PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh: Rumsfeld says ‘a trained ape’ could outperform Obama in Afghanistan

BMT (RIP)
03-26-2014, 07:51
http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/61982

:D

BMT

Dusty
03-26-2014, 09:21
We've been in A-stan longer than we were in Nam.

Don't hear a lot of comparisons from the partisan press, though...

The Reaper
03-26-2014, 20:24
We've been in A-stan longer than we were in Nam.

Don't hear a lot of comparisons from the partisan press, though...

Is it a quagmire now?

I don't seem to recall hearing that phrase since 2008 or so.

TR

the squid
03-27-2014, 11:58
The assessment is correct.

I just don't think Donald Rumsfeld is the person to be making that assessment, considering his own track record the last decade.

uplink5
03-27-2014, 19:50
The assessment is correct.

I just don't think Donald Rumsfeld is the person to be making that assessment, considering his own track record the last decade.

Alot has happened in the last decade yet Rumsfeld left his SecDef duties in 2006, and his assessment is I feel correct as well....

I also feel that any Secretary of Defense not serving a Democrat administration will catch hell no matter what transpires. In hindsight, Rumsfeld made some bad calls. That said though, I wish he was back instead of the idiot we currently have. We don't have to wait for "hindsight" to see how Hagel wants to dismantle everything for his Commander in Chief.

the squid
03-28-2014, 06:16
Alot has happened in the last decade yet Rumsfeld left his SecDef duties in 2006, and his assessment is I feel correct as well....

I also feel that any Secretary of Defense not serving a Democrat administration will catch hell no matter what transpires. In hindsight, Rumsfeld made some bad calls. That said though, I wish he was back instead of the idiot we currently have. We don't have to wait for "hindsight" to see how Hagel wants to dismantle everything for his Commander in Chief.

Indeed he did leave on '06. I shouldn't have spoken so broadly.

From what I have read, SECDEF Rumsfeld was a lot like McNamara. I think that with the invasion of Iraq, he (not neccesarily the nation, or the military), was well served by having GEN Franks as his CENTCOM Chief. GEN Franks was famous for telling the Civilians over him "You guys worry about the day after, let me worry about the day of." Which is great and all, but I think the lank of frank strategic advise by the Generals (or his dismissal of it, not sure which) caused a lot of the initial problems with the early occupation of Iraq. Yes, it is the military's job to execute policy and not decide it, but if General Officers do not provide frank assessments of the 2nd and 3rd order effects of policy decisions made by their civilian masters, then they're doing their nation a disservice.

I give credit for Rumsfeld being decisive. That seems to be something lacking foreign policy wise in this current administration. I think, however, that he was too much of a micromanager who wanted his Generals and Admirals to be extensions of his own personality, vice independent Officers who would "object to the point of insurbordation, and then when the decision is made carry out the orders as if they were their own" to quote COL Ralph Puckett.

Simply put, I have read from multiple different sources that Secretary Rumsfeld was a borderline toxic leader who wanted yes men.

And on your last point, I am completely unimpressed with the current Secretary of Defense. He seems little more than a lap dog for the current President.

uplink5
03-28-2014, 06:46
Simply put, I have read from multiple different sources that Secretary Rumsfeld was a borderline toxic leader who wanted yes men.

That line identifies a hefty number of leaders I've known over the years.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but, I feel that Rumsfeld did the job the way he saw fit, and took the blame for many, to include himself.

He was no Robert McNamara....jd

Basenshukai
03-28-2014, 09:40

I've read, and heard, the same assessment on him. I have been very critical in my own assessment of Rumsfeld. Yet, it is an interesting irony that while it seems that the above is true, it is also true that we (SOF) hardly ever had an ally in the inner circle as passionate about special operations in DoD as he was.