PDA

View Full Version : Bad Past. Can I still join?

Altruist
05-08-2014, 04:45
Closed.

The Reaper
05-08-2014, 06:43
I think you are going to require several waivers, and this is not a time of many waivers.

You may not even be eligible to join the military, with a GED, a dependent, and history of drug abuse.

IMHO, you will not be offered an SF contract. You will probably have to enlist and soldier your way into a shot at SF.

See a recruiter and take a chance. You do not have to enlist if they do not offer you what you want.

BTW, patterns of misconduct do not generally resolve themselves either.

Best of luck.

TR

Altruist
05-08-2014, 14:45
Thanks for the answer. I heard if I'm paying less than 50% of the money for my child and she's living with her mom that she wouldn't count as my dependent, but I could be wrong. Do you think obtaining a degree will make them more accepting of my GED? Well, after I've gone through university and all, I'm going to do everything I can to get my 18x contract, and see where that takes me. Although serving my country is a huge part of why I want to join the military, I don't feel going into the infantry is for me. If I join the military, I want to try my hardest to be the best I can be, not in a cocky way, but in a mental, physical and psychological way.

I don't know if I'm allowed to ask more questions in my thread. If I can't, I'm sorry.

WarriorDiplomat
05-08-2014, 15:05
Thanks for the answer. I heard if I'm paying less than 50% of the money for my child and she's living with her mom that she wouldn't count as my dependent, but I could be wrong. Do you think obtaining a degree will make them more accepting of my GED? Well, after I've gone through university and all, I'm going to do everything I can to get my 18x contract, and see where that takes me. Although serving my country is a huge part of why I want to join the military, I don't feel going into the infantry is for me. If I join the military, I want to try my hardest to be the best I can be, not in a cocky way, but in a mental, physical and psychological way.

I don't know if I'm allowed to ask more questions in my thread. If I can't, I'm sorry.

A college degree usually cancels out a GED

mojaveman
05-08-2014, 16:02
Altruist,

In your course of study take a few French classes and when your finished contact the Foreign Legion. They could care less about your background. If you decide that you like Europe you can even stay there legally after your enlistment.

Altruist
05-09-2014, 13:23
Altruist,

In your course of study take a few French classes and when your finished contact the Foreign Legion. They could care less about your background. If you decide that you like Europe you can even stay there legally after your enlistment.

Thanks for the advice, but I want to be able to see my daughter as much as possible and she's in the USA, so I don't think that will be plausible. However, I do plan on learning French, although Arabic and Russian are on the top of my priority list for languages I want to learn. Also, I'm set on Special Forces. I obviously can't know exactly what they do, but I know they're doing it for our country while staying in top shape to leave when the time comes. I would be really honored to stand next to them.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughtful advice. I've decided the only way I'll find out if I can do it, is by doing it. So, I'll do exactly that. Have a cheerful day everyone.

WarriorDiplomat
05-09-2014, 16:26
Thanks for the advice, but I want to be able to see my daughter as much as possible and she's in the USA, so I don't think that will be plausible. However, I do plan on learning French, although Arabic and Russian are on the top my priority list for languages I want to learn. Also, I'm set on Special Forces. I obviously can't know exactly what they do, but I know they're doing for or country while staying in top shape to leave when the time comes. I would be really honored to stand next to them.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughtful advice. I've decided the only way I'll find out if I can do it, is by doing it. So, I'll do exactly that. Have a cheerful day everyone.

Forget the Legionairres if you want to see your child or want to be married. Just go to college quit smoking pot and if it were me and I wanted to join bad enough unless it is recorded somewhere in legal documents I would say nothing about it.

The Reaper
05-09-2014, 16:42
Forget the Legionairres if you want to see your child or want to be married. Just go to college quit smoking pot and if it were me and I wanted to join bad enough unless it is recorded somewhere in legal documents I would say nothing about it.

We have been through this many times before.

Lying to your recruiter is rarely a good idea and can come back to haunt you.

Tell the truth, do your best, and let the consequences follow.

BTW, if you don't like the Infantry, I am not sure you are going to like SF either.

TR

WarriorDiplomat
05-09-2014, 16:57

BTW, if you don't like the Infantry, I am not sure you are going to like SF either.

TR

Ooops should never have written that.

Altruist
05-09-2014, 22:04

TR

Well, I have plans for my military career after Special Forces, so it's just one task in my big plan. Also, I like the versatility of the Special Forces as well. Why do you think I won't like the Special Forces because I don't like infantry? Are they similar?

Side Note: I will be telling the truth.

Last hard class
05-10-2014, 00:55
Well, I have plans for my military career after Special Forces, so it's just one task in my big plan.

