PDA

View Full Version : Para Warthog

Sacamuelas
12-05-2004, 20:52
I was reading through most of the handgun rags last night sippin' on some FFC (Frozen fag coffee) at the local outlet of the People's Bookstore (BooksAMillion) and came across an article on the Para Warthog .45.

Anyone here have any experience with this little .45? It holds 10+1 in what appears to be a very small package. I am thinking of adding a small frame, @3" barrel .45 to my carry options. :munchin

Smokin Joe
12-05-2004, 21:00
My understanding is that it is smaller than the officers model or a Kimber Ultra. Would be fun to shoot (once or twice).

The Reaper
12-05-2004, 21:07
I was reading through most of the handgun rags last night sippin' on some FFC (Frozen fag coffee) at the local outlet of the People's Bookstore (BooksAMillion) and came across an article on the Para Warthog .45.

Anyone here have any experience with this little .45? It holds 10+1 in what appears to be a very small package. I am thinking of adding a small frame, 3" barrel .45 to my carry options. :munchin

I am a Para fan.

It is a renamed Para P-10, which is the only Para I have ever owned that wouldn't run out of the box. Mine went back to Para's US service center twice and to two local gunsmiths at least four times to the tune of several hundred dollars before it would run right. Even now, I don't completely trust it.

Apparently, Para realized that and is now marketing it under a different name to avoid its well-deserved rep.

It is a very small pistol, and once it runs, is about as much firepower as you can get in that sized package.

I would not buy one till I had seen it run for myself, though.

Just my .02, YMMV.

TR

Sacamuelas
12-05-2004, 21:14
Well, coming from a Para man... that says a lot. Thanks for the info TR. I think I will look elsewhere.

rubberneck
12-05-2004, 22:32
I am a Para fan.

It is a renamed Para P-10, which is the only Para I have ever owned that wouldn't run out of the box. Mine went back to Para's US service center twice and to two local gunsmiths at least four times to the tune of several hundred dollars before it would run right. Even now, I don't completely trust it.

Apparently, Para realized that and is now marketing it under a different name to avoid its well-deserved rep.

It is a very small pistol, and once it runs, is about as much firepower as you can get in that sized package.

I would not buy one till I had seen it run for myself, though.

Just my .02, YMMV.

TR

I know two guys who's experience closely mirrors yours. One guy sold his at a loss just to be rid of it and that was after spending and additional $500 with a smith and after Para replaced the original gun. If they could ever work out the kinks it would be an interesting CCW gun until then it is nothing more than a glorified paper weight IMHO.

The Reaper
12-06-2004, 18:19
Well, you asked, so I took a few pics.

Here it is with a fullsized P-14 and a Smith 642 snubbie.

See it beneath the 642?

What would you rather have in roughly the same sized package, 5 rounds of .38 Special, or 10 rounds of .45 ACP?

TR

rubberneck
12-06-2004, 19:39
What would you rather have in roughly the same sized package, 5 rounds of .38 Special, or 10 rounds of .45 ACP?

TR

None of the above. I would take the Glock 29 and have ten rounds of full house 10MM in a small reliable package before I used the warthog or a snubie. I guess if it had to be a 45 and I couldn't used the small glock I would consider the Para if I could assure myself it wouldn't choke at the worst possible moment.

I had a noted 1911 smith tell me that they make their hay on 1911's with barrels under 4 inches. Since the slide is so light and it cycles so fast that your taking a chance on any of the compact 1911's.

Edited to note:

I wanted to make sure I wasn't talking out of my arse on this one so I got the measurements of both the Glock 30 (45) and the P-10 and they are almost identical.

The Reaper
12-06-2004, 20:15
None of the above. I would take the Glock 29 and have ten rounds of full house 10MM in a small reliable package before I used the warthog or a snubie. I guess if it had to be a 45 and I couldn't used the small glock I would consider the Para if I could assure myself it wouldn't choke at the worst possible moment.

I had a noted 1911 smith tell me that they make their hay on 1911's with barrels under 4 inches. Since the slide is so light and it cycles so fast that your taking a chance on any of the compact 1911's.

