PDA

View Full Version : I want to jump out of planes

Everyday guy
09-02-2014, 16:19
Good evening gentlemen.

I'm a 24 year old college student thinking about joining the military, for a specific purpose.

I wan't to jump out of planes. Special forces is not my interest, at least at this time. I have great respect for the SF but at this time it is not in my list of goals.

Having said that, i was hoping some one here could give me some solid advice about getting to an airborne unit.

From what i understand HALO jumping is very much SOF/SF only, is this true?

Once in an airborne unit, does it limit the schools i can go to?

If you had to choose an airborne unit to serve in, where would you go?

Thanks in advance for any advice, I have done my own research, but i'd like to get the professionals take on it.

-matt

Pete
09-02-2014, 16:37
If you walk into a recruiter's office and say "I don't care what MOS I get I just want to be Airborne" I'm sure he'll find you a slot and get you started on the road.

BUT Airborne is only how you get to work. It's what you do at work that counts.

If you'll be happy as a grunt in the 82nd, as many thousands of good privates have done, then go for it.

If you have other plans then go talk to a recruiter to try and find an MOS more to your liking.

sinjefe
09-02-2014, 16:44
I wan't to jump out of planes.

You have no idea. There is nothing romantic about a night, combat equipment, mass tac from a fully loaded C130 flying nap of the earth and a non steerable parachute. If you are in the 82nd, that is the majority of the type of jump you will do.

Jumping is 1% of what a tactical airborne unit will do. What about the other 99%? You have to be a hell of a lot deeper than "I want to jump out of planes".

CDRODA396
09-02-2014, 17:03
You have no idea. There is nothing romantic about a night, combat equipment, mass tac from a fully loaded C130 flying nap of the earth and a non steerable parachute. If you are in the 82nd, that is the majority of the type of jump you will do.

Jumping is 1% of what a tactical airborne unit will do. What about the other 99%? You have to be a hell of a lot deeper than "I want to jump out of planes".

What he said...18-22 feet per second rate of decent, loaded down with ruck sack, weapon and load carrying equipment does not make for the same landing you see when the Denver Broncos Parachute team jump the game ball into their stadium on youtube. It breaks people who don't land right, and breaks everyone over time...Then carrying that ruck sack, weapon, and load carrying equipment all night, then all day, then all night again is what being a paratrooper is about.

If your goal is to jump out of a plane, go to a local airport and ask for the Tandem Master. They'll hook you right up and it wont cost you 3-5 years if you decide its not for you.

Everyday guy
09-02-2014, 17:24
If you walk into a recruiter's office and say "I don't care what MOS I get I just want to be Airborne" I'm sure he'll find you a slot and get you started on the road.

BUT Airborne is only how you get to work. It's what you do at work that counts.

If you'll be happy as a grunt in the 82nd, as many thousands of good privates have done, then go for it.

If you have other plans then go talk to a recruiter to try and find an MOS more to your liking.

What's the difference between the 82nd and other airborne units? I'v heard alot of people refer to them above all other airborne units.

Thanks for the responses guys. I appreciate them

Everyday guy
09-02-2014, 17:29
What he said...18-22 feet per second rate of decent, loaded down with ruck sack, weapon and load carrying equipment does not make for the same landing you see when the Denver Broncos Parachute team jump the game ball into their stadium on youtube. It breaks people who don't land right, and breaks everyone over time...Then carrying that ruck sack, weapon, and load carrying equipment all night, then all day, then all night again is what being a paratrooper is about.

If your goal is to jump out of a plane, go to a local airport and ask for the Tandem Master. They'll hook you right up and it wont cost you 3-5 years if you decide its not for you.

I have jumped tandem, I enjoyed it.

I assumed there would be a great amount of suck involved, being a soldier for the most part doesn't sound very pleasant at times, but i thought if i was going to put my all into a new culture and profession i'd do it in a way that interests me.

Thanks for the advice.

sinjefe
09-02-2014, 17:35
Then carrying that ruck sack, weapon, and load carrying equipment all night, then all day, then all night again is what being a paratrooper is about....
And doing raids and ambushes along the way w/o eating or sleeping..... in the rain, heat or snow.

craigepo
09-02-2014, 17:57
Have you ever enjoyed a "nap of the earth" flight? My reason for asking is that you will be doing a fair share of jumps after a fun-filled NOE plane ride. After in-flight rigging, while you're getting bounced all over the inside of the damned plane. It never fails that one or two of your buddies forget to apply their scopolamine patch, so the fresh smell of vomit will caress your nostrils en route.

Then, of course, you will stand up and hook up, but the 1st pass of jumpers will get stuck standing up, because the winds on the drop zone are too high, or the damned panels are scrambled, or some dumbass is driving a tank on the drop zone, or any other inane reason, so you get to stand there, hooked up, while the plane makes a race track, and you have one hundred pounds of lightweight shit hanging on your shoulders.

Next time around, you'll get a green light, but you will be shotgunning both doors, so you and your buddy will be banging off each other's static lines while your 'chute is deploying. Then you get to try and steer a very unsteerable parachute around your friends, in the dark, and try to miss obstacles on the ground.

Then, if it's a combat situation, there are these little red and green flashes of light that come zipping by you really fast...

The Reaper
09-02-2014, 18:01
Good evening gentlemen.

I'm a 24 year old college student thinking about joining the military, for a specific purpose.

I wan't to jump out of planes. Special forces is not my interest, at least at this time. I have great respect for the SF but at this time it is not in my list of goals.

Having said that, i was hoping some one here could give me some solid advice about getting to an airborne unit.

