PDA

View Full Version : Sound advice really needed.

jordi727
08-06-2014, 19:18
I am currently stationed in Korea, in an MOS I don't want to be in (forced to reclass to). Due to the fact I my AIT training was 1 year long, I have a 29 month service obligation to my current MOS. Which means I'm able to reclass in July 2016, my current ETS is September 2016; I don't feel safe waiting that long to reenlist for reclassification, nor do I want to be in this MOS for said time.

I spoke with my unit retention NCO and she said the only way out is thru a packet MOS. Which is why Im aiming for SF. My current issue is my NCO "Support" Channel not backing me on going. I was basically feed a bunch of BS reasons as to why they won't support me in going, and was told "just go tdy en route to SFAS, better yet get stationed at Fort Bragg." I'm smart enough to know you can't go to SFAS tdy enroute, this being told to me by an E7 once stationed at Bragg.

I have 6 months remaining in country and my goal is to go to SFAS within the next 3 months, so that when it's time for me to come down on assignment I know I'll be going to Bragg and why. Most importantly I don't want to PCS knowing I have to stick with this MOS.

I've completed my packet I just need to forward it to the Pacific Region recruiter in Hawaii. My plan was to speak ask to speak to my 1SG on the situation, and if needed work my way up.

Can anyone offer any advice on going about this the right way. I don't want to wait until I PCS, I remember during my brief the recruiter telling us if we want to do it do it know. Latee on things will be thrown at you and you'll lose your opportunity.

Thanks in advance.

WarriorDiplomat
08-06-2014, 19:38
I am currently stationed in Korea, in an MOS I don't want to be in (forced to reclass to). Due to the fact I my AIT training was 1 year long, I have a 29 month service obligation to my current MOS. Which means I'm able to reclass in July 2016, my current ETS is September 2016; I don't feel safe waiting that long to reenlist for reclassification, nor do I want to be in this MOS for said time.

I spoke with my unit retention NCO and she said the only way out is thru a packet MOS. Which is why Im aiming for SF. My current issue is my NCO "Support" Channel not backing me on going. I was basically feed a bunch of BS reasons as to why they won't support me in going, and was told "just go tdy en route to SFAS, better yet get stationed at Fort Bragg." I'm smart enough to know you can't go to SFAS tdy enroute, this being told to me by an E7 once stationed at Bragg.

I have 6 months remaining in country and my goal is to go to SFAS within the next 3 months, so that when it's time for me to come down on assignment I know I'll be going to Bragg and why. Most importantly I don't want to PCS knowing I have to stick with this MOS.

I've completed my packet I just need to forward it to the Pacific Region recruiter in Hawaii. My plan was to speak ask to speak to my 1SG on the situation, and if needed work my way up.

Can anyone offer any advice on going about this the right way. I don't want to wait until I PCS, I remember during my brief the recruiter telling us if we want to do it do it know. Latee on things will be thrown at you and you'll lose your opportunity.

Thanks in advance.

From reading your post I don't want to see you in SF, you do not belong and we don't want anyone who runs from a re class to SF to get out of it.

What the hell was your point or question?

jordi727
08-06-2014, 19:43
Im not running from a reclass, I'm looking to put myself in a position of doing something I want to do.

My question is any advice on sending my packet in for selection, with tact.

Thank you.

jordi727
08-06-2014, 20:28
Why do you not feel safe with that? Will you spontaneously combust at midnight on the day of your ETS?

What's wrong with fulfilling the promise of service you made to the Army while working and studying your ass off in the pursuit of whatever goal you're after? Are you in your 40s with no time to spare?

With the Armys goal of downsizing its force, I wouldn't feel comfortable waiting until 3 months prior to my ETS to say "Hey wait, I want to stay in. Along with that I want a new MOS." The reason those numbers fall together is from my original MOS contract of 4 years and being reclassed to a 6 year MOS contract.

Im also a do now type of person. If I want something I set my sights on it, research prepare and go after. I mentioned it before, the recruiter during my brief advised us if this is something we really want to pursue go now. I've been researching for over 6 months now, after my brief last month I was convinced this is what I want to go out for.