Edited to note:

I wanted to make sure I wasn't talking out of my arse on this one so I got the measurements of both the Glock 30 (45) and the P-10 and they are almost identical.

Well, since you seem to want to jump in here with both feet, come on in.

1. Did you read my caveats to buying/carring a P-10/Warthog above? I believe that I made clear that it may, or may not be reliable, and caveat emptor.

2. Your 10mm (Lite) on a good day is about the same potency as a .40 S&W (+P). I'll take the .45 ACP, thanks, especially if I lived in a state where hollow-points were illegal. You ever fired at anyone with those pieces?

3. Your .45ACP Glock has a weak, unsupported chamber, so I could not use the LeMas I prefer for carry ammo. Runs fine in the Paras.

4. My P-12s and above all run fine out of the boxes. The P-10 is the only one I ever had trouble with. My Glock 23 is more reliable than my P-10, but less than my other Paras. Caveat emptor, remember?

5. The Glock slide is significantly bulkier, over .30" wider, and more than an inch longer, which by my carry permit, is a LOT bigger to carry than the P-10. I have fired both, holstered both, and laid them on top of one another to check. You shot or even carried the Para or the Glock much?

You carry what you want, and be happy with it.

Don't knock what you haven't tried, especially when your research is theoretical.

TR

Sacamuelas
12-06-2004, 20:26
Ah yes, as always with TR's excellent photography - the devil is in the details. Good news folks....Based on what I see, I am predicting a beautiful day tomorrow-it was night when you took that pic and not morning right TR?

ALso, it makes me want to get the clubs out of the car and go hit em' as I feel almost as if I were at the home of American golf.

Great pics TR. I appreciate the size references,etc.

Rubberneck-
thanks for the reply. I can't get a glock or the Team Sergeant will start calling me boy or something degrading like that. LOL I appreciate the suggestions though.

The Reaper
12-06-2004, 20:31
Ah yes, as always with TR's excellent photography - the devil is in the details. Good news folks....Based on what I see, I am predicting a beautiful day tomorrow-it was night when you took that pic and not morning right TR?

ALso, it makes me want to get the clubs out of the car and go hit em' as I feel almost as if I were at the home of American golf.

Great pics TR. I appreciate the size references,etc.

Rubberneck-
thanks for the reply. I can't get a glock or the Team Sergeant will start calling me boy or something degrading like that. LOL I appreciate the suggestions though.

You are able to predict the weather from a gun pic?

Wha' kine voodoo mon you are?

TR

jatx
12-06-2004, 20:43
TR,

I know you're a Para guy, but what do you think about the double stack .45s from STI and Wilson? I usually carry a Baer Stinger, but would switch for the extra four rounds if they were reliable.

Thx.

Air.177
12-06-2004, 20:59
We have sold several of these guns and I have handled them on multiple occasions. They are not comfortable for me and I do not feel that I would be able to get enough of a grip on them to control them as much as I would like. I personally like the Kahr handguns if I am forced to choose a super compact. With second place going to the glock 26 which doesn't feel much better than the warthog, but fires 9mm which is admittedly lighter recoiling than 45. The 26 could also be carried with one of my 23 round G-17 mags as a reload. The 23 rounder would also act as a grip extension when it was used. Just my .02, Remember, I am just a Gunstore cowboy at this point so take it or leave it.

The Reaper
12-06-2004, 21:13
TR,

I know you're a Para guy, but what do you think about the double stack .45s from STI and Wilson? I usually carry a Baer Stinger, but would switch for the extra four rounds if they were reliable.

Thx.

Never tried their double stacks, only seen them as raceguns.

I played with the STIs at the SHOT last year, and was interested, but with over a half dozen Paras, I have sort of learned my way around them and am kind of set.

This years SHOT, with the AWB lifted, should be a blast! I already have an appointment at the Armalite and Para booths.

TR

Sacamuelas
12-06-2004, 22:02
You are able to predict the weather from a gun pic?
TR
TR-
You don't know why I predicted fair weather tomorrow??? Can anyone help my landlocked country boy friend out? :munchin I even gave a hint with the night comment...

