PDA

View Full Version : Where were you on Mother's Day 1970?

PSM
05-11-2014, 22:28
I was here 44 years ago today:

THE LUBBOCK TORNADO - MAY 11, 1970

The Lubbock tornado formed over the southwest corner of the city and touched down just south of the downtown area. It tracked toward the northeast near US 87, just east of the Texas Tech campus, and continued for 8 miles before lifting. It destroyed over 1000 homes and apartment units, 10,000 vehicles and over 100 aircraft. It killed 26 persons and injured 500. This tornado was studied and mapped in detail by Professor Fujita, and was an important key in the development of his Fujita Scale. It was rated F5 on this scale.

I was passing through on my way back to Ft. Huachuca after visiting my mother in OK. I heard what was going on on the radio, but could not see anything because of all the rain. There were reports of tornados from all areas of the county.

I stopped for gas at a Phillips 66 station on US82 but there was no one there. The doors were unlocked and the pumps were on, though. I was with a friend who I served with on Okinawa and it was his car. The radiator hose was leaking and we hadn't been able to find a replacement. This station had one. We filled up, took the hose for later and left a $10 bill under a mat in front of the cash register. We knew how much the gas was, but had no idea how much the hose was. I've always hoped that we left enough and that the station and owner came out OK. BTW, the cash register was not locked either, but we left the money outside of it to let them know that we had paid.

Wicked day.

Pat

JJ_BPK
05-12-2014, 07:52
At 1:30PM on the 10th, I was in a frag contest over the border in Cambodia. The NVA were in bunkers,, we were trying to be small in a rice patty. After 6-7 frags, he hit me and two of my people.

At 3AM May 11th, 1970, I was in post-op coming out of anesthesia, at the Tay Ninh 45th Surgical Field Hospital.

This picture of post-op may have been where I woke up. I can remember looking up at the big air conditioning tube on the ceiling. It was loud droning continuous whooshing. Very annoying. BUT my nurse wasn't..

I spent the next 10 days in 93rd Evac Bien Hoa, then on to Camp Zama Japan for 90 days.

I finally had a chance to call home from Zama to let my mom & dad know I was OK. They didn't even know I was in the hospital...

PSM
05-12-2014, 11:05
At 1:30PM on the 10th, I was in a frag contest over the border in Cambodia. The NVA were in bunkers,, we were trying to be small in a rice patty. After 6-7 frags, he hit me and two of my people.

At 3AM May 11th, 1970, I was in post-op coming out of anesthesia, at the Tay Ninh 45th Surgical Field Hospital.

This picture of post-op may have been where I woke up. I can remember looking up at the big air conditioning tube on the ceiling. It was loud droning continuous whooshing. Very annoying. BUT my nurse wasn't..

I spent the next 10 days in 93rd Evac Bien Hoa, then on to Camp Zama Japan for 90 days.

I finally had a chance to call home from Zama to let my mom & dad know I was OK. They did even know I was in the hospital...

Wicked day, Jim. ;) Salute!

Pat

mojaveman
05-12-2014, 11:11
Sitting on the couch in our living room and watching the Vietnam war on black and white television.

Streck-Fu
05-12-2014, 11:23
In utero....

ZonieDiver
05-12-2014, 14:08
Halfway through Infantry AIT at Ft Ord, CA.

"Delta-2-2... uptight, outasight, sock it to us, Sergeant!" :D

Badger52
05-12-2014, 15:58
Forgetting: HS French & American beer as I 'immersed' myself in West Berlin.

Golf1echo
05-12-2014, 18:19
Up on that hill to the right, only 39 years earlier, fewer houses more cows with bells. Respect JJ_ BPK

Edit: Little context; was a boy in a boarding school and attended the public school...One day the Swiss Army Rough Terrain Artillery, rolled into town, stacked arms at the school, pulled mattresses from the gymnasium, and did exercises for a period, that started to make sense of some other infra structure about . The Swiss invest in themselves and have or had a good system of service, it made a big impact on me...I have always thought we could benefit from some of the same ideals...It never hurts to take a little look, especially in Winter

Utah Bob
05-13-2014, 14:13
I was in Cambodia too.
Interesting place.
Can't remember if I sent mom a card.

PRB
05-13-2014, 18:54
Enlisting and leaving Indiana State University because the anti war crowd was driving me bonkers.

PSM
05-13-2014, 22:15
Enlisting and leaving Indiana State University because the anti war crowd was driving me bonkers.

You enlisted on Mother's Day?! :eek: My mom almost killed me for enlisting at all, let alone on Mother's Day. ;) Father's Day, sure. No problem there. :D

ETA: I just remembered that I enlisted on Halloween 1967. :D

Pat

DIYPatriot
05-14-2014, 08:52
You enlisted on Mother's Day?! :eek: My mom almost killed me for enlisting at all, let alone on Mother's Day. ;) Father's Day, sure. No problem there. :D

I wasn't alive and my parents were still in high school in 1970, but on Mother's Day, my mom signed my Family Care Plan and other "in the event of" docs. It was the only time I was going to see her in person for a while and I didn't feel right mailing them to her. We live far apart. She cried as she signed it. I felt like hell for that. On a positive note, the lady that served as our notary refused to accept any money for her services that day. She said, "Thanks for what you're about to do".

Javadrinker
05-14-2014, 10:47
Besides celebrating Mother's Day, it was also the last day the Newton Memorial School in Oshogbo, Nigeria. My last day of 10th grade, and one of the best days of my life. I hated that school.

PSM
05-13-2017, 21:30
Happy Mother's Day, JJ. :lifter Salute!

Pat

JJ_BPK
05-14-2017, 04:44
Happy Mothers Day, Mom

And Happy Mothers Day to all the ladies that put up with us.. God bless their souls..

Premsore
05-14-2017, 05:56
In a mobile home rental with my new wife off of Yadkin Road. Had just started Arabic Language School with about 9 other guys from the 6th Grp. 3 instructors, one from Iraq, one from Jordan, and one from Egypt.

miclo18d
05-14-2017, 06:03
I was about 6 month old, preparing to make my mom earn every mothers day card she ever received.

Saw a card yesterday that read:

Outside: I know, growing up, times were tough and running away seemed like the only option.

Inside: I'm glad you stayed! Happy Mothers Day!

hurly
05-14-2017, 06:23
I was at home with Mom on convalescent leave from wounds received at CCN.

twistedsquid
05-14-2017, 14:47
39 Volturno St.

2018commo
05-14-2017, 15:35
4th grade, a newly returned Soldier from B52 married the girl next door, later my recruiter from the 20th. He was my idol at 10 yrs old.

PSM
05-14-2017, 20:43
...preparing to make my mom earn every mothers day card she ever received.

Happy Mothers Day!

That right there says it all for most of us on the site! :D

Pat

Chucko
05-14-2017, 22:33
Graduated May 22, 1970 from the SF L/H Weapons course. So I was probably cleaning something.

UWOA (RIP)
05-15-2017, 11:43
Less then two weeks from commissioning as a 2LT at 93d Company, 9th Battalion, OCS, Fort Benning. Then TDY to Airborne, SFOC, and DLIWC schools with final assignment to 8th SFGA (got diverted to 10th SFGA for one year because of Army down-sizing while at DLIWC).

Those were the good ole days ....

Oldrotorhead
05-15-2017, 15:07
Ft Walters in Texas in pre-flight waiting for my class to start.

bushmaster11
05-18-2017, 21:51
I was in the MACVSOG - CCN compound trying to train new Montagnard soldiers how to rappel on the tower.

J R sends
DOL