PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Slings

jarmyguy
12-01-2004, 20:11
First, I would like to thank those who replied to my question on Oakley Sunglasses. :cool:

Now to the point, I would like to know more about 1-point, 2-point, and 3-point slings :munchin
1. The use of each type of sling
2. Advantage and disadvantage of each
3. Any other helpful information

Thank you

Smokin Joe
12-01-2004, 23:06
Single point stuff.

Click Me (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1389&highlight=Single+Point+Slings)

Tetrian
12-07-2004, 16:14
From what i've observed so far, the advantage to single points is that you can switch the weapon from shoulder to shoulder without taking off the sling, and also its easier and faster to detach the sling from the weapon when needed.

Disadvantage is that it the weapon has a tendency to flap around some unless its in your hands, since you pretty much only have one option to how it will be hanging, namely with the barrel pointing at the ground and into your legs.

The 3-pointers seems more comfortable, since they offer some more support to take the weight off the weapon, and also you can move that weight around when needed. And also you can pretty much just let go of the weapon, and it will be hanging with the nozzle facing in angle you left it at, very nice when kneeling down and similar, since you wont be pointing the nozzle into the ground by default.

Disadvantage is that its hard to detach in a hurry - since they have a tendency to fold out to a full yard(meter)'s length, when unbuckled - I'm sure i dont need to explain how anoying running with a yard of line attached to your weapon(if you get so far, since it probably will be filtered onto your webgear when you released it), and also, unless you made some half half 1 point/3 point system, you cant really move it to the other shoulder in a hurry.

Speed and simplicity versus a slow and comfy i guess :)

Im sure one of the Pro's can give a better explanation though. :munchin

Polypro
12-07-2004, 19:48
I have both a single point and a 3 point from CQB Solutions (Now Spector). I take the 3 point SOP Sling when I travel. The transition clip and release buckle held up during daily vehicle operations in the box. I'm sure there are other good ones as well, but that's what I had.

P

stanley_white
12-07-2004, 20:08
I bought a few of these and love them.

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/products/slings/urban_ops_sling/

The best part is that you can buy one sling and multiple adapters to attach to a variety of weapon systems. Then you can just grab a rifle and click it to the sling and with a small adjustment you're good to go. It's convenient if you're running different weapon systems.

Also for those of us who have to check our long guns prior to going into a CP or something it's nice to just have to click the fastex buckle and you can check your weapon. Very convenient.

Also since the adapter portion that attaches to the rifle uses a slip knot you don't have to use any of the fancy single point adapters around the pistol grip / buffer spring area on your M4. This is nice for folks who might be on a budget or who cannot alter their weapons.

This is in addition to all the regular features that some with a single point sling.

The Reaper
12-07-2004, 20:16
Looks like it would foul the charging handle.

They say that is is not for M-16 series weapons.

Any problems with the M-4?

TR

stanley_white
12-07-2004, 20:20
Looks like it would foul the charging handle.

They say that is is not for M-16 series weapons.

Any problems with the M-4?

TR

I've used mine with M4, and AK47 with no problems.

I will try it out with an MP5 as soon as I get some downtime at work.