PDA

View Full Version : Phone card requests from Wounded at Walter Reed

Gypsy
12-04-2004, 09:48
The number ONE request at Walter Reed Hospital is phone cards. Your help would obviously make our service men or women very happy.

Send phone cards of any amount to:

Medical Family Assistance Center
Walter Reed Medical Center
6900 Georgia Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20307-5001

They say they need an "endless" supply of these -- any amount even $5 is greatly appreciated. WalMart and Sam's have good prices on their cards. CVS is running a "buy one, get one FREE" promo on phone cards right now.

(my emphasis on CVS)

I think I'll insert them into Christmas cards with a note of thanks and well wishes.

lrd
12-05-2004, 05:42
Gypsy,

I'm going to track my cards this year, and instead of sending new cards when the minutes get low I'll call and add additional minutes.

~L

AngelsSix
12-05-2004, 14:28
I have some spares floating around my locker here in KooWait. I will dig them out and send them up. I will also ask for others to send them. Thanks for posting the address!!

Gypsy
12-05-2004, 15:58
That's cool of ya A6, hope you are doing well!

L...great idea.

FYI the cards at CVS that are buy one get one free are from Sprint. The clerk originally told me she didn't think the promo was still going on, but when she rang them up we discovered it was.

jatx
12-05-2004, 16:10
I'm going out to price these at various places here in North Texas and will let you guys know what kind of deals I find. Everyone on my Christmas list is having some donated on their behalf as "stocking stuffers". :lifter

Gypsy
12-05-2004, 16:29
I'm hitting up friends and relatives as well. The prices at CVS are $10 (111 minutes), $20 and so on. You can buy based on the minutes on the cards, and make sure they activate them before you leave the store!

lrd
12-05-2004, 19:46
....Everyone on my Christmas list is having some donated on their behalf as "stocking stuffers". :lifterNow that is an excellent idea!

jatx
12-06-2004, 10:28
Okay, I shopped around yesterday and here's what I found:

1. CVS - 111 minute cards for $9.99 per Gypsy's report, 2 for 1 is in effect

2. Walgreen's - 100 minute cards for $10.00, 2 for 1 will start next week

3. 7-Eleven - 101 minute cards for $10.00, no sales planned

4. Tom Thumb - 3x100 minute cards for 26.99, no sales planned

5. Walmart - 120 minute cards for $8.88

So for now, CVS/Eckerd is the winner. I bought twenty and am mailing them tomorrow.

jatx
12-06-2004, 10:36
I strongly believe that this is a worthy object of our efforts. So, if Walter Reed says that they need a "limitless supply" of calling cards, let's try to oblige.

I'll put my money where my mouth is and award a brand new Surefire G2 light to whomever reports shipping the most "minutes" to our injured troops by December 15th. Contributions made by your friends, family and colleagues will count toward your individual total. Post your total here, and I'll mail the prize to the winner on December 16th.

Happy holidays!

The Reaper
12-06-2004, 11:29
Last time I bought one, I think Sam's was 600 minutes for $20 or so.

TR

Ambush Master
12-06-2004, 11:44
Last time I bought one, I think Sam's was 600 minutes for $20 or so.
TR

Sam's Club are $0.029/min !!! I think the smallest is either 600 or 800 .

Gypsy
12-06-2004, 12:31
Wow jatx thanks for your 'legwork' and posting that information. I think it is cool you are putting up an award too...

I sent out an email to everyone I work with in my region and am going to email someone at corporate headquarters to see if they would put out an announcement. With over 300 offices if even two people per office go out and purchase them to send to Walter Reed...think of how many Troops will be reached! That's what it is all about...

Roycroft201
12-06-2004, 12:53
Gypsy,

Thanks so much for posting the request for Walter Reed !

And thanks, also, to everyone who has posted info. on where we can find 'best buys' for the cards we'll be sending to Walter Reed.

In the same spirit of giving, I hope you don't mind if I add on one other link here.

For those of us who are not military family members, the Military Post Exchanges have made an exception for civilians like us who would like to send Global phone cards to those deployed troops we support in OIF/OEF.

This is the link they have provided :

https://thor.aafes.com/scs/default.aspx

If anyone has a better deal for the Global cards, I'd appreciate the info.

Hopefully, all of the troops - those at Walter Reed and those deployed - will have much more phone time hearing the voices of their families this holiday season.

Gypsy
12-07-2004, 12:43
Thanks for that info on the Global calling cards B!

I have to share. I am sitting here in my office (thank goodness I have a door) bawling my eyes out...a good friend of mine that I have known for years told me just now that he's giving me $300.00 to buy calling cards and I should use some of it to send more packages overseas. Three hundred dollars.

I know, I know...there is NO crying on Professional Soldiers, but well...just this once.

Roycroft201
12-07-2004, 18:46
Good people attract good friends, Gypsy.

That's terrific !

jatx
12-15-2004, 13:04
Last call to post your contributions here. The individual who has been responsible for sending the most "minutes" to Walter Reed will have the Surefire light shipped to them tomorrow.

Gypsy
12-15-2004, 13:21
Forgot all about your contest jatx.

The promotion for the 2 for 1 is over, as of last Saturday.

I was only able to send 1110 minutes (10 cards) my own self. My generous benefactor who wished to contribute to my support efforts sent me the money inside of a proposal for a businesss deal. It never arrived, it is lost. AND he sent cash. WTF? Non-registered mail, not FedEx'd...just your regular mail....yep $300.00 in cash is gone. You know, he is a great guy...but the brain has a cramp or twelve. :rolleyes: Sighhhh.

I have a contact for someone in the ME that passes out US calling cards to the Troops (they have phones set up in this particular camp through a US grid, so international cards are not required)...they will get some too. Evidently Walter Reed has a large surplus of cards right now from what I've heard...but since the benefactor said he will replace said funds to me I'll still send more.

Team Sergeant
12-16-2004, 10:46
Folks,
New target. Tripler Army Hospital in Hawaii, which has handled more than 300 wounded (25th Infantry Division Soldiers, for the most part, I reckon) has run out of phone cards for the troops there. I have verified this fact with a close friend who works in the Public Affairs office there. So if you missed the opportunity to send some to Walter Reed, you have a second chance. Send them to:

Tripler Army Medical Center PAO
ATTN.: MCHK-IO
1 Jarrett White Road
Honolulu, HI 96859

I'll be picking up some phone cards today......

TS

PS, Copy and paste this on every bulletin board you know, send it to all your email friends and family, the troops need to know were here for them.

Gypsy
12-16-2004, 18:23
Thank you for the info TS, and will do.

lrd
12-17-2004, 05:00
PS, Copy and paste this on every bulletin board you know, send it to all your email friends and family, the troops need to know were here for them.Done, TS.

AngelsSix
12-17-2004, 13:02
I sent up a request to the "mom's" that have been sending stuff for us while we are here. I am certain that you will get some sent ASAP. They have honored every request we have made threefold since we have been here.
Stay safe out there!!