Do Tell.

SF is but a speed bump for a man with a plan.

LHC

The Reaper
05-10-2014, 10:54
Well, I have plans for my military career after Special Forces, so it's just one task in my big plan. Also, I like the versatility of the Special Forces as well. Why do you think I won't like the Special Forces because I don't like infantry? Are they similar?

Side Note: I will be telling the truth.

It seems to me that you really don't know very much about an organization that you profess to want to be a part of that could put you in a life or death situation. This isn't Call of Duty.

You do realize that we have missions other than DA, and we are likely to be doing more FID as we shrink ops in AFG, right? Much of what we teach to foreign troops is infantry tactics.

If you were to be fortunate enough to make it to SF Assessment and Selection, your desire to use SF as stepping stone is not going to be adequate to sustain you psychologically through the process. Than you are going to find out what being an infantry soldier is all about. It sounds like you want a Beret and Tab, but are not truly dedicated to the cause. Our process is designed to weed people like you out early on.

Finally, until you see a recruiter and formally ask for the waivers, this entire discussion is moot.

TR

blue02hd
05-10-2014, 11:00
I disagree. He has upper middle management written all over him,,,,,

Altruist
05-10-2014, 13:30
It seems to me that you really don't know very much about an organization that you profess to want to be a part of that could put you in a life or death situation. This isn't Call of Duty.

You do realize that we have missions other than DA, and we are likely to be doing more FID as we shrink ops in AFG, right? Much of what we teach to foreign troops is infantry tactics.

If you were to be fortunate enough to make it to SF Assessment and Selection, your desire to use SF as stepping stone is not going to be adequate to sustain you psychologically through the process. Than you are going to find out what being an infantry soldier is all about. It sounds like you want a Beret and Tab, but are not truly dedicated to the cause. Our process is designed to weed people like you out early on.

Finally, until you see a recruiter and formally ask for the waivers, this entire discussion is moot.

TR

People like me? Yes, I want to wear a beret, but not for the reasons you'd except. When I have the privilege of putting on the Green Beret, it will be an accomplishment that I'll not only be proud of, but it will also be a relief because I'll know I've made it after all the hard months of training and I'll be on my way to helping others. If joining the Special Forces means teaching others how to fight for their freedom and safety, then I'll gladly do just that. If teaching one person can save their life, then I've saved someone's life and that gives me more joy than any other regular job would. I realize that this isn't Call of Duty and I could possibly die, but I have no problem giving my life to save another's. Just because I'm 16 doesn't mean I'm some kid that wants to join the SF for the action and glory. Honestly, I don't mind the people who tell me I can't do something. I have nothing to prove to anyone except myself, but I know if I get the chance to go to SFAS I WILL make it.

Again, thank you for your consideration and serving my country.

Joker
05-10-2014, 14:14
P... I'm 16...

You don't really know what you (will) want to do. Come back in five years to discuss this as you can't even get into the door to try out until then. In the mean time study hard and get good grades, don't do illegal dope, and stay clear of the law man by not breaking the law.
Good luck.

Altruist
05-10-2014, 14:24
You don't really know what you (will) want to do. Come back in five years to discuss this as you can't even get into the door to try out until then. In the mean time study hard and get good grades, don't do illegal dope, and stay clear of the law man by not breaking the law.
Good luck.

I know I want to help others, but I understand what you mean. I have a few more years to plan ahead, so you might be right.

MR2
05-10-2014, 14:43
I know I want to help others, but i understand what you mean. I have a few more years to plan ahead, so you might be right.

Ok, time for you to concentrate more on reading and less on posting.

twistedsquid
05-10-2014, 15:32
Altruist. My prediction is that you will be wearing a uniform with your last name on it. Whether it's a military uniform or not is up to you.

WarriorDiplomat
05-11-2014, 09:33
I know I want to help others, but I understand what you mean. I have a few more years to plan ahead, so you might be right.

Altruist, in our world understand we are soldiers first and do what we are told to do on behalf of U.S. policy even if we personally don't agree.

At the age of 16 you have alot of maturing to go through til adulthood which means you feel like this today but in a few years who knows what you may want to do. Take life one day at a time and do your best today and every day forward.

The infantry is a great and noble career choice, the branch is full of warriors due to the fact that the the job of infantryman exists for one purpose. A good infantryman makes a great Green Beret since they have had the tactical mindset beat into their heads 24/7

Do you really understand what Altruism is?

The Reaper
05-11-2014, 10:23

What is Rule 10 of this Bulletin Board?

There is a reason for it.

TR

Altruist
05-11-2014, 13:25
I didn't know that rule.

