PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Player

NousDefionsDoc
12-04-2004, 11:23
Freakin' Bill Gates! I'm trying to watch some videos from a fight sight on WMP.

All I get is an error message of C00D11CD.

Any ideas?

www.personalprotectionsystems.ca

Kyobanim
12-04-2004, 11:52
Go here http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/default.asp and download the latest player for your OS. It's most likely just a codec issue. This will get you up to date.

gits
12-04-2004, 12:25
I got the latest WMP 10 and sometimes it wont play certain videos (back when I didnt have K-lite codec pack), Id suggest maybe trying to use DIVX player if it doesnt work for you.

NousDefionsDoc
12-04-2004, 12:39
DIVX

Kyo, I downloaded 9 again and same thing. 10 only works on XP. I have 2k

gits
12-04-2004, 12:58
Try downloading the K-lite codec pack, thats what I've been usin when Windows media gets all messed up. It has all the codecs for most videos and should work.
http://files.filefront.com/klite_codec_pack/;2234821;;/fileinfo.html thats what my friends and me are usin to play videos nowadays. Don't install the crappy player they got in the kodec pack, Just install the codecs and your windows media should read almost all videos.

NousDefionsDoc
12-04-2004, 13:30
Downloaded and no change.

gits
12-04-2004, 14:31
Thats wierd, what was the format of the file you were trying to play? It just might be the video files it self. Unless any of us can play it.

Kyobanim
12-04-2004, 14:33
I wonder if it's related to the AV update problem you have. I agree with the codec updates but there's another root problem here. I take it that these are the only files you've had problems with lately?

Just for grins and giggles, try this link www.curtharmon.com/apps/knife.wmv

NousDefionsDoc
12-04-2004, 17:36
Same thing on yours. I haven't had this problem before this.

ghuinness
12-04-2004, 17:47
Couple suggestions: try Real Player instead.
Just watched YouthKnife and Sucker Punch from that link above.

Any time I can bypass Bill Gates, I do.

I would also suggest switching from Internet Explorer to Mozilla Firefox.

The Reaper
12-04-2004, 17:51
Just for grins and giggles, try this link www.curtharmon.com/apps/knife.wmv

I got an error message on that one as well, and I am running XP with the SP2 upgrade.

TR

Kyobanim
12-04-2004, 17:55
Hmmm. I don't have any problems with them at either place. Let me try an experiment. BRB

ghuinness
12-04-2004, 18:08
Which one can't you see?

I might as well learn something from watching these gang fights.....

Dan
12-04-2004, 18:10
A few comments:

The error your getting is an unknown error message as the computer is not sure what is the problem.

All of their videos are WMV files except one AVI file. The DIVX problem mentioned earlier is not the issue as they are WMV files.

I'm not a video guru, but I don't believe that WMV's can played in Real Player...similiar to .ra files can't be played in Windows Media player.

I'd still change to Firefox, but that is not likely your issue with Internet Explorer. If it is an IE related issue it's the media bar that the newer IE versions try to use. Try this if you think it's the media bar in IE giving you the problem...

-Right click on the movie you want to watch and "Save target as"
-Select someplace on your computer to doanload to
-Close all Internet Explorer windows you have open
-Locate the file on your computer
-Try to Play the file

Are you having any other issues with your computer that may give us a hint?

ghuinness
12-04-2004, 18:22
Fine, don't listen to me.

ahhem.....I am watching them now....just finished Head Butts.
Picked it for the name.
Feel like I am at work.

Where is a wall so I can smack my head a few times.

Team Sergeant
12-04-2004, 18:25
Hmmm. I don't have any problems with them at either place. Let me try an experiment. BRB

Played fine with my WM.

I also have Win XP and SP2.

Kyobanim
12-04-2004, 19:26
Try this one www.curtharmon.com/apps/knife2.wmv

It's bigger than the original so be patient

Smokin Joe
12-04-2004, 19:49
Kyo,

I was having the same problems NDD and TR were having and that last link worked for me.

p.s. Dan your technique worked too.

The Reaper
12-04-2004, 19:50
Kyo,

I was having the same problems NDD and TR were having and that last link worked for me.

Same here.

TR

NousDefionsDoc
12-04-2004, 20:11
Try this one www.curtharmon.com/apps/knife2.wmv

It's bigger than the original so be patient

This one works

Kyobanim
12-04-2004, 20:25
This is something I've run into in the past but not too much lately. I downloaded the file, imported into Adobe After Effects and saved it with no compression, maximum detail. My guess is that they made the movies with an off the wall shareware app or something like that. I've had the problem in the past when I used shareware apps to do movies.

