PDA

View Full Version : The Little Man Cave

DIYPatriot
07-01-2014, 09:20
When my son turned 5 he told me two things: 1) that he was old enough for a real rifle 2) that he wanted an Army fort for a bedroom because Thomas The Train was for babies. After a little consideration, I met up with a retired 12 series and we hashed out a plan one morning over coffee.

With the help of a friend, the following was built in 3 days working around the clock. I sent my wife and kids on a little trip so I could surprise the little guy. He's had a rough go of it, the past few months and as a dad, you just want to see your kids smile. By the way, the ceiling fan motor is switched off. I'm looking to replace it with something like this (http://s2.img-b.com/lightingdirect.com/imagebase/resized/x800/craftmadeimages/craftmade-wb448gg.jpg) or like this (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hunter-Fantasy-Flyer-48-in-Blue-Ceiling-Fan-59031/204788045?cm_mmc=shopping-_-bingpa-_-27-_-204788045&ci_src=328768002&ci_sku=204788045&ci_src=328768002&ci_sku=204788045) and mount it without an extensions so I'm not giving my son a free haircut every time he stands up.

LED light-up rock climbing wall w/photo sensor; serves as a night light
Dimmable mason jar lights with protective cages because we play rough
A fire tower with a quick E&E route (slide)
Belt-fed automatic nerf gun w/a swivel mount
Scalable storage options to include ammo cans (still under construction)
Camo netting
Expandable for a bottom bunk (currently designing a Willys Jeep bed that'll incorporate a hidden chair inside the radiator. This way he can use the hood as a desk).
Rope/Pulley system to send and receive things from the little boots on the ground (his little sister)

So far, the overall investment is around $700 and that's a bargain if you've ever priced a bunk bed. Most of the beds I researched were made from cheap materials in a country I despise. I found the slide on the side of the road and reconditioned it. I bought the ammo belts and nerf SAW on ebay for $35. That price included 50 darts and 6 D batteries. The LED lights were $30. The ammo cans were $20 and the hand holds for the wall were $20. The mason jar lights were $45. His four toy grenades (http://www.amazon.com/Lot-Kids-Grenades-Pretend-Play/dp/B003M2K9AO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404226977&sr=8-1&keywords=play+grenade) were $9 with free shipping. Other materials, paint and whiskey round out the rest of the project's cost.

craigepo
07-01-2014, 09:26
Amazingly cool.

One possible cheap addition: the old 101st Airborne Club in Nashville had sandbagged walls. A couple of old burlap sandbags, filled with something lighter than sand, might make an interesting, cheap, addition to your motif.

DIYPatriot
07-01-2014, 09:32
Amazingly cool.

One possible cheap addition: the old 101st Airborne Club in Nashville had sandbagged walls. A couple of old burlap sandbags, filled with something lighter than sand, might make an interesting, cheap, addition to your motif.

Thank you! I meant to add that I am looking for suggestions and of course, I'm always open to learning new things or correcting existing ones. I like the sandbag idea. I could see a lot of uses/configurations with that. I'll definitely keep it in mind. I appreciate the tip.

By the way, here's a pic of my son after playing on it for hours. I was impressed with how quickly he fell asleep that night!

PSM
07-01-2014, 10:57
Pretty damn, cool! Lucky kid. ;)

Pat

BryanK
07-01-2014, 11:15
Now that is cool! However, I may have to steal this idea when my newest addition gets a little older :cool:

DIYPatriot
07-01-2014, 12:21
Now that is cool! However, I may have to steal this idea when my newest addition gets a little older :cool:

Go for it! It's a rewarding experience. Just make sure you don't walk into the ambush that I did. A few minutes after tucking him in, I hear him shouting, "Daddy! Daaa---ddy!!!" and I'm thinking he's fallen down the rock wall or something, so I make a mad dash across the house, swing his bedroom door open and then BANG BANG BANG...he unleashed with his nerf gun and rolled a grenade down the slide. Btw those grenades actually have sound effects.

Since it appears that you have some time on your hands, you might be able to save some cash by creating a watchlist on CamelCamelCamel.com. After creating an account, I entered the URL/item number of the items I wanted. Then I set my alerts/price points and as the prices dropped I received notifications.

Divemaster
07-01-2014, 15:09
In the Wussified States of America, that is child abuse and basic training for a future mass shooter. Personally, I think it's basic training for a fine young man who will grow up knowing why this country was founded.