The Reaper
12-06-2004, 22:06
TR-
You don't know why I predicted fair weather tomorrow??? Can anyone help my landlocked country boy friend out? :munchin I even gave a hint with the night comment...

'Fraid not.

Please, whip it on me o' expert forecaster/toothboy.

TR

Sacamuelas
12-06-2004, 22:18
To coast trash such as myself, there is an old saying that helps predict the weather based on what you see when you wake up or before you get back in to the camp in the evening. It weather prediction is usually accurate.

“Red sky at night, sailor’s delight. Red sky in morning, sailor’s warning”

Your pics all showed the distinctive red reflection from your area during the evening hours; therefore you should get good weather tomorrow. (I know, it was a red photon microlight but it was the thought that counts- I thought you did it on purpose when I first saw it)

BTW- I have since googled it, and this phrase dates back to biblical times, so even a nonpagan like NDD must believe in its truth.
In the Bible, (Matthew XVI: 2-3,) Jesus said:
“When in evening, ye say, it will be fair weather: For the sky is red. And in the morning, it will be foul weather today; for the sky is red and lowering.”

So much for my gre-gre voodoo... its a fact even the pope won't argue.

The Reaper
12-06-2004, 22:31
To coast trash such as myself, there is an old saying that helps predict the weather based on what you see when you wake up or before you get back in to the camp in the evening. It weather prediction is usually accurate.

“Red sky at night, sailor’s delight. Red sky in morning, sailor’s warning”

Your pics all showed the distinctive red reflection from your area during the evening hours; therefore you should get good weather tomorrow. (I know, it was a red photon microlight but it was the thought that counts- I thought you did it on purpose when I first saw it)

BTW- I have since googled it, and this phrase dates back to biblical times, so even a nonpagan like NDD must believe in its truth.
In the Bible, (Matthew XVI: 2-3,) Jesus said:
“When in evening, ye say, it will be fair weather: For the sky is red. And in the morning, it will be foul weather today; for the sky is red and lowering.”

So much for my gre-gre voodoo... its a fact even the pope won't argue.

I had no idea that a Surefire flashlight had any significant effect on the weather, Mr. Prognosticator.

Do you make this many assumptions in your day job? :munchin

TR

Sacamuelas
12-06-2004, 22:47
Do not doubt the juju...or suffer the same fate as the people's medic!

Sir, I was simply playing the Aprofsoldier version of Where's Waldo with your pic...

As to your comment, I had already stated that the backlight was obviously artificial... If I was guilty of any poor assumptions- it was giving you to much credit for your potential methods of covertly disseminating information in a public forum. I stand corrected, you simply used a red light instead of a white one for backgroung lighting. ;) :D LOL

At least some of the non-coastal folks might have learned something about a natural weather prediction technique.

Smokin Joe
12-07-2004, 01:26
At least some of the non-coastal folks might have learned something about a natural weather prediction technique.

Yup good rule of thumb. But I perfer Dobler. Much like I perfer a GPS to star navigation.

:lifter

Saca you going for a FOG award?

TR,

Sir do you know if you Have to have an FFL to get in or not? I'm just wondering if being an LEO Firearms, Defensive Tactics, and Taser Instructor is enough to get me in or do you think I'm going to have to get an I.D. for my Dad's Explosives company to get in? Thanks for any info.

I looked on there web page and only say the FFL, "in the trade" business card,

rubberneck
12-07-2004, 06:46
Well, since you seem to want to jump in here with both feet, come on in.

1. Did you read my caveats to buying/carring a P-10/Warthog above? I believe that I made clear that it may, or may not be reliable, and caveat emptor.

2. Your 10mm (Lite) on a good day is about the same potency as a .40 S&W (+P). I'll take the .45 ACP, thanks, especially if I lived in a state where hollow-points were illegal. You ever fired at anyone with those pieces?

3. Your .45ACP Glock has a weak, unsupported chamber, so I could not use the LeMas I prefer for carry ammo. Runs fine in the Paras.

4. My P-12s and above all run fine out of the boxes. The P-10 is the only one I ever had trouble with. My Glock 23 is more reliable than my P-10, but less than my other Paras. Caveat emptor, remember?

