PDA

View Full Version : Societal Collapse Scenario 2

Lighthouse
08-21-2014, 16:11
Finding Home

You are at a "business convention" 1200 miles away from your family when an EMP goes off and stops the entire civilization in it's tracks.
None of the means of communication or transportation work, the banking system and all the comforts of modern civilization are broken, setting the entire country back hundreds of years.

Infrastructure wont be fixed anytime soon and you aren't ready for this.

You have $300 in your pocket and few hours before all shelves are empty.

Would you stay local or head home?

Whatever your decision is what would buy with the money and why?

The Reaper
08-21-2014, 16:16
You might want to pace yourself with these scenarios, unless you are pretty certain the discussions have been exhausted.

What happened to my Get Home Bag?

1,200 miles is about two months of walking.

I'm headed home anyway.

What season/climate?

I always have a ruck, usually with water containers, a stainless cup, water purification, firestarting means, edged tools and weapons, lights, meds, a first aid kit, a poncho/hootchie, a woobie, a space blanket, rain gear, gloves, a hat, a cravat, plastic trash and ziploc bags, Loksaks, 550 cord, Spectra line, duct tape and electrical tape, a few feet of wire, a whistle, a Fresnell lens, snacks, a signal mirror and panel, compass, a cheap set of mini-binos, a radio, spare batteries, sunglasses, reading glasses, pens and pencils, a small sewing and repair kit, spare underwear and socks, cash, and some snacks.

With $300 (realistically I would have more than this, especially after I sell my gold jewelry), I would want to acquire (all would not have to be bought) a small, used, takedown .22 rifle and 500 rounds, an excellent pair of hiking boots (used is fine, as long as they fit well), a bag of pool shock, a hatchet or small axe, a folding saw, a folding or plastic trowel, a couple of maps (one for the entire route home and others of at least the first hundred miles or two), a folding stove and tabs, some rice and beans, salt and pepper, hot sauce, sugar or honey, bouillion, powdered drink mix/tea/coffee, more snacks, a cooking pot, some BIC lighters, coffee filters, some rope, more socks, more wire, bars of soap, a handtowel, a small fishing kit, more batteries (or rechargables and a folding solar panel), a foam pad, toilet paper, and bottles of antibiotics, ibuprofen, and multi-vitamins. Much of this could be scrounged (right from the hotel I was staying in), including the batteries from the remotes. Seasonally appropriate outdoor clothes, if I did not already have them. Maybe score a bike if one is lying around.

As soon as possible, I want to inventory/gather my goods, get packed, do a good map recon, and move out. Before everyone else figures out what is happening. Because then Hell is coming.

Again, I like the theme, but would suggest you peruse the Special Forces Fieldcraft forum and try to pick subjects that have not already been well-covered.

TR

Lighthouse
08-21-2014, 16:25
You might want to pace yourself with these scenarios, unless you are pretty certain the discussions have been exhausted.

What happened to my Get Home Bag?

1,200 miles is about two months of walking.

TR

Will do.

As far as the get home bag I'm sure the cards weren't made for this audience.