PDA

View Full Version : Aug 16, 2014

Pete
08-12-2014, 14:06
Aug 16, 2014 you say. What's that? 74th anniversary? Of what?

Don't know yet?

"Day for paratroopers special for home of the 82nd Airborne"

http://www.fayobserver.com/military/military_elite/day-for-paratroopers-special-for-home-of-the-nd-airborne/article_cbcd7672-a64b-5f1f-9754-22129292f510.html

"You shouldn't expect businesses to close or look for showy displays, but don't think the Fort Bragg community will let their day pass without a celebration of some sort.

National Airborne Day is this month, and the annual celebration of the paratrooper is bound to have significance at the "Home of the Airborne."

The day, created in 2001 by President George W. Bush, marks the anniversary of the first sets of parachute jumps by U.S. Army soldiers on Aug. 16, 1940.

This year will be the 74th anniversary of the jumps by the original airborne test platoon, a group of 48 volunteers who trained at Fort Benning, Georgia.

But while paratroopers may have been born in Georgia, their home is undebatable: it's Fort Bragg...."

That's this Saturday. The rest of the story lists some activities.

LarryW
08-12-2014, 15:43
Pride in your past and fearless of your future. You serve America with your country's undying thanks. God bless and many cheers!

:lifter

Flagg
08-13-2014, 16:51
Aug 16, 2014 you say. What's that? 74th anniversary? Of what?

Don't know yet?

"Day for paratroopers special for home of the 82nd Airborne"

http://www.fayobserver.com/military/military_elite/day-for-paratroopers-special-for-home-of-the-nd-airborne/article_cbcd7672-a64b-5f1f-9754-22129292f510.html

"You shouldn't expect businesses to close or look for showy displays, but don't think the Fort Bragg community will let their day pass without a celebration of some sort.

National Airborne Day is this month, and the annual celebration of the paratrooper is bound to have significance at the "Home of the Airborne."

The day, created in 2001 by President George W. Bush, marks the anniversary of the first sets of parachute jumps by U.S. Army soldiers on Aug. 16, 1940.

This year will be the 74th anniversary of the jumps by the original airborne test platoon, a group of 48 volunteers who trained at Fort Benning, Georgia.

But while paratroopers may have been born in Georgia, their home is undebatable: it's Fort Bragg...."

That's this Saturday. The rest of the story lists some activities.

Ohhhhh. 75th next year. I wonder if it has scope to be a pretty big/cool event?

70th at Normandy this year was awesome. My first visit and jump at such an event.

I'm in the US every August, I'd be keen to visit and watch if something big was going to commemorate it.