PDA

View Full Version : American police departments that loose military equipment

mojaveman
09-02-2014, 08:50
Theft and fraud plague controversial Pentagon program spotlighted by Fergesun, MO Police Department.

http://news.yahoo.com/how-does-a-police-department-lose-a-humvee-025942542.html

Pete
09-02-2014, 08:58
In all my years in one SF Battalion we only had two "lost" M16s.

One was during a water Op and was caused by stupidity.

The second was cut away by support folks during a parascuba jump gone bad. It went barrel first into 1,200 feet of seawater.

Maybe cops should use weapons cards.

The Reaper
09-02-2014, 10:15
I guess the department with the lost HMMWV that couldn't be locked would be amazed to hear about trhe chain and padlock technique that every military unit uses.

If any of our teams had ever lost a single weapon (weekly inventories, sign-outs, and restricted access to the arms room, anyone?) we would have been locked down for as long as it took to find the weapon, and the leadership would probably have been relieved.

The non-DoD governmental agencies are just as bad. They treat it like losing a cell phone.

TR

cedsall
09-02-2014, 12:33
I vaguely recall a lost M16 happening to a battalion in the 82d. Must have been during the late 70's/early 80's. It happened during a Bn exercise on Ft Bragg. The story was they kept the entire battalion on post and had them going through the training area at double-arm interval until they found it.