PDA

View Full Version : twisted omentum

dollarbill
08-05-2014, 21:06
Had a follow up with the Doc who fixed a couple of hernias. He said that he ran across a problem he had never seen before. That my Omentum had twisted and could of been what was causing abdominal pain. Good news was he untwisted it and all test came back cancer free. I've looked up the Omentum on line and there is very little info. Just wondering exactly what does the Omentum do and what's the odds of a retwist.

swatsurgeon
08-05-2014, 22:58
The omentum is "the guardian of the abdomen". It is a layer of fat that comes off the bottom edge of the stomach and covers your abdominal organs. When there is inflammation or infection, it tries to surround the offending problem in order to isolate it or as we term it, wall it off to try and minimize the damage or at least contain it.
Last week I used it to fill in a large laceration in the liver to minimize the chances of the laceration rebleeding or leaking bile.
It can twist on itself as it moves to cover inflamed or infected areas of the peritoneal cavity...unless you resect it, it can always move to cover anything bad in the abdomen.

dollarbill
08-06-2014, 05:10
The omentum is "the guardian of the abdomen". It is a layer of fat that comes off the bottom edge of the stomach and covers your abdominal organs. When there is inflammation or infection, it tries to surround the offending problem in order to isolate it or as we term it, wall it off to try and minimize the damage or at least contain it.
Last week I used it to fill in a large laceration in the liver to minimize the chances of the laceration rebleeding or leaking bile.
It can twist on itself as it moves to cover inflamed or infected areas of the peritoneal cavity...unless you resect it, it can always move to cover anything bad in the abdomen.

Thanks, I'm guessing once it's untwisted it will go back to its regular function, covering and protecting. I saw some pictures of it on line. The Omentum must be hanging (like a curtain). If that was causing the intense pain that would unexpectedly show up and disappear, I hope it never twist again.