PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know this holster????

Endorphin Rush
12-07-2004, 09:12
Here I am trying to replace a Safariland 6004 holster for the same holster with the capability to accect a weapon with a mounted light...when I run into the G Code SOC holster made by Edge Works Manufacturing (www.tacticalholsters.com/socrig.htm). Now...the reviews I've read have some pretty good things to say about this holster. But I don't know anyone who has personally used one.

Have any of you folks used this holster...or know anyone whom you trust that has???? Any feedback is appreciated.

Endorphin Rush
12-07-2004, 09:32
If it helps at all...Lightfighter has this holster on their website with a description.

Here's the pic from their sight.

Surgicalcric
12-07-2004, 11:02
Have you asked your question over there as well? I know of a couple people who have the holster who post there regularly. Some bought the holster in the drop leg rig and I believe one of them had Gene at HSGI Mod one of his holsters to carry the kydex insert.

Sorry I dont have specifics.

Crip

Endorphin Rush
12-07-2004, 12:50
Surgicalcric,

No, I haven't asked on their forum. I've purchased a few pieces of gear from them but never visited the forum. That will be my next move. Thanks for the suggestion!!

I came here first because I am comfortable with the calibre of the members and the factual replies provided to all questions.

I did see a review mentioning the individual who had Gene at HSGI do the mod for his rig. From the review, it sounds like good stuff. (I believe I found the review at DefenseReview.com).

Thanks mate,

ER

Endorphin Rush
12-07-2004, 12:55
As a matter of fact, here's the review for anyone that might be interested...

DefRev's previous article on G-Code Kydex tactical holsters by Edge-Works Manufacturing was published in late September, 2002. It was titled "Looking for a Kydex Holster for Tactical Use or CCW? It's G-Code Time." The article mentioned Edge-Works'/G-Code's excellent REAC Ready Rig and SOC Rig, both of which are tactical thigh rigs, made from Kydex. The SOC Rig is particularly novel and innovative.

Well, there's an excellent thread that was recently posted at TacticalForums.com by "tire_iron". DefRev highly recommends you read it, as it's very informative. To read the thread, just...

click on this link. The thread is titled "G-Code SOC holster review".

In his post, "tire_iron" also mentions High Speed Gear Inc.'s excellent Drop Leg Holster made specifically for the Edge-Works Manufacturing/G-Code SOC Rig. According to "tire_iron, Gene Higdon, High Speed Gear Inc.'s owner, "makes the very best drop leg holster for ‘field wear’ in the world right now", and "also makes some of the best ‘chest rigs’ for carrying magazines on the planet, too." That's pretty high praise, indeed.

"Tim_L" has posted an excellent high-res pic of a SOC Rig containing a 1911 pistol outfitted with (Coyote brown G10) Simonich Gunner Grips (dimpled grips). According to Tim_L, he experienced slightly faster draw times (1/10th of a second) with the SOC rig over the Safariland 6004 tactical thigh rig.

Scot Evans owns Edge-Works Manufacturing/G-Code. He can be reached at 910-455-9834, or via email at scott@tacticalholsters.com.

Gene Higdon is the owner of High Speed Gear Inc., and he can be reached at 910-325-1000, or toll-free at 877-301-2116 (within the U.S.). If you'd like to contact High Speed Gear Inc. by email, their email address is info@highspeedgearinc.com.

eggroll
12-07-2004, 18:26
do keep in mind too, Gene is under the gun to get regular items out the door, so you may experience some delay in getting one of his DL Soc holsters.

Had an opportunity to try one out for a 1911 and it was designed to accommodate a lightmount too. The flyaway price was in the low 200's

EGG

Endorphin Rush
08-24-2005, 22:32
I asked the question originally, so I'll post a brief review for anyone that may be interested.

I purchased this holster from Gene at High Speed Gear back in February, 2005. Now, while this holster is not for everyone, it fills my needs. It will probably not suit many who do not find the need to transition from primary to secondary weapon often. It is bulky and adds weight that may be a hindrance to anyone who doesn't have that need. Gene's custom cordura holster will do the job for many.

While I've heard some stories of people having problems with the locking mechanism on this holster, I know of no one personally who has had any problems and I certainly have not. This holster has operated as it was intended to and is quite fast to both draw from and reholster.

Gene himself, and HSGi in general, have been great. I've ordered two items this year from them and both times spoke with Gene. He's a great guy!! I called each time to place the orders by phone and each time was provided details about the items that I hadn't even asked for. To top things off, Gene got each of the two items out to me within a week. Pretty damn good for a custom gear maker whose products are in demand.