PDA

View Full Version : Molding Kydex?

PSM
03-18-2014, 16:36
I love my Crossbreed holster, but I added a laser to my HK so I need a custom holster and I decided to make it myself using a kit from Old Faithful Holsters.

While doing my homework on molding Kydex, some people suggest that molding the ejection port may cause the pistol to be out of battery. If so, that doesn’t sound like a problem while in the holster. It seems that drawing it would bring it back into battery. Am I wrong and should I fill the port? It seems the molded port adds a bit more grip to the Kydex.

Pat

wishbone
03-18-2014, 17:47
Pat,
I did a compromise with my molded Kydex holster (not from a kit) and I built up the area with several layers of tape to bring it close to the level of the slide, but still enough to allow the weapon to be securely held by the holster. Another way to do it is just heat it up slightly when you are fitting your weapon as a final step and make sure it slides in and out easier and it stays in battery. Just don't heat it so much that the plastic around the rivets is weakened. I've only made two holsters so I'm far from an expert on it but both solutions worked together for me. I would try to prevent your pistol from being out of battery while in the holster, for reliability when you draw it as well as to keep dirt and moisture out.

Sam

PSM
03-18-2014, 17:55
Another way to do it is just heat it up slightly when you are fitting your weapon as a final step and make sure it slides in and out easier and it stays in battery.

Sam

Ah, I like that! That's what I'll do. Thanks, Sam.

Pat

PSM
03-31-2014, 19:44
Went to work on this project this afternoon. I love this stuff! I have a feeling that lots of my stuff is going to get sheaths. The dog may even get new booties. :D

I re-did the mold 3 times before I (thought) got it right. Now I think I've got it inside out. They said to make the textured side the outside, which I did. But the textured side is the shiny side and I think it would cause less wear to the finish.

Also, when I tested the fit, the out-of-battery problem was no problem at all. But, it did turn on the laser sight. So, I'll toss it back into the oven tomorrow. I love how it goes back to it's original state when heated.

One note, OF Holsters' kit provided less leather than the Crossbreed but the leather and Kydex is thicker. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not, yet. I think the thinner Kydex would mold better.

Pat

Barbarian
03-31-2014, 20:05
Pat,
The shiny side is usually the non textured side, which goes on the inside(normally). Sounds like your situation is different?

Regarding thickness, you're correct in that thinner kydex molds tighter. Thicker kydex is more durable but also is less forgiving where retention in concerned. HTH.

PSM
03-31-2014, 21:04
Pat,
The shiny side is usually the non textured side, which goes on the inside(normally). Sounds like your situation is different?

Regarding thickness, you're correct in that thinner kydex molds tighter. Thicker kydex is more durable but also is less forgiving where retention in concerned. HTH.

Here are a couple of pix. The shiny "textured" side looks nicer but, I think, would be kinder to the HK. It's IWB, so who's going to see it? ;)

Pat

Barbarian
04-01-2014, 07:39
Here are a couple of pix. The shiny "textured" side looks nicer but, I think, would be kinder to the HK. It's IWB, so who's going to see it?;)

Pat

Oh, I see. Looks like the sheets that came with the kit you bought are "P-A Smooth" textured, so the slick side IS the textured side in this case. I agree that the shiny side will be less abrasive. Colors, textures and material grades of kydex have specific designations, so if you plan to do more kydexing, and need sources or info, just shoot me a PM.