PDA

View Full Version : Louis Zamperini, triumphant 'Unbroken' warrior, dies at 97

PSM
07-04-2014, 10:22
The government announcement of Louis Zamperini's death in World War II made headlines.

Zamperini was the "Torrance Tornado," the tough kid turned track star who set a national high school record for running the mile. In 1936, he was known as "The Zamp," the 18-year-old USC standout who ran at the Berlin Olympics, where his roommate was Jesse Owens. In 1943, he was Lt. Zamperini, a bombardier on a B-24 Liberator, who, along with 10 other crew members, fell off the map on a May 27 mission over the Pacific.

When President Franklin D. Roosevelt sent his parents a formal condolence note in 1944, he had no idea that Zamperini was still alive and living a nightmare in a Japanese prison camp. For 47 days, Zamperini had drifted on a life raft, fighting off sharks and starvation with two other crew members, one of whom died. Picked up by a Japanese patrol boat, the two survivors were beaten, tortured and humiliated for more than two years.

After the war, Zamperini was told by an Army superior that his raft trip qualified him for $7.60 a day in reimbursement. But someone higher up in the command rejected it: “Request denied,” the letter said. “Travel unauthorized.”

Full LA Times article: http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-louis-zamperini-20140704-story.html#page=1

Rest in Peace, Zamp!

Pat

ZonieDiver
07-04-2014, 12:14
Rest In Peace, Sir!

I await, with cautious optimism, the movie made about the book.

PRB
07-04-2014, 12:29
RIP Zamp

dennisw
07-04-2014, 12:47
Incredible story; very courageous man. RIP.

The Reaper
07-04-2014, 13:05
I was just re-reading his story two days ago.

RIP, Sir.

Thank you for your service, and for your example. You set a high standard.

TR

Lan
07-06-2014, 15:08
Just watched a short film about Zamparini's 47 days at sea on Discovery channel titled 'Adrift- 47 Days With Sharks'. RIP Sir.