PDA

View Full Version : Learning code: Morse vs. Tap

PSM
05-05-2014, 22:11
After many frustrating years trying to learn Morse, it dawned on me that tap code is easier and, while slower, probably more effective in an emergency situation.

Like learning a foreign language I can speak it (send), but have a hard time understanding the answer (receiving). In Spanish, I can ask where the bathroom is, but if it's two doors south of cousin Pedro's grandma's house near the pig stables, I'll be dancing in the calle in short order.

Then I realized that TC is more quickly learned and can still be sent by on-off methods, CW, heliograph, etc. Add to that the fact that texting has led to, "OMG, YGTBSM, U R my BFF!" style of communicating. When the SHTF, perhaps knowing TC is the way to go.

73s. ;)

Pat

PSM
05-10-2014, 12:51
I just discovered that Tap Code is, essentially, semaphore where the right flag denotes the row and the left indicates the column. Except for "J". Combining the C and K, as in the tap code, would allow J to follow in the natural progression and make learning easier for community emergency use.

Pat

Peregrino
05-10-2014, 15:32
You probably need to do more research WRT learning MC. There are a lot more hams fluent in MC than there are former POWs/SERE graduates who know TC and you can get much greater information density out of a given MC transmission. Ham radio has developed some very effective techniques for learning code based on things we've discovered about how people learn new things. FWIW.

PSM
05-10-2014, 16:20
You probably need to do more research WRT learning MC. There are a lot more hams fluent in MC than there are former POWs/SERE graduates who know TC and you can get much greater information density out of a given MC transmission. Ham radio has developed some very effective techniques for learning code based on things we've discovered about how people learn new things. FWIW.

I agree, P. I'm talking about in a SHTF situation. I may know it and be able to talk to other HAMs, but not with my brother-in-law to coordinate a meet. I'm thinking of how to allow regular folks to use a homemade CW rig to communicate more easily. Also, TCs 2 digit sets would make drawing up OTPs easier, if needed. ;)

Plus, it should work with any ON/OFF comm technique: Heliostat, arms, flashlight, smoke, etc.

Ya gotta be prepared. ;)

ETA: The BSA, a couple of times a year, climb large hills and mountains to use heliostats to send messages from here to wherever. I heard that they have made it to WA state by relay. I don't remember the name of the get-together, but it got me thinking about methods of communicating over long distances, if the normal means are not available. The EMP discussions spurred me forward in my thinking. Perhaps this should have been in the Be Prepared thread, though.

Another ETA: I found it: Operation On Target http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_On-Target

Pat

PSM
05-10-2014, 20:51
Bump for the ETA.

Pat