PDA

View Full Version : Totin' Chip

mikec71
06-09-2014, 14:07
My nephew just recived his Totin' Chip from his Boy Scout Troop. I am looking for recomendations for a knife to give him for his achivement and upcoming birthday. Any sugestions?

Thanks,

Mike

2018commo
06-09-2014, 15:21
An inexpensive one, the issue BSA with can opener and awl is a good place to start.

The Reaper
06-09-2014, 15:37
Swiss Army.

Mid-sized, maybe a Super Tinker.

TR

Barbarian
06-09-2014, 15:54
I'll second The Reaper`s suggestion: Swiss Army (Victorinox). They're practical, affordable, and the blade steel is surprisingly decent.

Snaquebite
06-09-2014, 16:59
Official Boy Scout knife. I still have my first one.

Peregrino
06-09-2014, 19:04
I'm with TR too. Excepting the (plastic) stag scales, the official BSA knife I remember was virtually identical to a demo knife - a grossly overrated piece of cutlery if I've ever seen one. Stick with a genuine Swiss Army knife. (Though I admit to having retired all of mine in favor of Leathermans and a Sebenza! :p)

Red Flag 1
06-09-2014, 19:11
BSA is a good choice, as is the Swiss Army knife suggested by TR. My BSA is still with me, as are a couple of Swiss Army knives. When I bought my son his first, I took note of the array of products the other Scouts were showing off. The showing off part kept me conservative, and I went with a simple Swiss Army product with only a couple of added tools. It kept the knife in his pocket, while others played with theirs; to the point of distraction. He still had the knife when he made Eagle, class of '88, and has it to this day.

Ret10Echo
06-09-2014, 19:32
Have had this one for a while.... Still holds a good edge and an easy carry.

Peregrino
06-09-2014, 19:42

Excellent compromise! Best of both worlds. (Shouldn't have surprised me, BSA is a lot more upscale now than when I was in.)

Streck-Fu
06-10-2014, 05:21
The official BSA knives don't seem to be the same quality as years ago. And you can buy the Victorinox Swiss Army knives in BSA versions. I would go that route.

LINK (http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/swiss-army/victorinox/swiss-army-knives/boy-scout)

mojaveman
06-10-2014, 10:47
The official BSA knives don't seem to be the same quality as years ago.

Probably because they're made in China. If I remember correctly, Imperial knives which is an American company made the Camp King and also the Boy Scout knife back in the day. I have a nice example of one lost in the garage somewhere.

Santo Tomas
06-10-2014, 11:23

The Swiss Army is a good one. My boys had one during their Scouting years and still have them. If you go this route recommend the saw blade is a cross-cut.