PDA

View Full Version : Zoloft & Prozac Linked to Child Suicides & Mass Shootings

Pete
04-30-2014, 06:01
Zoloft & Prozac Linked to Child Suicides & Mass Shootings

http://nsnbc.me/2014/04/29/zoloft-prozac-linked-child-suicides-mass-shootings/

Something most of us were pretty sure of .....

"...In their press release, the ISEPP pointed out that:

James Holmes the Colorado batman shooter, had taken 100 milligrams of Vicodin immediately before he shot up the movie theater

Christopher Pittman was on antidepressants when he killed his grandparents

Eric Harris , one of the gunmen in the Columbine school shooting, was taking Luvox and Dylan Klebold, his partner, had taken Zoloft and Paxil

Doug Williams , who killed five and wounded nine of his fellow Lockheed Martin employees, was on Zoloft and Celexa

Michael McDermott was on three antidepressants when he fired off 37 rounds and killed seven of his fellow employees in the Massachusetts Wakefield massacre

Kip Kinkel was on Prozac when he killed his parents and then killed 2 children and wounded 25 at a nearby school

In fourteen recent school shoots, the acts were committed by persons taking or withdrawing from psychiatric drugs, resulting in over 100 wounded and 58 killed

In other school shootings, information about the shooter’s prescription drug use and other medical history were kept from public records........."

Streck-Fu
04-30-2014, 06:20
But can we isolate the cause to the medication? What if the cause it that they are batshit crazy and those are the common meds to treat psychological disorders.

The important part of the link is the part about dosage rather than the meds themselves:

The “health care utilization data” was collected on “162,625 US residents with depression ages 10 to 64 years who initiated antidepressant therapy with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors at modal or at higher than modal doses from January 1, 1998, through December 31, 2010.” It was deduced by the findings that

“the rate of deliberate self-harm among children and adults 24 years of age or younger who initiated high-dose therapy was approximately twice as high as among matched patients initiating modal-dose therapy.”

Pete
04-30-2014, 06:29
You are right - the article mentions high doses.

But many of us have suspected for years that meds might be at the bottom of all these shootings.

Notice in a number of cases drug use was not made part of public records.

Streck-Fu
04-30-2014, 06:34
You are right - the article mentions high doses.

But many of us have suspected for years that meds might be at the bottom of all these shootings.

I have no idea what is correct but the discussion is almost like a dangerous chicken and egg debate, which came first?

Trapper John
04-30-2014, 06:49

Reporting that wouldn't fit the anti-gun narrative now would it? :rolleyes:

akv
04-30-2014, 07:59
Pete,

TY, this makes a lot of sense. It seems every other ad on TV is for some drug, it makes you think is the rise in domestic active shooters collateral damage?

Ghost_Team
04-30-2014, 08:04
I've recently quit smoking (for the third and last time), and I know that one of the concerns the docs had were the possible psyche side effects of Chantix. I've heard the same thing in the past when I was taking Wellbutrin to quit.

Kasik
04-30-2014, 10:07
Often overlooked in such discussion is this -

Was the Pt taking his/her medications as prescribed?

Was the Pt seeing his/her PHY on a regular basis to include medication review?

When the shootings occurred, in this instance, was the shooter found to have trace of prescribed medications in his/her system and to what levels?

Also, were illegal / legal additional drugs in the system (i.e. ETOH / SPICE) creating a medication cocktail reaction in addition to the primary diagnosis challenges?

The Media always goes for the shock effect as we know.

It would be far more helpful / useful to have qualified answers to questions like the above.

Team Sergeant
04-30-2014, 10:47
Should be an interesting decade as 1 out of every 13 kids in this country are on some sort of psychiatric medication.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/04/25/1-in-13-children-taking-psychiatric-medication-in-us/

These are the same psychiatrists that place 100% of those that never saw battle or a wounded soldier on PTSD pay........

I know let's place these psychiatric medications in vending machines for everyone!

Sorry, I don't believe that many kids need to grow up drugged. Nor do I believe that those that have not see battle or our wounded require 100% PTSD pay.