PDA

View Full Version : WTB: S&W J Frame all models considered

mdpatterson
03-16-2014, 00:17
Looking for a S&W J frame for my Mom (A gift that I will pay for but she will fill out form 4473). She has carried for years but think it may be time for her to switch to a revolver. Not looking for any specific model, but don't need a safe queen or scandium/titanium either.

Anyone who has something and willing to part with at a reasonable price, shoot me a pm or e-mail. I have lots to trade as well (If a private sale, all regulations will be complied with).

Thanks,

Mike

The need has been filled. Sorry for any confusion about legality. I take for granted that everyone here knows the laws but didn't consider how many people might read this and not understand. Tom Kelly, thank you for mentioning it so I could correct it.

tom kelly
03-25-2014, 15:48
Looking for a S&W J frame for my Mom. She has carried for years but think it may be time for her to switch to a revolver. Not looking for any specific model, but don't need a safe queen or scandium/titanium either.

Anyone who has something and willing to part with at a reasonable price, shoot me a pm or e-mail. I have lots to trade as well.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, the way in which you phrased your request for a S&W J frame revolver would be a "STRAW PURCHASE" and thus a violation of the law. I would ask to acquire the firearm for your personnel use, and what you do with it after it is transferred to you would be your decision.TK

mdpatterson
03-25-2014, 17:22
Already acquired the "Gift" and I always follow ATF rules. I have dealt with the ATF for way too many years to break/bend any of their rules. Just to clarify my initial post so legality is not in question? I was looking for a S&W J frame as a gift for my Mother. If it was coming from a FFL, I would have supplied the payment and my Mom would have filled out the 4473. If it was coming from another AZ resident who is not an FFL, we could have worked out the details of the private sale while complying with all regulations.

Mike

The Reaper
03-25-2014, 19:49
Possible lesson learned for others here.

Buying a gun for someone else, particularly if you think they might otherwise be prohibited from owning one, is a felony offense that the government takes very seriously called a "strawman sale."

You should not ask to buy a firearm for someone else, unless, as noted, they are going to be completing the 4473 as the legal purchaser.

That is why, in many raffles or auctions, rather than a firearm, you get a certificate for the firearm, and then you go to the dealer to complete the paperwork.

Firearms rules are taken seriously and people are prosecuted every week. Do the right thing and stay legal.

TR

mdpatterson
06-23-2015, 05:31
I hate to say I actually did this the correct no issues way of buying and having my Mom go pick up and fill out the paperwork at a LGS, and just today actually read all of the 4473 I have skipped over for years. I should have been paying more attention in this case......no straw purchase worries right on page 4 (Never too old to learn something new):

Question 11.a. Actual Transferee/Buyer: For purposes of this form, you are the actual transferee/buyer if you are purchasing the firearm for yourself or otherwise acquiring the firearm for yourself (e.g., redeeming the firearm from pawn/retrieving it from consignment, firearm raffle winner). You are also the actual transferee/buyer if you are legitimately purchasing the firearm as a gift for a third party. ACTUAL TRANSFEREE/BUYER EXAMPLES: Mr. Smith asks Mr. Jones to purchase a firearm for Mr. Smith. Mr. Smith gives Mr. Jones the money for the firearm. Mr. Jones is NOT THE ACTUAL TRANS- FEREE/BUYER of the firearm and must answer “NO” to question 11.a. The licensee may not transfer the firearm to Mr. Jones. However, if Mr. Brown goes to buy a firearm with his own money to give to Mr. Black as a present, Mr. Brown is the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm and should answer “YES” to question 11.a. However, you may not transfer a firearm to any person you know or have reasonable cause to believe is prohibited under 18 U.S.C. § 922(g), (n), or (x). Please note: EXCEPTION: If you are picking up a repaired firearm(s) for another person, you are not required to answer 11.a. and may proceed to question 11.b.