes with the Knights can. The OHG designed and built in small quantities is clearly a superior product than the later versions although they look almost identical.

I have also shot a "Suppressed" P7 and while not as bad as what TS experienced, not exactly what I would call an effective attempt at suppressing anything but my desire to shoot it again. I am however very interested in the one TS mentioned that we aren't going to discuss :eek:........life would be much more simple and less expensive if I could learn to love a Glock.

Mike

Sent from my iPad

Team Sergeant
10-03-2014, 22:20
The HK MK 23 was the dumbest pistol ever produced....... not only was it too big but it was stupid big...... But the SEALS wanted it and they got it.

Guess who was at SF Command when the SEALS called and asked if we wanted the gun.......:rolleyes:

Now the HK "Tactical" was the best offensive handgun ever produced.
I don't own an HK MK 23 and never will, well, unless I grow over 6'11" in the next few years.......

mdpatterson
10-04-2014, 03:49
I still like it but can see how it wouldn't be for everybody. I'll bring both and both cans when we find a place to shoot. HK could have put all the same quality in the tactical, but they cut a few corners when you compare them side by side (USP Tactical is one of my favorite pistols so I'm not saying anything is wrong with it).

You have to appreciate it was labeled as offensive instead of defensive at least.