PDA

View Full Version : What’s it Like to Retire?

LarryW
07-11-2014, 09:08
I asked Ray Bradbury once what it was like for him when he finally decided to be a professional writer. He said: “It was like running up to the edge of an empty swimming pool and diving in, and hoping you sweat it full before you hit the bottom.”

Military retirement can feel like that. But most everyone these days don’t retire to the front porch rocker, least not right away. Rather the move is to the second career, often away from active military service to military contracting or working for one of the DoD Program Offices (which too often can look and feel like a corporate franchise; a McDonalds or a 7-11). One may rationalize that what you’ve gained in your experience is still very much in demand and you want to rest and kick back, but you find the monetary value of that experience is irresistible. So, you punch out and double-dip. Some folks go on to triple-dip. The geometry can go on and on. I’m not suggesting there’s anything wrong with doing that at all. Had a skipper who retired as an O-6 after a thoroughly successful background in nuclear engineering who decided he’d rather teach fifth grade. That’s what he did. When I asked him why he chose such a move he said he felt he needed to do something completely different. The most common thing most military retirees mention that they miss when they retire is the camaraderie, the fellowship, and that was something my O-6 friend was never able to rediscover in his second career as a teacher. Had nothing to do with teaching or education as a career being something below that of military service. For that matter, he was a damned good fifth grade teacher. It’s just very different.

Being retired because of a physical disability is not a decision one makes; it is a situation one has to deal with. For me, the loss of fellowship with military men and women came at me like a gorilla out of the trees and it hurt deep. Anyway, just for discussion purposes I was wondering; if you are retired now, what was the hardest part for you? (I suspect there are military men and women out there who will be retiring in the next year or so and who would be interested to know your perspective.)

Thanks.

fred111
07-11-2014, 18:42
I've been retired from the military for 18 years now and you hit the nail right on the head. Hardest thing was not being around people you could trust 100%. People whose word means something.

blue02hd
07-11-2014, 19:53
I've been retired from the military for 18 years now and you hit the nail right on the head. Hardest thing was not being around people you could trust 100%. People whose word means something.

This is a repetitive theme as I also look for answers to the question "what next". Great comments! Great post!

PRB
07-11-2014, 19:56
The hardest thing for me was the loss of 'the community'..SF guys and just the testosterone in the air on say "Ft. Bragg".
I moved to a small town in AZ that is a fantastic place but a fur piece from GI's.
Felt like a vacation at first, very nice, then you go thru this 'damn' that 33 years sure did go quickly now what.
I tried a few civvy jobs but they felt 'meaningless' so I just walked.
Yup, did the contracting thing in Astan for a few years and enjoyed that too.
You will not be able to replicate the environment you are retiring from.....that I miss each and every day.
OTOH, life is good, I couldn't be in a better situation and my girlfriend/wife is a peach.....so I guess it ain't so bad after all.
I run, work out to stay in shape and keep waiting for my recall orders for that over 60 assault line.
Congrats and good luck no matter the retirement circumstances.

Old Dog New Trick
07-11-2014, 20:39
Fred111 nailed it!

Been retired just over 12 years now. Went straight from the Army to DHS (yes, I know they are not liked and I can't blame anyone including myself for not liking them.) While my second career is financially rewarding and the double dip benefits will be greatly appreciated later on...it's true that no one can be trusted and the current administrative 'leadership' (that is a misnomer) can be trusted even less.

Sometimes, I wish I'd stayed a few years longer and just retired to a comfortable porch somewhere. But right now being a late dad (45 at his birth) and raising my son is so much more rewarding than rocking myself to death with a cold beer in one hand and a warm pistol in the other...:D

My wife benefits greatly from the medical benefits I earned!

P.S. I don't miss the Army, I miss the people I had the opportunity to work with!

cedsall
07-12-2014, 18:21
The hardest part? There is a bond to those in the military that you just don't get in the civilian world. You live with someone in a barracks for a year or two, share common experiences, have a common background (basic, AIT, this post, that post). I walked into a retirement briefing with a guy I hadn't seen since basic training and the conversation pretty much picked up where it left off 20 years earllier.