5. The Glock slide is significantly bulkier, over .30" wider, and more than an inch longer, which by my carry permit, is a LOT bigger to carry than the P-10. I have fired both, holstered both, and laid them on top of one another to check. You shot or even carried the Para or the Glock much?

You carry what you want, and be happy with it.

Don't knock what you haven't tried, especially when your research is theoretical.

TR

If I came accross as calling you out than I apologize. I have been around here and Socnet long enough to realize that it isn't a smart career choice.

The Reaper
12-07-2004, 08:39
TR,

Sir do you know if you Have to have an FFL to get in or not? I'm just wondering if being an LEO Firearms, Defensive Tactics, and Taser Instructor is enough to get me in or do you think I'm going to have to get an I.D. for my Dad's Explosives company to get in? Thanks for any info.

I looked on there web page and only say the FFL, "in the trade" business card,

You do not have to be an FFL holder, but you have to be in the shooting, hunting, or outdoor industry. Blasting will probably not count. LEO creds may.

Walk-up creds are available, and are ungodly expensive.

Besides, it takes three days of steady walking to cover everything, and the extra day to close loops, pick up gear, etc.

Go to the site, check out the requirements, and either register, or find a local gun store who has people going to see if they will help you with a set of creds.

http://www.shotshow.org/

Good luck!

TR

mumbleypeg
12-07-2004, 11:42
They have a very liberal interpretation of "in the industry". I sell Leeches for crissake. I got a badge last year. Now my cover is blown....I can't go anyway. I was looking forward to looking at a sounder of Warthogs as well as several other tools.

Sacamuelas
12-07-2004, 15:30
To those in the know-
Is there an attendee fee? If so, how much?

Seriously, I may be attending as a LEGIT businessMAN. :D

The Reaper
12-07-2004, 17:56
To those in the know-
Is there an attendee fee? If so, how much?

Seriously, I may be attending as a LEGIT businessMAN. :D

It is about $20 advance, $100 at the door.

Might be a discount if you wear your Bubba teeth!

TR

Smokin Joe
12-07-2004, 20:42
You do not have to be an FFL holder, but you have to be in the shooting, hunting, or outdoor industry. Blasting will probably not count. LEO creds may.

Walk-up creds are available, and are ungodly expensive.

Besides, it takes three days of steady walking to cover everything, and the extra day to close loops, pick up gear, etc.

Go to the site, check out the requirements, and either register, or find a local gun store who has people going to see if they will help you with a set of creds.

Good luck!

TR

Muhahahha I got an in, now I got to clear it with HH6. Saca you still need help? I can check with my source to see if he will sponser a Southern Tooth Puller.

Sacamuelas
12-08-2004, 09:10
Thanks for the info TR.

Smokin'-
I have received my clearance from HH6 for flight in Thurs, flight out Monday. Currently working on getting one of my brothers or buddies to go out there with me and share the expenses on the room, rental car, etc. If I end up going alone, I may see if you can check into that for me. I do appreciate the offer though.

If I come with a buddy, I will get creds down here by starting Saca's Outdoor exchange and getting a tax ID for it. :D

I'll put any other questions I have about the SHOT show stuff in Air.177's thread he started.http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4622

hijack over...

The Reaper
12-08-2004, 18:54
Thanks for the info TR.

Smokin'-
I have received my clearance from HH6 for flight in Thurs, flight out Monday. Currently working on getting one of my brothers or buddies to go out there with me and share the expenses on the room, rental car, etc. If I end up going alone, I may see if you can check into that for me. I do appreciate the offer though.

If I come with a buddy, I will get creds down here by starting Saca's Outdoor exchange and getting a tax ID for it. :D

I'll put any other questions I have about the SHOT show stuff in Air.177's thread he started.http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4622

hijack over...

If you get stuck, I have an open bed in the room at this time. Let me know if you want to split it.

Website for the show is here:

LeeAnn Rimes is the performer this year, but tickets will be $90 a head.

TR

Sacamuelas
12-09-2004, 08:54
PM inbound TR. Thanks