Achilles
12-04-2004, 20:30
Works fine for me. Have yall upgraded to windows media player 10?

NousDefionsDoc
12-04-2004, 20:35
Ah to hell with it. BTW, that second vid you showed of "knife". The black guy has obviously been around the block a time or two. He is also very lucky the bobbie showed when he did.

Good training film.

NousDefionsDoc
12-04-2004, 20:39
Ha! HA! I just made real player the default and now I can see them all! Bite me Gates!

ghuinness
12-04-2004, 20:52
Ha! HA! I just made real player the default and now I can see them all! Bite me Gates!

WOW !!
There's hope for you yet :D :D
Next I'll have you upgrading to LINUX !!

Really though, you do need to dump IE and load Mozilla Firefox.

Quote from Business Week article "Recently network security experts saw
one of their worst fears realized. Attackers exploited a pair of known but
unpatched flaws in Microsoft's Web server software and Internet Explorer browser to compromise seemingly safe Web sites. People who browsed there
on Windows computers got infected with malicious code without downloading
anything."

Mozilla Firefox, which can be installed or download from here:
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Reasons not to use IE:
http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/713878
http://www.flexbeta.net/main/articles.php?action=show&id=32

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19737

NousDefionsDoc
12-04-2004, 20:53
Well it sort of works. If I download them to my hard drive. But then it also works in WMP. Damn you Bill Gates! Damn you!

Dan
12-04-2004, 21:05
Well it sort of works. If I download them to my hard drive. But then it also works in WMP. Damn you Bill Gates! Damn you!

Sounds like you, TR, and Joe have same problem from the error I mentioned in an earlier post here...try the below technique if you still want to use IE:

Internet Explorer has its own player for the Media Bar. To get around the c00d11cd error being generated you need to turn the Media Bar off. To disable Internet Explorer's (version 6) Media Bar click the Media button on the main Toolbar, then click "Media Options" in the new pane that opens. Now select "settings", and then uncheck "Play web media in the bar".

The reason I tell you this is because some WMV files you may come across may be prevented from the host for direct downloads and only streamed to you.

P.S. You can still use an alternative browser like Firefox to get around this too

Smokin Joe
12-04-2004, 21:39
Sounds like you, TR, and Joe have same problem from the error I mentioned in an earlier post here...try the below technique if you still want to use IE:

The reason I tell you this is because some WMV files you may come across may be prevented from the host for direct downloads and only streamed to you.

P.S. You can still use an alternative browser like Firefox to get around this too

Alright Firefox here I come. (well when I get home that is)

Roguish Lawyer
12-04-2004, 21:43
Alright Firefox here I come. (well when I get home that is)

Just remember, you must think in Russian. Can you do that?

NousDefionsDoc
12-04-2004, 22:45
I'm running Firefox now as well.

NousDefionsDoc
12-04-2004, 22:54
Problem solved. Firefox and Real Player. Thanks everybody.

Achilles
12-04-2004, 23:25
Nice. I hate realplayer because it tries to advertise too much. Firefox is a DAMN good browser. I'd go with windows media player 10 over realplayer any day (except if you HAVE to be able to watch .ram's).

Also for you Firefox users:

https://update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=301&vid=907

Downloading that allows you to right click a page and get Google's cache of it. Very handy if you need to view material that was pulled offline for any reason.

NousDefionsDoc
12-04-2004, 23:40
Man that "Open in tabs" feature on the bookmarks is great!

vsvo
12-05-2004, 00:05
Downloading that allows you to right click a page and get Google's cache of it. Very handy if you need to view material that was pulled offline for any reason.

Cool feature, thanks for the tip. I was reading a Yahoo News story about the SEALs prisoner pictures. The article said that reporters were able to download the pictures from Google's cache. I believe they eventually password protected the wife's pictures.

NousDefionsDoc
12-05-2004, 00:07
There's another cool thing. If your in the tabs and you highlight a word or name, then right click it, it gives you the option of running a search for that word in Google from there - it opens in another tab so you don't lose your original place.

This is a great browser.

Smokin Joe
12-05-2004, 00:19
Just remember, you must think in Russian. Can you do that?

Right after you strap and 10 billion dollar Rocket to my ass, and I turn into Clint Eastwood. :p