PDA

View Full Version : Movie - The Quiet American

NousDefionsDoc
12-07-2004, 00:16
Have you guys seen this version of Graham Greene's book? I watched it last night on HBO.

mumbleypeg
12-07-2004, 12:39
I'm a pretty good Graham Green fan. I really enjoyed the book. I liked the movie also, though it is different. Michael Caine is great playing the burned out, yet stylishly loaded reporter. The surprise for me is / was Brendan Fraser who when he is in a good movie is really good. I unfortunately always see him as George of the Jungle or a thawed out caveman. As Pyle, Fraser captures "young man with a mission" spirit of his character.
I saw the movie when it came out, at the time I was wading through Halberstams Best and Brightest and rereading Dispatches again. This might have influenced my view of the movie.

brownapple
12-07-2004, 17:38
I've got the movie on DVD. Might watch it again. Thought it was pretty good when I watched it months ago.

Jimbo
12-07-2004, 18:12
I've got the movie on DVD. Might watch it again. Thought it was pretty good when I watched it months ago.

Ditto.

sandytroop
12-07-2004, 18:25
Yes, I loved this film. Of course, for the true Michael Caine afficianado, it may not touch the same heights as his first epic Zulu (arrogant young posh officer chappie out in the real world!) or even better, his Peachy Carnahan from Kiplings "The Man Who Would Be King." Still, could there have been a better choice for the lead in this film? No, certainly not.