From what i understand HALO jumping is very much SOF/SF only, is this true?

Once in an airborne unit, does it limit the schools i can go to?

If you had to choose an airborne unit to serve in, where would you go?

Thanks in advance for any advice, I have done my own research, but i'd like to get the professionals take on it.

-matt

I highly recommend that you take up skydiving, it requires a lot less commitment in the long run.

TR

cbtengr
09-02-2014, 19:33
You respondents would make terrible recruiters, you are all far too honest :D .

Golf1echo
09-02-2014, 19:51
It breaks people who don't land right, and breaks everyone over time...Then carrying that ruck sack, weapon, and load carrying equipment all night, then all day, then all night again is what being a paratrooper is about.
:D

Have you ever enjoyed a "nap of the earth" flight? My reason for asking is that you will be doing a fair share of jumps after a fun-filled NOE plane ride... so the fresh smell of vomit will caress your nostrils en route.

Then, of course, you will stand up and hook up, but the 1st pass of jumpers will get stuck standing up, because the winds on the drop zone are too high, or the damned panels are scrambled, or some dumbass is driving a tank on the drop zone, or any other inane reason, so you get to stand there, hooked up, while the plane makes a race track, and you have one hundred pounds of lightweight shit hanging on your shoulders.
Such great memories...that you will not forget...Was that bug eyed guy kicking and screaming riding with the wind right in front of me... maybe I should not have hooked him up?

Badger52
09-02-2014, 20:06
You respondents would make terrible recruiters, you are all far too honest :D .After I was back from AIT my recruiter told me over lunch "Once you can fake sincerity you've got it made."

Everyday guy
09-02-2014, 20:17
These responses gave me quite a bit to think about.

As for taking up sky diving, i just mite do that.

I'm not worried about a commitment of 3-5 years. If and when i decide to sign a contract i'll be doing it with a clear head and my eyes wide open.

Again, i'm glad i came on these forums to ask about this subject, i seem to have got some real world feed back to think about. Thanks again.

Ambush Master
09-02-2014, 20:19
The Jumps in the attached Photos were "Hollywood-Jumps" i.e. NO Epuipment. The Video is @ Ft Bragg, an 82nd Equipment Dump!!

As said before, The Airborne part is just the Bus Ride to Work!!

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1500&highlight=airborne

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC8HDPEg_ho

Old Dog New Trick
09-02-2014, 20:22
Just volunteer for 11B "Ranger" option.

Then no matter what after you get done with training and assignment to one of only three units in the whole Army you will get the most out of jumping from "perfectly good airplanes!"

Good luck, remember to have fun!

Everyday guy
09-02-2014, 20:34
The Jumps in the attached Photos were "Hollywood-Jumps" i.e. NO Epuipment. The Video is @ Ft Bragg, an 82nd Equipment Dump!!

As said before, The Airborne part is just the Bus Ride to Work!!

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1500&highlight=airborne

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC8HDPEg_ho

That jump looks nerve racking, i see what the guy above ment about banging into each other during jumps.

I very much think i'd like to take that bus to work. Thanks for sharing!

Peregrino
09-02-2014, 21:18
If all you care about is jumping out of airplanes, listen to the advice already offered and take up skydiving. On a good weekend of skydiving you can get as many jumps in 2-3 days as you are likely to get in most airborne units in a year (especially with the ongoing budget cuts). And they'll be a lot more fun; none of that PITA Army stuff that is part and parcel of a Paratrooper's life. Hell, you can even count on a cold beer when you're finished. That's something I haven't seen on a military DZ in close to 30 years (RIP SGM).

If falling out of airplanes is your only reason for enlisting - I strongly recommend searching for other career options. Don't waste the recruiter's time, the Army's resources, or the investment any future unit might make in you. Today's Army is no place for someone whose sole motivation for being there is to get their rocks off playing adrenaline junkie skydiver.

Everyday guy
09-02-2014, 21:54
If all you care about is jumping out of airplanes, listen to the advice already offered and take up skydiving. On a good weekend of skydiving you can get as many jumps in 2-3 days as you are likely to get in most airborne units in a year (especially with the ongoing budget cuts). And they'll be a lot more fun; none of that PITA Army stuff that is part and parcel of a Paratrooper's life. Hell, you can even count on a cold beer when you're finished. That's something I haven't seen on a military DZ in close to 30 years (RIP SGM).

If falling out of airplanes is your only reason for enlisting - I strongly recommend searching for other career options. Don't waste the recruiter's time, the Army's resources, or the investment any future unit might make in you. Today's Army is no place for someone whose sole motivation for being there is to get their rocks off playing adrenaline junkie skydiver.

Thanks for the input

It is not my only reason for enlisting, I agree with you 100%. Today's military needs serious soldiers, not BSers and people who don't have the mental fortitude with all the recent conflicts over the last 10 years, and tensions shaping up for more conflicts coming soon.

If i was a veteran of Iraq or Afghanistan, I certainly wouldn't want to be training with those type of people either, so i see your point.

I have not portrayed my self in a serious manner, i hope i have corrected this.

I appreciate these responses. They are exactly what i expected from you guys.

1stindoor
09-03-2014, 06:35
I'll give you the same advice I gave my son before he enlisted...which I'm sure is pretty much the same advice most of us have given countless others. Do your homework first, find a MOS that you think you'll enjoy, find a profession that will challenge you and make you grow. If you're doing something you enjoy...it's not work. After that, recognize that as a private...you'll have very little control over your own life. If you can be in the right place at the right time, and in the right uniform...you'll probably stand out from your peers.