PDA

View Full Version : No Flags for the Fallen

Pete
03-21-2014, 09:38
No Flags for the Fallen

Families report difficulty fulfilling "the last thing we can do to honor our veterans".

The above is an article in this issue of The American Legion.

Its about VA distributes about 500,000 flags a year to a variety of locations including Post Offices. Talks about a family or funeral director can get a free flag with proof of service. This is all based on a program created by Congress in 1958.

It appears in a great number of places the Flags ain't there.

It appears they will screw a vet right up to planting time.

BryanK
03-21-2014, 09:52
So is the issue the fact that these establishments are not displaying provided flags? Or is it that the VA has not been providing them? I found a link relating to this on the VA.gov site:

http://www.va.gov/oal/docs/government/sdc/memo796-13-01.pdf

There is also an organization that will actually install flagpoles and provide flags for fallen Military members families here:

http://www.flagsforfallenmilitary.org/

snip:

The purpose behind Flags For Fallen Military is to provide a lasting honor and tribute to those families who have lost a loved one in the line of duty. We discreetly seek out families who wish to honor their loved ones and engage them in a respectful manner. We hope that the process leads the family to accept, at no cost to them, our offer to install a Flagpole and hoist an American Flag in their desired location.

Pete
03-21-2014, 11:26
The problem is the families go to Post Offices requesting the flag for a funeral service and are told none are available.

There is a disconnect somewhere. A disconnect that is just coming to light in the past year or so.

So the questions would be 1) Has there always been this disconnect or is this something new? 2) Where is the disconnect and how can it be fixed?

BryanK
03-21-2014, 11:39
According to the memo link I posted, it looks like some people are not doing their job. There seems to be ways to circumvent the P.O. and get one from a VAMC:

3. Initial Issue and Replenishment Process for Issuing Offices:

a. Post offices will accept VA Form 27-2008, Application for Unites States Flag for Burial Purposes, ensuring all appropriate information is completed, and issue one flag per veteran. Under no circumstances should flags be issued without a properly completed form. Forms must be completed by the post office and mailed to the appropriate regional office within three days of receipt to ensure timely notification of death to the VA. Post offices should ensure that a legible address is entered into the issuing office blocks to ensure a replenishment flag can be issued.

b. All offices issuing flags, i.e. U.S. post offices, VAMCs and national cemeteries, should have an assigned VA Regional Office (VARO) and point of contact at that facility for requesting replenishment of flags. All issuing offices are initially supplied with an operating inventory of flags based upon demand and other local conditions. An initial supply of flags for new issuing offices should be obtained by requesting an initial stock from the VA SDC who will supply the flags and assign the new post office to the appropriate VARO for future replenishment support. The SDC will forward a copy of the assignment letter to the VARO with initial POC information. For initial stock or in the event of a problem with the replenishment process, the SDC Operations Division, Hines, Illinois may be contacted for assistance by sending an e-mail message to Flags.Interment@va.gov , or in an emergency by phoning (708) 786-7758 or 7509. If necessary, the SDC Director’s Office may also be contacted at (708) 786-7502/7505. When placing replenishment orders for flags, issuing offices should provide their servicing VARO with all the completed VA Form 27-2008s they have collected.

c. U.S. Postal Service (USPS) offices and VAROs may view the most current list of VA Regional Office points of contact at the SDC website http://www.va.gov/oal/government/sdc/burialFlags.asp . Post offices currently being replenished directly by the VA Service and Distribution Center in Hines IL will continue to do so by submitting VA Forms 27-2008 and accompanying documentation to the SDC.

JJ_BPK
03-21-2014, 11:55
The problem is the families go to Post Offices requesting the flag for a funeral service and are told none are available.

There is a disconnect somewhere. A disconnect that is just coming to light in the past year or so.

So the questions would be 1) Has there always been this disconnect or is this something new? 2) Where is the disconnect and how can it be fixed?