Ambush Master
07-01-2014, 16:00
It was a rather "Comical" experience when the Wife and I went to the "Parent-Teacher" evening @ the Elementary School when our Oldest was younger. The Teacher started out that she found it rather interesting when he had told her, earlier in the year, that his "Favorite Color" was Camoflage. But it was when he told her that he had Shot Machineguns during the Summer and had Camped out in the Davis Mountains, hunting Deer and Javelina, over Thanksgiving that were a "little far-fetched"!! The look on her face when I asked "What is "far-fetched" about that?!?! When I showed her the "pics" of him shooting Machineguns...............PRICELESS!!!

Air.177 is now in 3rd Group!!

Later
Martin

SigmaAaron
07-01-2014, 17:35
I need to enhance my building skills....thanks for the idea.

Silver Eagle
07-01-2014, 18:46
Just in case you need more ideas, fast rope & zip line:D

SF_BHT
07-01-2014, 22:38
A Swing Landing Trainer with beanbag landing pit. Suspended harnes to practice for his future jump training.

DIYPatriot
07-02-2014, 10:50
In the Wussified States of America, that is child abuse and basic training for a future mass shooter. Personally, I think it's basic training for a fine young man who will grow up knowing why this country was founded.

It never ceases to amaze me whenever I see how other parents interact with their kids (or don't). It's almost as if having children was like wanting a puppy. They take it home only to realize it requires dedication and nurturing, but they don't want to take the time and they let it run wild and are totally shocked when it attacks someone. Compared to other places I've been, America is becoming deficient, ill-prepared for life and lazy. We've gone in reverse from JFK's "ask not" speech to a nation of addicts whose drug of choice is a so-called entitlement. The only thing my son is entitled to is having a mom and dad that are hell-bent on raising him to become a solid man instilled with good and decent values so that he can take the initiative to pursue a purpose-driven life.

A Swing Landing Trainer with beanbag landing pit. Suspended harnes to practice for his future jump training. That's a cool idea and it's ironic that you mention that. We considered a rope mounted to the top support over his rock wall that would allow him to practice repelling down it.

Entire post

My son's favorite colors are camo, too (he usually tries to wear something with camo, even to church). I would've loved to have seen the expression on that teacher's face when she realized your son was telling the truth and not embellishing his story. :D By the way, he is lucky! I didn't get to fire my first automatic weapon until later in life!

Last year, while my wife was in J-bad, some of our friends invited us down to the beach. On the way home, my son asked if we could visit Camp Shelby (that's where he last saw momma prior to her going wheels up). We get there and he's obviously sad. A few other soldiers noticed and I told them the back story. Next thing I know, we're invited to an impromptu cookout and they give him some combat patches and one of their PC's. Totally made his day ;)

SigmaAaron
07-02-2014, 13:35
A ladder out the window for all the dawsons creek girls when hes older.:D

DIYPatriot
07-02-2014, 14:49
A ladder out the window for all the dawsons creek girls when hes older.:D

His mother mans the Ma Deuce quite effectively. I doubt they'll ever get close enough for those attempts. With that being said, his tower stands next to his bedroom window. We're saving up some cash for a telescope. When I told him about this he said, "Yes! You're the best dad ever!!!" and I'm thinking, "Alright...cool...glad you like astronomy and share your mom's affinity for the solar system" and he goes on to say, "Now, I can see whenever Julie Anne or Jenna are outside playing!!!" - they live quite a way down the street and they're 8 and 6, respectively. They're also very cute and he's told me this numerous times.

He's 5 and he's already gathering intel and planning his recon of the ladies. Not sure whether I should be proud or terrified. BTW, this pic is of him when we were watching a documentary on Tora Bora. He slips off to his room and returns with a shemagh that a buddy of mine sent him a couple months ago.

PSM
07-02-2014, 15:50
We're saving up some cash for a telescope.

Stay away from refractors as a first telescope...or a tenth for that matter, unless you are rich.

This is the beginner scope I recommend: Astroscan (http://www.scientificsonline.com/astroscan-plus-telescope.html)! I have an 8", 5 1/4", and, until recently, an Astroscan. It's easy to use, has good optics with a nice wide view, and can take a beating. It was the one I always took camping. It was almost 35 years old when I gave it away. I also took it as carry-on until it started freaking out airport security. :D

ETA: Another good beginner tool is a good pair of 7x50 binoculars that can be mounted on a tripod. A lot of amateurs, with very large scopes, end up in a recliner looking through the binos far more than the scope. They are also often needed to "recon" the area of the sky you want to aim the scope at. Plus, they have everyday uses, as well.

