PDA

View Full Version : A fight for Control and Ownership of the DNC

Maya
12-10-2004, 18:59
Seen in The Weekley Standard

The Fight is on!

Not that I care much except for those like Zell in the Democratic party...

THE LAST WORD

Where is the Democratic party headed? It's an important question, and one which will impact on every American, be they Republican or Democrat, liberal or conservative.

The debate surrounding this question was tipped off last week by Peter Beinart, who suggested that Democrats must do now what they did at the start of the Cold War: decide that the totalitarian threat facing America is the most important issue on the horizon and that the party will endure no dissent from factions which do not want to confront this threat vigorously. During the Cold War the totalitarian threat came from communism; today it comes from Islamist radicalism.

Beinart's call to arms has been met with much resistance in Democratic circles. In his own magazine, the New Republic, staffers such as John Judis, Jonathan Chait, and Noam Scheiber have rushed to oppose him. In the far reaches of liberal webdom, Democratic sites have mostly taken up arms against Beinart, too.

Why? A couple reasons. First, many Democrats believe that there's nothing wrong with the party that a good candidate can't fix. In a sense they're right. A good candidate papers over ideological confusion by sheer force of leadership. But a party cannot sit twiddling its thumbs waiting for a figure who may not arrive for many years--if ever. A party which abdicates the ideological battlefield in this manner runs the risk of fading into obsolescence.

Other Democrats insist that Beinart is wrong because the global war on terrorism isn't the defining issue of our day. They say that domestic matters--healthcare, taxes, the deficit--are the dominant subjects. These partisans may be right, but they have little evidence on their side, and much evidence against.

Still other Democrats believe that the global war on terrorism isn't very real--that it's a reaction to George W. Bush and American imperialism, that the problem isn't Islamist terrorism, but rather the United States itself. These people are the folks Beinart wants to purge from the party.

And still other Democrats are insisting that this last group of people--the Michael Moores and MoveOn.org types whom Beinart wants gone--don't really exist in any significant numbers. They argue that Beinart has merely set up a straw man, that the left-fringe of the party is toothless and miniature.

Well. The latest development in this intra-party struggle came yesterday with the story about a MoveOn.org email to the Democratic National Committee.

MoveOn's head, Eli Pariser, called the Democratic leadership "professional election losers" and proclaimed, "Now it's our party: we bought it, we own it, and we're going to take it back."

The first proxy fight between Pariser's MoveOn, the Democratic establishment, and Beinart's new Democratic hawks will come in the contest for head of the Democratic National Committee. This is an election to which we should all be paying close attention. It is nearly as important for the future of our country as the November 2 election was.

Best,
Jonathan V. Last

Eli Pariser, "Now it's our party: we bought it, we own it, and we're going to take it back."

Oh Really! and you are?

Maya

The Reaper
12-10-2004, 19:12
I read Pariser's artcle and found it amusing.

He was bragging of the Dems and MoveOn raising millions from the "little people", when IIRC, 9 of the 10 largest contributors gave their money to the Dems.

Soroos, the money behind MoveOn, said that he would spend any amount to beat the POTUS in the election.

Yeah, that sort of arrogance reflects on his touch with the common man and is really going to reverbrate with the populace. :rolleyes:

Hope they keep that up!

TR

Roguish Lawyer
12-10-2004, 21:10
Dean for DNC chair!

The Reaper
12-10-2004, 21:16
Dean for DNC chair!

BS, get behind Al Sharpton!

TR

brownapple
12-10-2004, 23:38
The Democratic Party is going the way of the Whigs...

NousDefionsDoc
12-10-2004, 23:43
I like Dean, he's a maniac. I hate boring people like Kerry.

Jo Sul
12-11-2004, 08:33
Great, a bunch of bleeding-heart liberal left-wing same-sex-lover democrats fighting for control. Sounds like a typical sissy-boy slap-fight to me. I think their next leader should be Mary Carey - at least she made the California governor election interesting and has more balls than all the rest of them put together.

Roguish Lawyer
12-11-2004, 11:01
I like Dean, he's a maniac. I hate boring people like Kerry.

He's the new Jerry Brown.

Goggles Pizano
12-11-2004, 18:32
The Democratic Party is going the way of the Whigs...

Beautiful! I could not agree more. Dean would take them so far left most moderate/conservative Dems will flee is disgust. To where I am not sure but flee they will.

Maya
12-13-2004, 11:12
YYYYEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAA AAAAAAAAA

Dean for DNC!

Though Jerry Brown he is not, Jerry had Linda Rondstat, before the weight gain, and Dean's lady falls more in the Theresa Heinz Kerry catagory.

Maya

Gypsy
01-13-2005, 19:55
Yep....this will do their party plenty of good.

http://www.gopusa.com/news/2005/january/0112_dean_dnc.shtml

Howard Dean To Seek DNC Chairmanship
By Doug Patton
Talon News
January 12, 2004

MONTPELIER, VT (Talon News) -- Former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean announced that he is formally throwing his hat into the ring to become the next chairman of the Democratic National Committee.

The former Democratic presidential candidate, who has been campaigning informally for the job since November, made his candidacy official on Tuesday when he notified party leaders that he would seek the post.

"The Democratic Party needs a vibrant, forward-thinking, long-term presence in every single state," Dean wrote in a letter to members of the Democratic National Committee. "We must be willing to contest every race at every level. We can only win when we show up."

Dean, whose staunch opposition to the war in Iraq inspired the liberal wing of his party to make him the early frontrunner for the 2004 Democratic presidential nomination, dropped quickly in the polls after placing third in the first-in-the-nation Iowa Caucuses a year ago.

Dean fell from frontrunner status to also-ran after his bizarre "yee-ah!" on national television made him fodder for late-night comedians and 24-hour news shows.

Dean joins a field of Democrats that includes former U.S. Reps. Tim Roemer of Indiana and Martin Frost of Texas, former Denver Mayor Wellington Webb, Democratic activist Simon Rosenberg, and former Ohio Democratic Party Chairman David Leland.

Dean's entry into the race raises concerns about his future presidential ambitions and about the ideological direction he would take the party. Some party leaders question whether Dean will seek the presidency in 2008 or serve a full four-year term as DNC Chair. Meanwhile, moderate Democrats worry that the liberal physician-turned-politician will cause the party to continue to lose national elections by taking it even further to the left.

In his letter to the DNC members, Dean made it clear that he remains part of what he calls "the Democratic wing of the Democratic Party."

Democrats will hold their party elections next month. Some senior Democrats have approached current chairman Terry McAuliffe about staying in the job.

Bravo1-3
01-14-2005, 02:43
Some senior Democrats have approached current chairman Terry McAuliffe about staying in the job.

I'm torn. Terry Mac has shown himself to be the best thing that ever happened to the GOP, Dean would have some big shoes to fill, but I think he could pull it off. He only needs to lose 5 or 6 Senate seats to make his party completely obsolete.

I'm having a hard time believing that Terry McAuliffe hasn't been tied into a bag with 3 wild animals and tossed into a river by his compatriots, but in light of Dean wanting to take control of the party I can actually see where keeping McAuliffe might seem like a good idea!