For both my father's (USCG-USN) and mother's (US Army) internment, the funeral director asked about military service. I produced the needed paperwork and he procured the flags. In all the veterans internments (about 8) I have been involved in the funeral home always procured the flag.

I'm a little confused about the USPS & funeral link??

Richard
03-21-2014, 14:09
For both my father's (USCG-USN) and mother's (US Army) internment, the funeral director asked about military service. I produced the needed paperwork and he procured the flags.

Same thing when we interred my father (WW2 USN PTO).

As for the post office, I went to the post office the other day to mail a large envelope and wound up waiting in line for over a half an hour. What should have been a simple task turned frustrating when the Automated Postal Center (which I normally use for mailing large envelopes and small packages) wasn't working and I had to go through the regular line. There was only one of the five service windows being manned but there was a guy out on the floor with a small paper pad asking people questions about their mailings, checking boxes on the paper, and then handing it to the customer to give to the guy at the window. When he asked what I needed, I told him that 'we' needed him to be manning a service window and not out here pretending to be efficient. He went on to the next customer as several other people in line added similar comments in agreement.

If I needed a flag, I certainly would not go to the post office expecting to get one.

Richard

Pete
03-21-2014, 14:39
I would think the Post Office is involved is because its close. Just about everybody lives near one.

Not so much for VAMCs and a National Cemetery.

Team Sergeant
03-21-2014, 15:14
No Flags for the Fallen

Families report difficulty fulfilling "the last thing we can do to honor our veterans".

The above is an article in this issue of The American Legion.

Its about VA distributes about 500,000 flags a year to a variety of locations including Post Offices. Talks about a family or funeral director can get a free flag with proof of service. This is all based on a program created by Congress in 1958.

It appears in a great number of places the Flags ain't there.

It appears they will screw a vet right up to planting time.

The hell with the flags, the Obama's need money for their 39th vacation and France is expensive.......

MR2
03-21-2014, 21:36
The hell with the flags, the Obama's need money for their 39th vacation and France is expensive.......

Hmmm... You think there's any chance Putin might invade...

Pete
03-22-2014, 03:44
Hmmm... You think there's any chance Putin might invade...

Us or France?

Gypsy
03-23-2014, 17:12
For both my father's (USCG-USN) and mother's (US Army) internment, the funeral director asked about military service. I produced the needed paperwork and he procured the flags. In all the veterans internments (about 8) I have been involved in the funeral home always procured the flag.

This was the circumstance when my father died, they provided the Flag.

Utah Bob
03-23-2014, 21:35
This was the circumstance when my father died, they provided the Flag.

Yeah. Same here. I never would have considered the USPS. :confused:

FlagDayNCO
03-24-2014, 07:30
We tend to forget that the US Postal Service delivers mail and Official documents from the Federal Gubmint.

The Post Office is also supposed to be the face of the US Government in every local jurisdiction. There are Federal regulations that incite the U S Post Office as the place to carry out our business with the Federal Gubmint. The VA flag issue is one example.

More examples are Passports (State Department) and Military Registration (Selective Service).

When the closing of the Post Offices was in the news cycle, many rural locations cited the requirement to have a Post Office as a sort of Federal office.

mojaveman
03-24-2014, 21:06
As for the post office, I went to the post office the other day to mail a large envelope and wound up waiting in line for over a half an hour. What should have been a simple task turned frustrating when the Automated Postal Center (which I normally use for mailing large envelopes and small packages) wasn't working and I had to go through the regular line. There was only one of the five service windows being manned but there was a guy out on the floor with a small paper pad asking people questions about their mailings, checking boxes on the paper, and then handing it to the customer to give to the guy at the window. When he asked what I needed, I told him that 'we' needed him to be manning a service window and not out here pretending to be efficient. He went on to the next customer as several other people in line added similar comments in agreement.

If I needed a flag, I certainly would not go to the post office expecting to get one.

Richard

Agree.

I gave up on the USPS a long time ago and only go there if I absolutely have to. The service there just isn't what it used to be. I mostly use the private postal businesses now. They're quicker and much more efficient.