PDA

View Full Version : OK...NOW something is srewy!!!

Eagle5US
12-05-2004, 20:17
Look here you chuckles...read through the Windoes Media Player thread...saw the cool guy link for the codec bundle.
Downloaded and installed the silly thing, now I can't get ANY vid links to play :confused:
I can't even pull up my "add remove programs" in my control panel...what gives?
I installed everything except "BS Player"

Help?!?

Thx,
Eagle

NousDefionsDoc
12-05-2004, 20:19
So you installed all that BS without the BS player, is that what you're saying? No wonder it doesn't work. :boohoo

QRQ 30
12-05-2004, 20:21
If you don't already screen all downloads through a good anti-virus program you may consider doing so.

Eagle5US
12-05-2004, 20:34
So you installed all that BS without the BS player, is that what you're saying? No wonder it doesn't work. :boohoo
Oh sure...you REAL FUNNY there NDD...It all YOUR FAULT for starting the silly thread in the first place!!! Besides...the thread instructions say NOT to install the player, JUST the CODECS-Mongo read good cause Mongo don't know puters ;)

I've run my antivirus scan twice, no hits. Just re-installed Media Player 10, and am trying to check things out. MAy just go back and do a system restore.

I HATE doing that
:(

Eagle

Sacamuelas
12-05-2004, 20:37
MAy just go back and do a system restore.
Eagle
That was going to be this knuckledragger's advice. Damn computer geeks were probably just screwing with us the whole time in that thread.... :mad: :D

gits
12-05-2004, 22:31
Theres actually an uninstall for all that stuff. Goto your start menu then programs theres an uninstall icon, I believe it works for only Windows 2k and XP.

Pandora
12-05-2004, 22:45
If you can't even get to the uninstall via the program menu then navigate directly to the install directory - there should be an uninstall.exe located there.

Out of curiosity, are you running Adaware Profressional as one of your scanners? Some nasty errors occurring lately when you install certain programs while Adware is open. You'll know you have hit these errors if you run a file scan for *.lnk and find a ton of them where .exe's used to be.

If you are finding .exe's like control panel programs suddenly changed to .lnk, and you're too stubborn (like me) to restore or reformat then I'll post the fixes.

Eagle5US
12-05-2004, 23:44
Ended up doing a system restore - all is again right with the puter :D

And yes, I am running Adaware 6.0-I'll keep that tidbit in mind for future use

Eagle

Kyobanim
12-06-2004, 08:57
A word of advice to all users of these topics . . .

As you've probably noticed, there are usually several answers to every support related question. A lot of times any of these answers will fix your problem. Sometimes they don't. What everyone seems to forget is no 2 PCs are the same. We might have the same model and operating system but I guarantee you that mine doesn't act the same way yours does. Every time you install something you are changing the operating system configuration. Just because IE works fine for me doesn't mean it will work fine for you. The smallest change can have catostrophic effects on your system.

Best advice is to backup your system on a regular basis while it's working. If you're going to install something new do a system restore for you Win XP users.

I back my system up before I install new software and drivers, change hardware and do updates. It would be good advice for you to do something similar.

Eagle5US
12-06-2004, 11:39

As you've probably noticed, there are usually several answers to every support related question. A lot of times any of these answers will fix your problem. Sometimes they don't. What everyone seems to forget is no 2 PCs are the same. We might have the same model and operating system but I guarantee you that mine doesn't act the same way yours does. Every time you install something you are changing the operating system configuration. Just because IE works fine for me doesn't mean it will work fine for you. The smallest change can have catostrophic effects on your system.

Best advice is to backup your system on a regular basis while it's working. If you're going to install something new do a system restore for you Win XP users.

I back my system up before I install new software and drivers, change hardware and do updates. It would be good advice for you to do something similar.
Spoken like a true Microprocessing GURU!!! Better too than calling most tech support chuckleheads:
Me: I have problem XYZ with my computer
Them: Do not worry Sir, I am a level 9 "enhanced" certified online computer fixer upper
Me: Great-what do I do about my problem
Them: Please press F8 during startup, open in safe mode, and reformat drive C. Your problem will then be solved. Have a great day
Me: :( :boohoo

Silly puter "help" folks :D

Eagle

ghuinness
12-06-2004, 12:01

Agree with that. I would also like to suggest keeping a windows PE disk ready (if you can get one) or build an equivalent from here http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/.
Some addons for the latter are available here: http://www.ubcd4win.com/

my .02

Guy
12-06-2004, 12:54
That Win XP/SP2 Service Pack is killing me!

Trying to download 1ClickDVD in conjunction w/o CODECS is a nightmare. My next OS/Computer may just be a MAC. If WINDOWS XP/MEDIA put out another update...I may just go crazy. :eek:

Pandora
12-06-2004, 19:40
All good advice and well-noted.

Will return to corner quietly and leave the help to the known entitities. :o

Kyobanim
12-06-2004, 20:14
That disk is a champ, ghuinness. Thanks for the link.