The biggest change? I remember that clearly. About a year after I retired (I've been retired for just shy of 19 years) the contract I was working was going through a re-compete and there was a lot of uncertainty in the air. I remember wondering what I was going to do if the company I worked for didn't win. Then I remember thinking "Hell, I'll pack the wife, kids, and dogs in the truck and go live somewhere else." The realization hit me that there was no formation to report to, no AWOL. If I wanted to leave, I could just leave. It was a strange thought after 20 years of being told where we were living next.

kgoerz
07-12-2014, 21:09
I retired in 2005. I was only 38. Before 911 there wasn't much choice but to stay in as long as you could. Back then there were very few civilians working for DOD. Unless you knew someone you weren't getting any type of GS job. Very few contract jobs.
The contractors back then were mostly self employed. No big company behind them making millions off the government. In 2005 when I retired you were turning down job offers if you had a good reputation.
If you have the experience and good reputation it's still easy to find work. Worked with a couple of 18X Ray guys who did their five years and got out thinking they were going to make big bucks contracting. Seems like most of the guys I worked with who just got out to do the same type of work contracting. Were just lazy.

mffjm8509
07-13-2014, 04:16
Great thread. Thanks for sharing your perspective.

Received my retirement orders last week.

SF_BHT
07-13-2014, 07:33
I was lucky in some respects as I retired I started my new job on the next Monday. Doubled my pay but here are some things I had to work through.

You can not be honest with civilians. If you tell the boss that this is wrong you catch he'll and get threatened because you have now forced him to do something.

Your coworkers do not have a good work ethic. They are there to do as little as possible to get as much as they can out of the government. They will forge documents to rip off the government and if it is noted you catch hell for reporting it.

Faking TDY vouchers seams to be the norm not the exception.

Integrity is not the norm.

Lack of professionalism and if you have a professional work ethic you get run down by the slugs.

The work force has the attitude the this is just a job "paycheck". They have no concept that we are defending the American population form crooks. (I am in Fed Law-enforcement). If you are not forced to go after a crook then that is ok.

Civilians are not mission focused.

Civilians are not team players. They do not have your back. They will throw you or anyone else under the bus at a drop of the hat.

Civilians have no concept of accountability for property at work and management only will do something if you force them to.

They have no drive to help out their teammates. You can be swamped doing something and they will not offer to help.

Civilians will not answer the phone after hours because they might have to put in some extra hours. (we have availabity pay so we are supposed to be on call. Hell most do nothing for their 25% extra pay you get each week)

Ok I know some of these can be seen on active duty but when ou bring it p the majority of guys will get up and pitch in. Rant over.

Flagg
07-13-2014, 13:29
Interesting and relevant WSJ article on younger generations on civvie street:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB117702894815776259

"You are a special snowflake!"

Dragbag036
07-20-2014, 15:12
I retired just under a year ago. Fortunately for me, I knew someone in the government sector, and was offered a job as a 13 with the ability to fight for my step. The job only hires people with similar backgrounds as the folks here at PS.com, which makes the immediate work comrades just like the ones we are use to in SF. The Director believes in the team, and continually makes sure there are no secrets among us (Team room rules). That's the pro, now for the con. Everyday we work with guys and gals who do not believe in sop's, leadership, loyalty, etc...I could go on. My point is that it is a daily political game of manipulation, getting people to do things and giving them the credit in order to accomplish your goal for Americans abroad whether civilian or military.

Although you get a better salary, it depends on where you lay your head for that first job after retirement. My location taxes military retirement along with my salary, so I pay a lottttt of money to state and federal.

My wife of 24 years thought I was gonna sit in a rocking chair...NOT, but you better start explaining to your other half now what people are looking for with your skills. I'm not saying you can't get something with your degree, if you have one, its what you have been doing in your military career that "you best be able to translate into something civilian".

Many people say "thank you for your service"....but..., they don't want you putting your values on their sacred lazy ass way of doing business, at least not in the government sector. They will stab your efficiency in the heart unless it caters to their bottom line.

TrapperFrank
07-20-2014, 18:16
I retired in December of 2005 and worked for the USDA. When the economy tanked I had to take a buyout as my program no longer existed. I have used my GI Bill to get a second degree in film. This was one of the best decisions I have ever made, and will be graduating in December.

CSM-H
07-20-2014, 19:37
As PRB and others have said, the camaraderie, brotherhood is what I miss. And like others I found that civilians even those close to DoD have no values, ethics etc.
I am lucky as a couple of folks started me early in saving and investing, so not working has worked out for me, as long as I am busy... :)
Everyone has heard it before, plan early, prepare as best you can, have a plan A and B....
Get your medical records in order, the VA comp can help....

If nothing else go to school get your head straight, and assimilate to the new environment....

Also never forget there are brothers out there just like you and as some of the old jokes go, you can reach out, and like it was yesterday start the same conversation over again....stay connected, it will help with your transition.

Good luck, CSM-H