PDA

View Full Version : language school question

Mega160
07-24-2014, 12:33
My given language for school is Arabic, however when I arrived at HHD, I was told if had a second language I had dominion over, to take the DLPT in it. As it turns out, I scored a 3/2+ in Spanish. Cadre then said I could test out and go straight to regionals, or stay on course with Arabic. I had never given any thought to skipping language, until the Cadre brought it up(did not even know that was an option really).

I guess what I am trying to gather, and what I am kicking around in my head is, would you fellas take the plunge and attempt a 3rd language, of which you could become marginally/fairly understandable ?

Or would you refine what your already pretty good at, and become a master of the language, so to speak? The back and forth is between making your self more marketable with a 3rd language albiet at a much lower proficiency level, or build off of an already well established platform in Spanish. Any input is appreciated.

Daniel.

1stindoor
07-24-2014, 13:19
I think it would depend on what the Army is allowing you to do...if they're allowing you to switch language and or group assignment, then it's up to you decide where you want to work. Personally I loved my time in South and Central America...but that was a very long time ago.

bailaviborita
07-24-2014, 20:17
Not enough information to recommend. What is your area of assignment? Does that change if your language changes? Where do you want to go? How bad do you want to get out of the pipeline and get to Group (have you been in school for 2 years?)? Do you think you can pick up later what you really need and will use (assuming you can do that)?