PDA

View Full Version : Ms Okies new pistol

Brush Okie
05-01-2014, 23:55
Ms Okie has decided to get a Sig P226 in 9mm. The following is how we came to this decision as a guide to how folks can help pick out what is best for you or your loved one.

First what is the pistol going to be used for. Her as fun at the range but also to carry in her vehicle on long trips. She is not interested in carrying on her person as of yet, but it may change. She will also carry it into the woods for self defense there of two legged animals or a mountain lion. BTW Cougars are not that hard to kill, a 9mm is plenty and I actually killed one with a head shot from a 22 pistol once.

Why Sig P226. First we considered quality firearms only. Second we found what fit HER the best. We spent many days trying different firearms. BTW gentlemen ladies are pickier than men usually when it comes to fit and feel. Be patient, take your time and let HER decide. You can guide her but only she knows what fits her and everyone is different on what fits them. The two best fits were the CZ and the P226. Due to the small slide on the CZ and her having difficulty grasping it, we went with the P226. She preferred the P226 over the P220, there is some difference in the grips etc. so 226 it is.

Caliber. First off I am NOT a 9mm fan and prefer 45 for self defense, so why a 9mm you ask. Well it works first off. Get good ammo preferably +P for self defense. Second is cost of ammo. While the P226 also comes in 40 and 357sig the ammo is a lot more expensive and harder to find. 9mm ammo is least expensive and so more trigger time for the dollar and IMHO training and trigger time is more important than caliber. As they say a hit with a 9mm is better than a miss with a 45. Add to the fact the 9mm has less recoil than the others and so follow up shots are quicker as well as less tiring during training. While I am no great expert I will make sure she is trained to keep shooting until the target is down .

Added bonus, down the road Sig carries caliber conversion kits for $350 or so and we can convert her 226 into 40cal or 357 Sig.

Anyway the Sig 226 or 9mm may not be the right gun for you, but hopefully this will help guide someone that is wondering what pistol to buy narrow it down and find what is right for them or a loved one. Remember everyone is different and so many variables but there are lots of good choices out there.

JJ_BPK
05-02-2014, 04:44
Added bonus, down the road Sig carries caliber conversion kits for $350 or so and we can convert her 226 into 40cal or 357 Sig.

22lr... :D

link: ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIG-SAUER-P226-FACTORY-ORIGINAL-THREADED-BARREL-22LR-RIMFIRE-CONVERSION-KIT-/151280130480?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2338ff99b0)

A thought: If you purchase the 22lr, 1st off, the 9mm kit is a bit less expensive.. Try pricing a 226 22lr + 9mm kit, vs 226 9mm + 22lr kit.

Only other thought: weight, If she doesn't carry, that's a chunk of money to let sit in the car.. Just saying.. :munchin

MtnGoat
05-02-2014, 07:03
For me, the decision for choosing a pistol for my HH6 would be solely based on her experience. secondly try to get some range time with the pistol. both got the stores with indoor ranges have multiple gods for you too shoot. This gives her the opportunity to get the feel of the pistol in her hand. For me that's a critical thing in my opinion with women is the small and large semi automatic pistols.

The Reaper
05-02-2014, 07:44
If she hasn't fired one yet, the SA/DA transition can adversely affect accuracy and for some, require grip readjustment.

The P228 and P229 are smaller and more compact.

Just my personal observations.

TR

Brush Okie
05-02-2014, 09:27
If 22 ammo were more available I would defiantly get the conversion, and probably will in the future.

As for fit and double/single action she has shot my P220, 1911, her .22, my .22 etc. She likes the feel of the 226. She is tall ie 5'10" and likes the feel of a heavier pistol in her hand. There is no range locally that rents the sig just glocks and she does not like the feel of them. The transition from double to single does not seem to bother her.

I will look into getting the 22 lr and then getting the 9mm kit as a cost savings. Thanks.

As for sitting in the car only, she does enjoy shooting so it will be for more than just sitting there.

JJ_BPK
05-02-2014, 09:48
I will look into getting the 22 lr and then getting the 9mm kit as a cost savings. Thanks.

There is a 226 & 229 purpose built with the 22lr kit AND there in the mosquito.. The mosquito is not convertible..

Not so good: http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductList/pistols-mosquito.aspx

GOOD:

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p229-classic-22.aspx

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p226-classic-22-beavertail.aspx

TrapperFrank
05-02-2014, 10:16
For what it is worth, I went through the same thing with my wife. We found that a Ruger LCP in .380 worked best for her. For home defense a Mossberg 20 gauge was again what worked for her. She is happy and I am happy.

Streck-Fu
05-02-2014, 10:35
Since you are prior military and list LE as your occupation, you qualify for discount pricing from Sig. Be sure to check out the discount pricing....LINK (http://www.sigsauer.com/LawEnforcement/Le-Mil-Individual-Officer-Program.aspx)

Also, if price is an issue, definitely check out the SIGPRO SP2022 (LINK (http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductList/pistols-sp2022.aspx)). I have had Sig 228/229 and shot quite bit with the 226, etc and the 2022 is just as accurate and reliable. The polymer frame comes with different size grips to fit different shooters. With the discount pricing, you can get into a 9mm with night sights for $425.....

SP2022 review...LINK (http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/10/foghorn/gun-review-sig-sauer-sp2022/)

PSM
05-02-2014, 11:02
Since you are prior military and list LE as your occupation, you qualify for discount pricing from Sig. Be sure to check out the discount pricing....LINK (https://www.google.com/maps/place/MaMa%27s+House+Korean+Restaurant/@39.8424052,-86.0137691,1017m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x886b4c082c7ae541:0x99202 7cd48e26aa?hl=en)

At MaMa's House Korean Restaurant? :D Excellent! ;)

Pat

Streck-Fu
05-02-2014, 11:06
At MaMa's House Korean Restaurant? :D Excellent! ;)

Pat

I thought some of you may want to meet up for lunch.... :D Link fixed....