Pat

Monsoon65
07-02-2014, 16:38
So, when are you gonna adopt me so I can have something like that!?

DIYPatriot
07-03-2014, 09:13
Stay away from refractors as a first telescope...or a tenth for that matter, unless you are rich.

This is the beginner scope I recommend: Astroscan (http://www.scientificsonline.com/astroscan-plus-telescope.html)! I have an 8", 5 1/4", and, until recently, an Astroscan. It's easy to use, has good optics with a nice wide view, and can take a beating. It was the one I always took camping. It was almost 35 years old when I gave it away. I also took it as carry-on until it started freaking out airport security. :D

ETA: Another good beginner tool is a good pair of 7x50 binoculars that can be mounted on a tripod. A lot of amateurs, with very large scopes, end up in a recliner looking through the binos far more than the scope. They are also often needed to "recon" the area of the sky you want to aim the scope at. Plus, they have everyday uses, as well.

Thanks for the tips, Pat! I'm definitely looking for something budget friendly that can also survive the wrath of a 5 yr old. I like the idea of the bino's, too. That makes sense and as often as we camp/explore I can see him using them, no pun intended.

DIYPatriot
07-03-2014, 09:15
So, when are you gonna adopt me so I can have something like that!?
The truth is that I built it so that I'll have a sweet set up when I'm old and worn out and he's having to take care of me. He just thinks its his! ;)

DIYPatriot
12-16-2014, 09:18
I couldn't find my son or a couple strands of Christmas lights that I bought to put on the trees outside. I heard him in his room and could tell he was busy at work doing something, so I just let him do his thing. After a little while, things were quiet and this is what I found.

JJ_BPK
12-16-2014, 09:40
Awesome.. :lifter

Javadrinker
12-16-2014, 10:15
really cool!

cbtengr
12-16-2014, 14:51
A kid who knows how to be a kid, must be a lot of fun being his Dad!

JimP
12-16-2014, 14:56
Well Done Patriot!! You are a good man.

PSM
12-16-2014, 17:36

Pat

UPDATE: I was looking to buy another Astroscan and found that they are made in China now and the QC is inconsistent, so I'm pulling my advice on this until I can check it out. That is all!

Pat

DIYPatriot
12-16-2014, 22:07
Thanks everyone and thanks for the update, Pat. I have been researching and still haven't made a purchase, yet. For now, he uses one of my less expensive spotting scopes. Figured no age is too young to learn how to use the tools of the trade. He's such a good kid, too. A couple weeks ago, he came up to me and said, "Dad- I need to stack some firewood and help in the garage."

I admired his offer to help. I wasn't expecting him to say that since he had a friend over. He went on to tell me that I spent enough money on the family and he wanted to help buy some Christmas presents with his own money. For a little man like that, I'll bust my ass twice as hard. He is an old soul with a heart of gold. You never have to tell him to do something more than once and he's a self-starter.

I'll tell ya a funny story about one of those gifts. He ended up buying a little $15 ring for his 4 year old sister. Like most kids, she was begging to open it up. He decided to let her take a peek and unwrap her present. She loved it and thanked him by giving him a big hug. Just when I think they're gonna have a sweet moment, he tries to take it back because he wants her to wait until Christmas since no one else has opened their gifts, yet.

She started to cry. I had to have a talk with him and explain that when we give a woman a gift, especially a ring, that there's simply no "getting it back". He said, "I don't like that. Next time she's getting a fishing pole." It's never too young to learn that particular life lesson.

DIYPatriot
04-29-2016, 11:46
I'm adding a second bunk below my son's top bunk. Been thinking about building a jeep style bottom bunk (to make it look as if it is backed up and sitting underneath the top bunk). Considering wiring it up with an iPod/iPad & USB interface, speakers a working CB radio, headlights to serve as night lights/cool lights for effect and storage underneath (in between the wheels). I'm not a fan of TVs, especially in kids rooms, but have considered adding a mini projector to the windshield so he can kick back and watch movies on special occasions on the wall directly in front of the jeep/bunk.

I sure could use input from anyone who's BTDT, especially regarding underbed storage/cabinet work or might have an alternate idea for a second bunk. Also, the little sister is pissed that she doesn't have something just as cool, but I'm working on plans for her, too. She said, "I want a princess cottage with a machine gun like his!". So, that'll be interesting.

DIYPatriot
04-29-2016, 11:48
Amazingly cool.

We took your sandbag idea and are incorporating it into an outdoor clubhouse/fort for the kids. Once we're finished, I'll post pics. Got a lot going on this spring/summer.