WarriorDiplomat
08-06-2014, 21:27
Im not running from a reclass, I'm looking to put myself in a position of doing something I want to do.

My question is any advice on sending my packet in for selection, with tact.

Thank you.

You need to re-read your post you stated you wanted to go to SF IOT not reclass based off your retention NCO's advice as the only way to get out of the reclass you do not want. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is what comes to my mind

Surgicalcric
08-06-2014, 22:10
If you are a "do now" person why haven't you already dropped your packet? You sound more like a "do later if I can work an angle" kinda guy to us... First impressions are important and you aren't doing so hot.

Get on with it...

NurseTim
08-06-2014, 22:54
I'm out of my lane completely. Reread what you wrote then read this.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46614

If I'm wrong, I'll take the heat for being stupid.

SF_BHT
08-06-2014, 23:02
Ok guys let's let the SF Guys answer this issue.

The Reaper
08-06-2014, 23:08
As my brothers have stated, first impressions are lasting ones.

Once I read this, I kind of lost interest:

I spoke with my unit retention NCO and she said the only way out is thru a packet MOS. Which is why Im aiming for SF.

That is a piss poor reason to come to SF, if that is your real motive.

It will not sustain you during the pain and suffering that you will undergo at SFAS. You will learn that your current situation is much more comfortable than you can imagine.

If that was not really what you meant, you sure spent a lot of words explaining that you want to come to SF to get out of your current MOS/assignment.

Good luck.

TR

jordi727
08-07-2014, 05:47
I'm out of my lane completely. Reread what you wrote then read this.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46614

If I'm wrong, I'll take the heat for being stupid.

I thank you for this, and I thank you all for your responses. My words are shorted on what really lies deep into my situation because I didnt want to post some feel sorry for me story. I only put minor details as to why SF is what I want to do; and I know for a fact IT IS what I desire to do. Unless a current/former group memeber hears what lies deep down off the radar and still tell me I'm over my head with this, kick rocks; I'll still go for it.

What I need advice in is how to go about the situation with submitting my packet, with my first line leadership not supporting me on going to SFAS. I work in a hospital on shift schedule and it's critical to let them know I'll be out for 3 weeks.

1stindoor
08-07-2014, 06:41
I thank you for this, and I thank you all for your responses. My words are shorted on what really lies deep into my situation because I didnt want to post some feel sorry for me story. I only put minor details as to why SF is what I want to do; and I know for a fact IT IS what I desire to do. Unless a current/former group memeber hears what lies deep down off the radar and still tell me I'm over my head with this, kick rocks; I'll still go for it.

What I need advice in is how to go about the situation with submitting my packet, with my first line leadership not supporting me on going to SFAS. I work in a hospital on shift schedule and it's critical to let them know I'll be out for 3 weeks.

Well then you didn't give any of us enough information to go on, did you? But back to the main point of this thread. If you want to go SF...go SF. There's numerous threads on here and elsewhere on what you need to do. Your chain of command doesn't have to support your decision...they do have to forward the 4187.

Finally, if you want to "share" what lies deep down, off the radar...please do. If you don't...don't bother telling anyone you have motivations that lie deep down off the radar. Do or not do. There is no try.

jordi727
08-07-2014, 07:31
Do or not do. There is no try.

Roger that.

The Reaper
08-07-2014, 12:04
Concur.

Your commander only recommends approval or disapproval.

He must process the 4187 and submit the packet.

TR

miclo18d
08-09-2014, 09:12
Im also a do now type of person. If I want something I set my sights on it, research prepare and go after. I mentioned it before, the recruiter during my brief advised us if this is something we really want to pursue go now. I've been researching for over 6 months now, after my brief last month I was convinced this is what I want to go out for.
My question is what are you going to do when you get to SF and decide that's not what you really wanted and now you want to be a helicopter pilot?

You are setting yourself up for big disappointments, me thinks.

But then as others have said, it's time to **** or get off the pot.