PDA

View Full Version : Common core education

MtnGoat
04-24-2014, 14:45
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2014/03/07/about-that-common-core-math-problem-making-the-rounds-on-facebook/

This common core is getting a lot of attention both on social media and in the news. Other than be a lot of educators hear that know about this teach this or whatever. But someone that does route of my brains make it smoke looking at it trying to comprehend it and understand how it is more simpler then borrowing. Does anyone teaches that can actually explain it better than what I see on a lot of these threads and blog sites of these people?

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=88842

This core standard.org website looks so much like it ACA copied from its format.http://www.corestandards.org/

Longstreet
04-25-2014, 21:17
I may be able to shine some light on this 'new' type of math that you spoke about. While I do not use it in my classroom (personally I have never heard of it. I do live in Canada though so we do things a tad differently than you Americans), I do teach a more 'unconventional' math in junior school (I teach Grade 7) that does have many parallels with what you have described. I briefly looked over the links you sent and do see the merits in this style of math.

Let me know if I may be of any help. I can also send you what I use in the classroom which you may want to ask your child's teacher why she/he is not using such strategies if she/he is not. It is no longer about just memorizing a strategy, but rather understanding it and then being able to apply it in a particular situation.

Blooms Taxonomy speaks volumes about this style of math; however rote learning still plays a key role IMHO.

GratefulCitizen
04-25-2014, 22:52
I can see what they're trying to do.
The problem is that they're using symbols (written numbers) instead of drawing it on a number line (vectors) or using manipulatives like coins.

Using symbols when introducing this method prompts students to use verbal thinking when they should be using spatial thinking.
Use vectors or manipulatives until they're using spatial thinking, then translate the idea to symbols.

Teaching this takes a bit of individualized attention and is not well suited to mass instruction.

MtnGoat
04-26-2014, 05:45
I can see what they're trying to do.
The problem is that they're using symbols (written numbers) instead of drawing it on a number line (vectors) or using manipulatives like coins.

Using symbols when introducing this method prompts students to use verbal thinking when they should be using spatial thinking.
Use vectors or manipulatives until they're using spatial thinking, then translate the idea to symbols.

Teaching this takes a bit of individualized attention and is not well suited to mass instruction.

Hopefully below will explain my points

Jayson here and I may be able to shine some light on this 'new' type of math that you spoke about. While I do not use it in my classroom (personally I have never heard of it. I do live in Canada though so we do things a tad differently than you Americans), I do teach a more 'unconventional' math in junior school (I teach Grade 7) that does have many parallels with what you have described. I briefly looked over the links you sent and do see the merits in this style of math.

Let me know if I may be of any help. I can also send you what I use in the classroom which you may want to ask your child's teacher why she/he is not using such strategies if she/he is not. It is no longer about just memorizing a strategy, but rather understanding it and then being able to apply it in a particular situation.

Blooms Taxonomy speaks volumes about this style of math; however rote learning still plays a key role IMHO.

jaYson

Jayson I would say this is okay for middle school. Maybe 5th graders, our last year in elementary school here in the US. I understand from what I can read is that this is more of an introduction or representation of the students to understand equation thinking and calculations. Which I get for some of it but for majority of this common core math I do not understand how this is the same or equivalent to anything that is equations in the form of algebra or geometry or trigonometry. If you're trying to prep the kids and being able to see what equation is and how it works is great but some of these adding subtraction to get the answer is in my opinion Wayout there.

GratefulCitizen
04-26-2014, 07:44
Bring back the abacus.
Seriously.

It will do a much better job teaching the concepts these methods are attempting to address.
(Coins have been effective towards this end with my children).

GratefulCitizen
04-29-2014, 14:00
Common core effectively implements the first of the "seven lessons":
Confusion.

http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=29738