PDA

View Full Version : GI bill question

dendankin
06-23-2014, 11:17
I am currently in the NG SF pipeline. If all goes well and I make the NG team I plan on getting an advance degree. Does anyone know if the extensive SF training qualifies as AD for the purposes of the GI Bill?

Also,if anyone here who was getting their phD while being a member of a NG SF unit would share their experience, Id very much appreciate it.

The Reaper
06-23-2014, 11:48
I am currently in the NG SF pipeline. If all goes well and I make the NG team I plan on getting an advance degree. Does anyone know if the extensive SF training qualifies as AD for the purposes of the GI Bill?

Also,if anyone here who was getting their phD while being a member of a NG SF unit would share their experience, Id very much appreciate it.

Denis, please do not post the same question more than once.

If someone can assist you, they will.

TR

dendankin
06-23-2014, 12:20
Denis, please do not post the same question more than once.

If someone can assist you, they will.

TR

My apologies, didn't meant to do that and not sure how to delete a thread.

Tiny Elvis
08-02-2014, 10:26
I can shed SOME light on this because I am currently tumbling down the VA rabbit hole. But I too could use some help from other members who might know more about this topic.

Short answer...no. The q course doesn't count towards the GI Bill for NG guys.

I'm a NG 18D. Following graduation from the Q Course I went out to 1st Group as an individual augmentee (I think that's what they call it) for a year to help them fill out a team for an afghan trip. When I got back, I was planning to use the GI Bill to go back to college for PA school (or possibly MD) pre-reqs. The VA told me that I was only eligible for 50%. The q course will not count for me because I was on Title 32 orders instead of Title 10. The only reason I got the 50% was due to my year with 1SFG (7 months of which were in AFG).

If you are already in the Q, check your orders. If they say Title 32 you, like me, are probably out of luck. Is it fair? IMHO...HELL NO!!! It should absolutely count. The course is identical for AD and NG. And it's a lot more demanding than some kid who spends 3 years as a cook and collects the entire 100%. Now I'm starting to rant...

If anyone else has experience with this I would appreciate some feedback.