PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a menu

Kyobanim
12-08-2004, 19:49
Here's the situation . . .

Christmas eve the in-laws, (that don't already live with me), are going to be at the house for most of the day. There will also be people stopping in all day long. I need ideas for food that will suffice for snacking and meals. Something festive and prep time isn't a consideration though nice to know.

Gypsy
12-08-2004, 20:28
Couple of very simple ideas for starters, easy to replenish throughout the day.

Shrimp dip, take a block of cream cheese, liberal amounts of small shrimps on top, pour a bit of cocktail sauce over it and surround with fresh parsley (there's your red white and green) with crackers for scooping.

Cocktail meatballs in a crock pot.

Various cubed cheeses and veggie tray (use parsley and cherry tomatoes for garnish, again your holiday colors)

Savory bread cut in chunks with a spinich dip.

Festive Christmas cookie tray "decorated" with red and green M & Ms

NousDefionsDoc
12-08-2004, 20:32
Free Martha Now!

Gypsy
12-08-2004, 20:34
LMAO she'd probably charge too him much money!

Another idea, take Carl Buddig lunchmeat, soften some cream cheese and carefully spread over meat slices, add a spear pickle or green onion stalk and roll 'em up.

brewmonkey
12-08-2004, 21:06
Dolmades. I grew up eating these and they are great. The link below is to a recipe for cold ones that can be made the day before. There are also some recipes for hot ones madw with lamb but I have found they do not make a good dish to set out and pick at.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_22521,00.html

Gypsy's cheese tray is a great idea and places like Sam's & Costco sell cubed cheese that all you need to do is set on a tray. If you do not have a membership I have seen the cubed cheese in the dairy case at my local grocer (but costs a bit more)

Sams and Costco also sell little things in the freezer case like Artichoke and Spincah tarts.

Maybe some brie and crackers would be nice. Make one with raspberry jelly on it and the other just warmed.

Maybe some Spanakopita? (my Greek heritage is showing) Easy to make and awesome flavor!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_15698,00.html

Maybe grab some phyllo dough and make Baklava

Puff pastry and wrap some mini dogs in it and make a dipping sauce out of a bit of spicy mustard and honey (mix to your taste and nuke in the microwave to loosen up)

Mini Calzones can be made easily with the pizza dough from the same section that you buy the cans of buttermilk biscuits. Roll it out and cut little squares. Throw a bit of sauce and some cheese maybe some pepperoni or ham, whatever grabs you by the ass.

A vegetable tray is always good. Some mini carrots and such with a few dressings for dipping.

Just some ideas, hopefully one or two will help you out.

Huey14
12-08-2004, 21:41
Throw some shrimp/prawns on the BBQ. Beautiful!

lrd
12-09-2004, 03:22
We usually have a "sandwich center" set up in the kitchen, where I can put the perishables away if necessary.

Spiral ham
smoked chicken
cheddar, havarti, swiss, provolone & gouda cheeses
various mustards, mayo, etc.
pickles, peppers, etc.
Granny Smith apples (for toasted gouda w/apple)
Potato rolls, Rye, sourdough, etc.
and anything else that strikes my fancy...

If you have a smoker, smoke some big fat hens ahead of time. If you've never had it, you'll be surprised at the flavor.

brewmonkey
12-09-2004, 07:54
How about some pears poached in Brandy?

Team Sergeant
12-09-2004, 08:44
Here's the situation . . .

Christmas eve the in-laws, (that don't already live with me), are going to be at the house for most of the day. There will also be people stopping in all day long. I need ideas for food that will suffice for snacking and meals. Something festive and prep time isn't a consideration though nice to know.

MRE's with a beer. Keep a pot of water boiling if they want'em hot. (the MRE's not the beer!)

Anythin else I can help with just let me know.

TS

Kyobanim
12-09-2004, 08:58
MRE's with a beer. Keep a pot of water boiling if they want'em hot. (the MRE's not the beer!)

Anythin else I can help with just let me know.

TS

I was waiting for that one :D

Great ideas everybody. Lots of good sounding stuff.

mumbleypeg
12-09-2004, 14:09
Smoked hens are a great idea. If you have a smoker. Apple wood gives a really light but complex flavor. Boneless turkey breast also doesn't take too long. Turkey breast can be done while your doing other items, hens, Tofu(for the wierdo plants only folks) eggplant, cheeses. They all slice up great with some apple slices out on a platter.
Of course anything wrapped in bacon tastes good. A big pot of Soup is good nosh as well.
Devilled eggs
potato skins or twice baked potatoes.
Pasta salad
ceviche

How hard do you want to work? Sandwiches are easy, as is cheese in a can with celery. The other stuff not so much. Sounds like a good time though.

brewmonkey
12-09-2004, 14:44
What about a tray of mini bagels for the samiches?

Stargazer
12-09-2004, 15:08
Lots of great ideas.

So many variables ... but one of my favorite things to do for these type of gatherings is to marinade beef/pork tenderloins (overnight). Cook on grill. You can slice the meat and serve alone or with bread such as small rolls (sliced), mini-buns, party-ryes... etc... Of course, all the fixins on the side...

Another favorite is a sandwich that you prepare in advance. Thin sliced deli meat (I usually use ham, roast beef and turkey), cheese (I usually put swiss w/Turkey & Ham and cojack/cheddar with RB), sandwich buns and a homemade sandwich spread. The spread is made of grated onion, butter and mustard. Soften butter, add prepared mustard and grated onion. Spread on bun. Add meat and cheese to desired heartiness. Wrap in foil (be sure to mark the different combos). Keep in refrig overnight. Day of party - Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook time is around 10 minutes (until cheese melts). I would plan on 15 minutes before serving.

Roguish Lawyer
12-09-2004, 15:25
Free Martha Now!

This book is the heat. Seriously.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0609603108/qid=1102628381/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/102-3790620-7719338?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

lrd
12-09-2004, 18:24
Martha lives!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,140734,00.html

Huey14
12-09-2004, 19:25
Might have to start some insider trading myself.

12B4S
12-15-2004, 23:31
Sure... pass up the C-Rats.. especially the Ham and Mo***rFu*kers..... Great ideas, have writer's cramp, but think of the possibilities ...... :eek:

mumbleypeg
12-17-2004, 00:32
Ok, so Friday were having a little shindig.

Moscow Mules. Makers and eggnog. Margaritas will be served. I'm sure there will be beer. Probably Newcastle because the Brown ale screams christmas cheer!

Corn Chowder.
Apricots stuffed with almonds and wrapped in bacon.
Shrimp wrapped in bacon.
Lumpia
Caprese salad.
Cheddar cheesey biscuits.
Some little quiches( apparently they are so cute)
Miso chicken and sun dried tomato skewered and grilled.
Asparagus with almond and garlic grilled and chilled.
the usual bowls filled with chocolate almonds, wasabi peas, salty fish crackers. tortilla chips, salsa and or guacamole.

It's really a coctail party but ya gotta gnosh as you go, right?I just say ok honey and continue towards the bar.

I hope the holidays continue well for all.