PDA

View Full Version : Selling my house in Fayetteville

pbr549xxx
09-03-2014, 20:24
One of the QPs here said I should post this question in this forum so here it goes.

I own a house in Fayetteville in the Cottonade subdivision we've put it on the market a few times and can never get it to sell. We've been renting, but we aren't making anything off of it so I figured we need to sell it as quickly as possible, take whatever losses now just to be rid of it. It didn't help that the tornado that ripped through Fayettevill back in 2011 tore everything up except for my block and a few others surrounding it, so property value is crap.

Anyway, if someone could point me towards a reputable Realtor I would really appreciate it.

Pete
09-04-2014, 03:17
....I own a house in Fayetteville in the Cottonade subdivision we've put it on the market a few times and can never get it to sell. We've been renting, but we aren't making anything off of it so I figured we need to sell it as quickly as possible, take whatever losses now just to be rid of it.....

1st Cottonade is now three subdivisions. The northern section where the tornado went through (no trees), the southern section (that still has trees) and the newer section out on the island.

2nd This is the wrong time of the year to think about putting a home on the market. Best time is to get it spiffed up and listed by late March. Around here summer is the moving season and people who have to move like to start looking for a home in early spring. They like to close and move in the summer when the kids are out of school.

Back to Cottonade. Cottonade is an older subdivision with 1960's and 1970's homes, newer ones on the island. It retains good market appeal because it's right next to Ft Bragg but "kids" now days seem to prefer the new homes being built outside the city limits. So for your home to sell at a good price you have to get them to come look at it.

There were 29 sales in Cottonade this past year from $21,000 (last of the tornado homes) to $172,000 for one of the newer island homes. 13 of the sales were for under $100,000. Those were bank owned for the most part and in poor condition. Some of those 60K to 80K were John & Mary homes where they lived in it since it was built and didn't do any updating - think Harvest Gold appliances and Orange and Black Shag carpet.

The rest that sold for over $110,000 were in good to excellent condition and had various levels of updates. Square Foot varied from just over 1,400 sf to around 2,100 sf.

You do need to find a good Realtor and walk through the home with them. Even if you're out of town it would pay to come here for the weekend. You'll then get the Needed updates and cost vs return.

There should be some guys around here who've used a Realtor in the recent past and should be able to give you some good recommendations.

Oh, and schools, Jack Britt and Pine Forest are the hot High Schools around here right now.

pbr549xxx
09-04-2014, 05:51
Thank you.