PDA

View Full Version : RuckSack Satcom Pop-up Antenna

Paragrouper
05-08-2014, 08:42
Link (http://www.exelisinc.com/news/Documents/news_articles/DB_MarApr14_webmag.pdf)

Selex ES has expanded its satellite communications (SATCOM) offerings with the launch of a new robust, lightweight, on-the-move, tactical SATCOM system called TacSat Razor Antenna.

The rapid deploy TacSat Razor Antenna weighs 1kg and has a maximum 20W power output in the UHF tacsat band. It is designed specifically for physically demanding battlefield conditions, whilst addressing the relevant radiation hazard standards.

The system can be operated in hands-free mode while attached to the side of a standard military rucksack, enabling soldiers to stay connected while carrying weapons or other kit. Alternatively, it can be mounted on a standard tripod or camera spike or on a vehicle using a magnetic mount.

To reduce soldier down-time, the system has been designed to be easy to operate. The user pulls a strap to launch the antenna from its housing, and the antenna is withdrawn back into the container by pulling the same strap in the other direction after use.

With a modular construction to facilitate cleaning and ease of repair in the field, the TacSat Razor Antenna is environmentally qualified to Mil Std 810-G and is IP68 rated for water immersion.

Anybody worked with this antenna? If so, what do you think?

Bechorg
05-10-2014, 04:35
If it is supposed to be used while on the move I can guarantee you I would break that thing in the first 200m.

MtnGoat
05-10-2014, 06:33
If it is supposed to be used while on the move I can guarantee you I would break that thing in the first 200m.

I second this statement! ! Stupidest design I've seen.

You WANT SATCOM dismounted on the move. Best with PSC5 or PTC-117 and a RAM HEAD antenna or a BAS "Hockey puck" SATCOM anteena. I'm more for the "Hockey puck" because they're great fit dismounted ops and on low visual vehicles. Both of these are in the NEW System too.

Box
05-10-2014, 07:51
Do any of you high speed commmo guy types know where I can find a low-profile sat antenna?

Something that doesnt look like a two foot long hot dog cooker or a big metal egg beater?

I can pass an e-mail contact via PM if needed

glebo
05-10-2014, 17:57
Do any of you high speed commmo guy types know where I can find a low-profile sat antenna?

Something that doesnt look like a two foot long hot dog cooker or a big metal egg beater?

not really, you can make a yagi to freq, but trying to get some gain out of it to go 22k into space...'nuther matter. try it.

There's also a thread in here about a field expedient SATCOM ant that looks like a loop. Depending on the elevation to the bird you may have some luck. But it is mostly designed for high angle radiation, so a lower angle one would mean you would have to put it more vertical, thus, not meeting needs...maybe...

remember...it "theory" LOL

Box
05-10-2014, 21:43
its gonna shoot straight up...
...i do a search for the loop you are talking about

thanks

glebo
05-11-2014, 09:23
Here ya Billy,

I think I have the .ppt show on how to make it. It may be to big to post here, but if you have a gov't email I can hook you up with a Safe File msg through AMRDEC. It's goof for large file sizes, but ya gotta use a gov't addy.

Or, give me a private one, it may go, I can't remember how big the file is...

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18907

Box
05-11-2014, 09:40
glebo,
PM sent...
Thanks

69harley
05-11-2014, 21:12

TSE Recon has a low profile SATCOM antenna, very low profile, like cut a square out of the roof low profile. It's not on their website, you have to call Ed.

Bechorg
05-20-2014, 02:10
If you don't mind peeling a corn cob every time you want to make a shot, I have had good luck with the AV-2125 handheld antenna, works every time, but definetely tags you as a radio guy and takes a good 30 seconds to deploy.

Box
05-20-2014, 03:37
I've got some 100 pound brain folks working on a solution for me. The hole-in-the-roof antenna requires more treasure than I can part with.
Getting close to a solution though!