Altruist
11-18-2016, 03:44
Altruist, in our world understand we are soldiers first and do what we are told to do on behalf of U.S. policy even if we personally don't agree.

At the age of 16 you have alot of maturing to go through til adulthood which means you feel like this today but in a few years who knows what you may want to do. Take life one day at a time and do your best today and every day forward.

The infantry is a great and noble career choice, the branch is full of warriors due to the fact that the the job of infantryman exists for one purpose. A good infantryman makes a great Green Beret since they have had the tactical mindset beat into their heads 24/7

Do you really understand what Altruism is?

Altruism to me is to help someone without expecting anything in return. The story of Superman is a good example of this, even though he's a fictional character, I always found it noble how he would save people's lives while putting himself in danger.

Update: I got 18 semester credits, so I'm a "tier-1" applicant. My enlistment papers are finished, but I took the ASVAB two years ago, so I have to retake it. My scores were fine though. I'm slacking physically, I can reach the minimums to get in, but I feel like I won't be able to keep up my strength while in basic training, so I want to exceed the minimum scores by a fair margin. I'm sure I will be ready by the time I'm out of the delayed entry program - this is so I can reach the minimum age requirement for my 18x contract - and ship out.

As for everything in my original post, my recruiter says I'm fine. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice a couple years ago, I wish you all the best.

WarriorDiplomat
11-20-2016, 11:54
Altruism to me is to help someone without expecting anything in return. The story of Superman is a good example of this, even though he's a fictional character, I always found it noble how he would save people's lives while putting himself in danger.

Update: I got 18 semester credits, so I'm a "tier-1" applicant. My enlistment papers are finished, but I took the ASVAB two years ago, so I have to retake it. My scores were fine though. I'm slacking physically, I can reach the minimums to get in, but I feel like I won't be able to keep up my strength while in basic training, so I want to exceed the minimum scores by a fair margin. I'm sure I will be ready by the time I'm out of the delayed entry program - this is so I can reach the minimum age requirement for my 18x contract - and ship out.

As for everything in my original post, my recruiter says I'm fine. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice a couple years ago, I wish you all the best.

Good luck to you and take your time if you want to be a Green Beret, you cannot hurry maturity and that is what we need.

Astronomy
11-20-2016, 13:55
I'm slacking physically, I can reach the minimums to get in, but I feel like I won't be able to keep up my strength while in basic training, so I want to exceed the minimum scores by a fair margin. I'm sure I will be ready by the time I'm out of the delayed entry program - this is so I can reach the minimum age requirement for my 18x contract - and ship out.

Good luck with your 18X future. Seems like you've been persistent and overcome some administrative obstacles. That's a good thing.

Now get seriously persistent with PT. Minimums for joining the Army (and making it through Basic Training) won't suffice for the 18X Selection & Assessment program. Your minimum goal is to max all PT test events for the youngest age group... on your worst day. And become a long distance running/rucking machine. Not kidding about this. If you view yourself as "slacking physically", you'd best grab that bull by the horns right now... and get in hard shape. Before you get to Basic.

No physical tests encountered in Basic Training should seriously challenge you. If they do, you're unlikely to make the cut for SF. Army Basic Training is relatively easy. The SF accessions process is not.

miclo18d
11-21-2016, 02:17
My first time seeing this old thread.

I am glad that this kid has stuck to his guns and has done what is required to enlist. He goes in (in my eyes) with a clean slate.

To Altruist. You need to constantly self evaluate. You started off life (as a teen) going in the wrong direction. I assume you saw that was happening and decided to change. The problem for you will be temptation. In the military in general your peers are going to want to party or do this or that. One slip up can destroy everything you worked for. If you make it to SF, it will be even HARDER! All of the tempatations are there AND you know you can get away with it because you work generally unsupervised. This can destroy your career and your life.

Don't think that because you went SF and made it, that you came from Krypton (your refrence, not mine). All of us here can probably count out 10 incidences of SF guys being arrested in foreign countries, destroying their marriages, doing drugs (especially us holier-than-thou 18Ds), all the way up to murder and pedaphilia. I hope you have conquered your demons and that your head is on straight now, because the devil WILL tempt you (and she generally has dark hair and brown skin).

Make sure your foundation is on solid ground going in! Know and live by a set of morals and ethics, because when you encounter the devil, you had better know what you're already going to say.

Buenas suertes

1stindoor
11-21-2016, 08:57
Wanted to add my own .02 cents. Congrats on turning yourself around and recognizing your own shortcomings. Being able to recognize those areas you need to work on...and working on them, is a good trait. Wish you success as you move forward.