PDA

View Full Version : SAM Junctional Tourniquet

MtnGoat
06-23-2014, 19:09
New Tourniquet Helps Save Soldiers from Most ‘Common Cause of Preventable Death’

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/06/23/new-tourniquet-helps-save-soldiers-from-most-common-cause-of-preventable-death/

I'm no medic, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn express. :cool: But this looks like an awesome system. Seems a lot easier than what we have been having to do.

Here is the YouTube video if the article vid doesn't open.

http://youtu.be/xwS5jGN3CMA

Brush Okie
06-23-2014, 20:15
We used to have something similar it was called MAST pants. The issue I see is placement needs to be perfect where as the MAST pants inflated the whole area ie compressed everywhere. MAST pants did work when used properly and were multi use, but the surgeons didn't like them so away they went.

I see good possibility with this but I would like to play with one first to see. On the other hand if someone is bleeding out in those areas ANYTHING is better than nothing.

11Ber
06-24-2014, 14:21
The placement doesn't need to be perfect but you need some knowledge of underlying anatomy or at least the ability to detect the iliac pulses. It is bulky and has some plastic pieces but it is another chance to steal life from the jaws of death.

Trapper John
06-24-2014, 19:55
Prediction: With the phenomenal advancements in hemostatic agent technology, tourniquet technology will become obsolete - JMHO.

06-25-2014, 16:18
This product has the added bonus of use as a pelvic splint.

swatsurgeon
06-29-2014, 17:58
This product has the added bonus of use as a pelvic splint.

It's not any thing close to being an adequate pelvic splint.... I have played with this device for over 6 months and a splint it's not......stick with other options for appropriate pelvic closure.
As far as the high femoral compression.......I have been using it with our SWAT team in the shoot house and square range under " adverse" circumstances and will tell you that is is not fast, easy or 100% reliable interms of placement and stopping flow (I taped a Doppler to the lower extremity/ foot to check for pulsatile flow). If you have a cold zone, plenty of time and relatively good circumstances, then I can get it placed better and more reliably.
It's just another tool, one that may stop more 'proximal' bleeding of the distal iliac artery/vein or femorals (based on location) but like anything else, having options is the best bet for success.

ss

MtnGoat
06-29-2014, 23:01
It's not any thing close to being an adequate pelvic splint.... I have played with this device for over 6 months and a splint it's not......stick with other options for appropriate pelvic closure.
As far as the high femoral compression.......I have been using it with our SWAT team in the shoot house and square range under " adverse" circumstances and will tell you that is is not fast, easy or 100% reliable interms of placement and stopping flow (I taped a Doppler to the lower extremity/ foot to check for pulsatile flow). If you have a cold zone, plenty of time and relatively good circumstances, then I can get it placed better and more reliably.
It's just another tool, one that may stop more 'proximal' bleeding of the distal iliac artery/vein or femorals (based on location) but like anything else, having options is the best bet for success.

ss

Thanks a lot for the input SS!!

Brush Okie
06-29-2014, 23:33

ss

Do you guys carry a KED? I found it works well in the field for pedi backboard and hip fx. on adults when turned upside down. I never used it for its intended purpose ie car extraction.

swatsurgeon
06-30-2014, 00:35
Do you guys carry a KED? I found it works well in the field for pedi backboard and hip fx. on adults when turned upside down. I never used it for its intended purpose ie car extraction.

Don't carry a KED... No room, no obvious need . A fully stocked ALS unit is 1-2 blocks away usually. Thought about one or a 1/2 back board in the BEAR but still haven't justified the need. Believe it or not, the discussion of one centered around the K-9 having to be rescued or carried out

ss