PDA

View Full Version : Paratrooper not happy about where he landed

Sdiver
06-10-2014, 12:44
I know I wouldn't have been happy.

http://www.military.com/video/specialties-and-personnel/paratroopers/paratrooper-not-happy-about-drop-location/3613582506001/

:munchin

Pete
06-10-2014, 13:42
Looks like the DZSO didn't work the math right. See the lake?

The whole stick was over the tree line by the time his chute opened.

And pulling a good one riser slip don't do much good other than make you feel better.

Joker
06-10-2014, 13:46
I got that the-shirt about three times on Gatun DZ.:D

Guymullins
06-10-2014, 14:00
Did anyone notice the navigators beer can being tossed out the door at the beginning?

Dean Jarvis
06-10-2014, 14:31
It helps a lot if the jumpmaster would stick his head out the door to see where in the hell the DZ is before giving them the command to stand in the door.:rolleyes:

Dean Jarvis
06-10-2014, 14:56
Maybe you noticed the JM didn't look out the door to clear the aircraft and make sure they didn't have a towed jumper and then check with the JM in the other door with a thumbs up for an all clear before exiting the aircraft. WTF are they teaching in JM school these days:confused:

hotshot
06-10-2014, 15:00
I despise CARP ops. GMRS is the way to go.

miclo18d
06-10-2014, 17:07
It helps a lot if the jumpmaster would stick his head out the door to see where in the hell the DZ is before giving them the command to stand in the door.:rolleyes:
This was the way I was raised as a JM and the way we did it even when the FM changed to "clear to the rear".

As an AI during Group JM Course. We taught spotting the DZ.

I have a few racetracks under my belt where I felt the plane was not in proper position or the code letter was not in sight. I have also gotten down on my hands and knees to look under the plane to spot the code letter. What do you need JM's for if you aren't going to do anything but stand there and look pretty.

The other end of that is the DZSO. I used to do a lot of VIRS drops in the 101st LRS. We did CARP for tactical jumps with AF cargo planes, did VIRS for helo, and I may have done one GMRS for helo resupply.

When in SF it was always GMRS. Big planes, small planes, helos, whatever.

VIRS and GMRS are the DZSO's responsibility to put troops on target and I have never put anyone in the trees! A good DZSO/JM team is imperative to a good drop.

As far as tree landings go, I have 4 tree landings under my belt. 1 on Fryar DZ (how do mess that one up?), 1 on McKenna DZ, 1 on Arrowhead DZ (I went out on the red light on that one), and 1 on St Mere in the Q-course (about 40 feet up in a pine tree) all but the St Mere jump were CARP, the St Mere jump was high winds, but the DZSO should have corrected that!

The Reaper
06-10-2014, 18:49
Maybe you noticed the JM didn't look out the door to clear the aircraft and make sure they didn't have a towed jumper and then check with the JM in the other door with a thumbs up for an all clear before exiting the aircraft. WTF are they teaching in JM school these days:confused:

I believe that is a Canadian unit jump.

I don't think the JMs were outside the AC long enough to have spotted the DZ.

They were off track and exiting late, IMHO.

TR

sinjefe
06-10-2014, 20:49
Remember when doing a CARP drop (at least 20-30 years ago), you didn't spot the DZ. You were relying on the aircraft to put you in the right spot. One of the many reasons I did more tree landings than not when in 1/75.

MtnGoat
06-10-2014, 21:03
I got that the-shirt about three times on Gatun DZ.:D

Haha me too.. Twice.

10 Times better that Elephant Grass!! :D

Guymullins
06-11-2014, 04:47
One of the pre-requisites for a good spot is for the spotter to be able to see the ground directly beneath the aircraft. The pilots vision is severely restricted in that direction, so I have always believed that the Jumpmaster should do the spot, together with giving the pilot course directions and the throttle-back command.

pbr549xxx
06-11-2014, 11:34
I believe that is a Canadian unit jump.

I don't think the JMs were outside the AC long enough to have spotted the DZ.

They were off track and exiting late, IMHO.

TR

Roger that Sir. Thats a Prachute Company in the Candadian Army's Princess Patricias Canadian Light Infantry. Canada used to have a Parachute Regiment, but it was disbanded in the 90's due to disciplinary problems while deployed in Somalia. After the regiment was disbanded, its companies where assigned to Battalions in Canada's Infantry Regiments.

Radar Rider
06-12-2014, 18:32
I saw a dude land on the St. Mere DZ port-a-potty, and saw a dude that landed on the far side of Chicken Road. All were viewed from the ground, of course. My jumpers always hit the DZ.

joshua20
06-13-2014, 11:49
tree landings are the softest ones