PDA

View Full Version : Applebees in Santa Fe, NM

Shark Bait
12-09-2004, 08:33
Apparently, a NM National Guard soldier went to Applebees in Santa Fe, NM this weekend and was refused service because he was in uniform. Santa Fe is an extremely liberal place. I imagine it had more to do with being in Santa Fe than Applbees policy. I plan on looking into this further. :mad:

Sacamuelas
12-09-2004, 09:11
After you check out the story for its truth...please post the results of exactly what happened.

If in your fact finding you get an email address or phone number of a regional exec at applebees, please post it in this thread. We can pepper him with complaints and responses. He might be surprised to hear from soldiers, lawyers, doctors, teachers, etc from all over the country. Let them know it won't be just one applebees that is affected by this action (if true).

If it's true, there is no excuse for that crap in this country.

The Reaper
12-09-2004, 09:31
Many bases do not allow soldiers to eat anywhere off-post in BDUs where alcohol is served, and almost all restrict the hours in which you may dine off-post in BDUs.

Would love to see the rest of this story.

TR

CPTAUSRET
12-09-2004, 10:37
Apparently, a NM National Guard soldier went to Applebees in Santa Fe, NM this weekend and was refused service because he was in uniform. Santa Fe is an extremely liberal place. I imagine it had more to do with being in Santa Fe than Applbees policy. I plan on looking into this further. :mad:

Class A's, or BDU's?

This really sucks!

Terry

Roguish Lawyer
12-09-2004, 10:47
:munchin

Shark Bait
12-09-2004, 16:08
Class A's, or BDU's?

This really sucks!

Terry
BDU's, but in the guard it is not uncommon for soldiers to go eat in BDU's. I am not aware of any directive against wearing BDU's to a restaurant here. I am trying to locate the soldier it happened to. Then I will call the restaurant and ask them what happened.

Jo Sul
12-09-2004, 16:19
Santa Fe is no where near a real Army post, so I doubt the restaurant had any guidance from the military. If there was a policy on such things then Sharkbait and I would be aware of it. All the locals there know about the Army is "those are the baby-killers we protest against while we sing songs and smoke pot".

brewmonkey
12-09-2004, 16:39

My wife is a manager for Applebees and we also happen to live in the same town and have constant contact with corporate. I will be taking this up to the district manager ASAP and will see what we can do.

Does you know if it is a franchise or a corporate store this happened in? If it is a francise we may be SOL but if it is a corporate store I will make sure someone feels me.

Edited:

I should also let you know that Applebees does indeed support the soldiers and through my wifes store and several other corporate stores they have donated supplies to several organizations/individuals putting care packages together for troops deployed.

CPTAUSRET
12-09-2004, 17:20
Santa Fe is no where near a real Army post, so I doubt the restaurant had any guidance from the military. If there was a policy on such things then Sharkbait and I would be aware of it. All the locals there know about the Army is "those are the baby-killers we protest against while we sing songs and smoke pot".

I was retired in 1980...back then "fatigues" were not authorized wear, off post. There were a few exceptions ie you could pump gas into your vehicle on your way to and from work, but restaurants were out, bars were out, grocery stores were out, etc, etc.

I don't think that ancient policy has anything to with what happened to this soldier. Santa Fe is full of Holistic, Dip Shit, Peacenik, Crystal gazing/wearing, hippie types, and he ought to sue em.

If he were dnied service for any other reason, ie the color of his skin, his religion, his sexual preference (that's for Matchanu), if he were denied service for ANYTHING AT ALL, other than for wearing his country's uniform. The ACLU would be all over it.

Terry

brewmonkey
12-09-2004, 17:51
I was retired in 1980...back then "fatigues" were not authorized wear, off post. There were a few exceptions ie you could pump gas into your vehicle on your way to and from work, but restaurants were out, bars were out, grocery stores were out, etc, etc.

I don't think that ancient policy has anything to with what happened to this soldier. Santa Fe is full of Holistic, Dip Shit, Peacenik, Crystal gazing/wearing, hippie types, and he ought to sue em.

If he were dnied service for any other reason, ie the color of his skin, his religion, his sexual preference (that's for Matchanu), if he were denied service for ANYTHING AT ALL, other than for wearing his country's uniform. The ACLU would be all over it.

Terry

It was still the same way when I left AD in 94 and the NG in 97. BDU's were a duty uniform and not "casual wear." Exceptions were made for things like a quick stop for gas, milk or other essentials but not dining out. What sucks is that in my wifes store I see soldiers in BDU's all the time and it was the same thing in the pub.

Shark Bait
12-10-2004, 07:39
It was still the same way when I left AD in 94 and the NG in 97. BDU's were a duty uniform and not "casual wear." Exceptions were made for things like a quick stop for gas, milk or other essentials but not dining out. What sucks is that in my wifes store I see soldiers in BDU's all the time and it was the same thing in the pub.
It's not a big deal here. If a soldier is on his drill weekend and wants to eat at a restaurant, that's fine. Most units in NM don't have mess facilities. The units will still provide food, but some people still go elsewhere to eat.

The soldier in this case is a recruiter and apparently isn't interested in making a big stink about this. I heard about it from a young PFC in our Recruit Holding Company. The recruiter told them that the store has the right to refuse service to anyone, which is true, of course. But they can answer for there decisions, too. This PFC does not want to upset the recruiter (SFC), so I don't plan on calling him. I figured I would call the restaurant and ask the manager what his policy is and take it from there. I will keep you all informed.

Shark Bait
12-10-2004, 07:49
Hey CPTAUSRET,

Is there just that one Applebees that's on Cerrillos, or are there more in Suckta Fe?

Jo Sul
12-10-2004, 08:01
Dave,

I did a search and it looks like there is only one Applebees in SF:

(505) 473-7551
4246 Cerrillos Rd
Santa Fe, NM 87505

Rich

Shark Bait
12-10-2004, 08:34
Dave,

I did a search and it looks like there is only one Applebees in SF:

(505) 473-7551
4246 Cerrillos Rd
Santa Fe, NM 87505

Rich
Ok thanks. And before everyone starts calling them, let me do more checking.

brewmonkey
12-10-2004, 08:44
My wife checked the corporate directory and there is only one in the city and it is a franchise.

Shark Bait
12-10-2004, 14:19
OK, here is the latest. I spoke with the restaurant manager, Wayne Moore. He is not aware of any soldier being denied service in his restaurant, except one soldier a while ago who wanted a beer but had no ID. That is completely understandable. He was very supportive and said that he welcomes soldiers in his restaurant any time. He assures me that he will check with his staff to make sure they understand his policy.

NousDefionsDoc
12-10-2004, 15:26
Good deal. Sounds reasonable. If the troop didn't have ID, he was probably underage.

The Reaper
12-10-2004, 15:31
Dave:

Since you started the thread, any way to get in touch with the soldier who complained and find out his side of the story?

TR

Shark Bait
12-10-2004, 16:42
Dave:

Since you started the thread, any way to get in touch with the soldier who complained and find out his side of the story?

TR
I can try. I don't know him personally. Need to track him down.