Flagg
05-02-2014, 16:05
If 22 ammo were more available I would defiantly get the conversion, and probably will in the future.

As for fit and double/single action she has shot my P220, 1911, her .22, my .22 etc. She likes the feel of the 226. She is tall ie 5'10" and likes the feel of a heavier pistol in her hand. There is no range locally that rents the sig just glocks and she does not like the feel of them. The transition from double to single does not seem to bother her.

As for sitting in the car only, she does enjoy shooting so it will be for more than just sitting there.

I was going to suggest 22LR conversion kit.

I didn't realize 22LR costs were rising high enough to put folks off the conversion kits as a means of affordable currency training.

I own a Sig 22LR Mosquito to go with my P226s. I DON'T recommend it. Great idea, but poorly executed in my opinion. The only reason why I keep it is for a basic trainer for the wifey/kids/friends.

Unfortunately, down here conversion kits can be a pain in the butt, cost/paperwork wise.

-----

Have you(or anyone else) ever come across those German Police surplus SIG P225/P6 pistols that were on the market dirt cheap a few years ago?

They seemed like a bloody bargain.

But again....can't get them down here....barrel to short.

Brush Okie
05-02-2014, 16:45
I was going to suggest 22LR conversion kit.

I didn't realize 22LR costs were rising high enough to put folks off the conversion kits as a means of affordable currency training.

I own a Sig 22LR Mosquito to go with my P226s. I DON'T recommend it. Great idea, but poorly executed in my opinion. The only reason why I keep it is for a basic trainer for the wifey/kids/friends.

Unfortunately, down here conversion kits can be a pain in the butt, cost/paperwork wise.

-----

Have you(or anyone else) ever come across those German Police surplus SIG P225/P6 pistols that were on the market dirt cheap a few years ago?

They seemed like a bloody bargain.

But again....can't get them down here....barrel to short.

Actually the cost of .22 ammo is not the problem. The problem is getting the ammo, none in stock here in town or the next one. If I drive 70 miles one way then they might have some. ammo companies are holding back and screwing us for some reason here but yea a 22 conversion is a great tool and I will get one for my p220 or 1911 some day.

tom kelly
05-02-2014, 18:41
Actually the cost of .22 ammo is not the problem. The problem is getting the ammo, none in stock here in town or the next one. If I drive 70 miles one way then they might have some. ammo companies are holding back and screwing us for some reason here but yea a 22 conversion is a great tool and I will get one for my p220 or 1911 some day.

Have you tried getting .22 cal. ammo on line???? Some of the suppliers I use are The Armory in Virginia Beach , Shipping might be expensive, Also Natchez Shooters, Http://natchezss shooters....I think there in Texas. and there is Cheaper than Dirt also in Texas.....Tom Kelly

Brush Okie
05-02-2014, 19:10
Have you tried getting .22 cal. ammo on line???? Some of the suppliers I use are The Armory in Virginia Beach , Shipping might be expensive, Also Natchez Shooters, Http://natchezss shooters....I think there in Texas. and there is Cheaper than Dirt also in Texas.....Tom Kelly

I have not. Thanks for the tip.

Quietus
05-03-2014, 12:56
Brush Okie: Nice insight on how to get the wife with the right gun for HER.

My wife's pistol is a '74 vintage Browning Hi-Power. Back more than twenty years ago, we tried Smith K-frames and J-frames, and she has tried the M1911. I even built one in .38 Super for her. But the BHP has been her pick over the years.

A couple days ago, she shot a porcupine, she'd been sort of hunting it for several weeks due to a porkie's gnawing on some recent aspen tree transplants. She's also used it to shoot a rabid skunk in on our place.

She's not quite there for condition one carry, likely won't ever be until events overtake this bias. She carries the pistol in condition three with the hammer back (to ease slide racking for aged hands) in a USGI tanker holster when on her walks about the countryside here.

She has shot a Glock G17 some and liked it. She'd probably be better off with it, in its condition one, than her current comfort level of BHP and condition three. With the Glock, there'd be no worries about cocked hammers and engaged thumb safeties.

But you probably know how it goes: you don't want to push the wife too hard out of her comfort zone.

Ambush Master
05-03-2014, 13:51
My Wife can't shoot a Revolver at all, but can really handle a BHP!!! I have several, one of which is a "War Trophy" from RVN (Long Story).

I personally love Glocks and even Kel Tecs. I have had no problem with getting the KTs to perform reliably.

Later
Martin

tonyz
05-03-2014, 14:31
Brush,

My wife went through a similar process and similar desire to carry in vehicle and use at home for the time being, i.e., not carry on person, yet.

We joined a range, got her some trigger time and she chose a Glock 19. I thought the 26 would work but she liked the 19. She's pretty damn good with it for a newbie.

Good luck and best wishes with her shooting and decision.

Javadrinker
05-04-2014, 11:51
My wife has and shoots the Glock 19, but the other day she looked at and tried the new Sig P320 striker fired, guess what came home with her. ;)

Brush Okie
05-04-2014, 11:54
Brush,

My wife went through a similar process and similar desire to carry in vehicle and use at home for the time being, i.e., not carry on person, yet.

We joined a range, got her some trigger time and she chose a Glock 19. I thought the 26 would work but she liked the 19. She's pretty damn good with it for a newbie.

Good luck and best wishes with her shooting and decision.

I taught several people how to shoot and am an NRA pistol instructor. It seems the women pick up shooting faster and tend to be better at it than men generally.