PDA

View Full Version : Help RL Pick Out A New Car

Roguish Lawyer
12-01-2004, 19:47
OK, Team Sergeant did it. So will I.

I currently drive a 1997 BMW 540i. Thinking about replacing it with a new 545. What do y'all think? :munchin

The Reaper
12-01-2004, 19:49
OK, Team Sergeant did it. So will I.

I currently drive a 1997 BMW 540i. Thinking about replacing it with a new 545. What do y'all think? :munchin

Fast and ostentatious.

Why not go all the way and get an M5?

TR

Roguish Lawyer
12-01-2004, 19:56
Fast and ostentatious.

Why not go all the way and get an M5?

TR

1. I don't think they are making them currently, although a new M5 is coming out in the next year or two IIRC.

2. Big price difference.

3. I live in LA, and there is way too much traffic to drive a stick.

But I like the way you think.

Let's not consider anything significantly more expensive than a loaded 545, which is expensive enough! :munchin

The Reaper
12-01-2004, 20:07
Lexus LS 430?

More money to step up to the AMG 55.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
12-01-2004, 20:11
More money to step up to the AMG 55.

A good friend has one and loves it. I think TS will meet him shortly.

QRQ 30
12-01-2004, 20:16
I believe there is a clearance on Yugos. :D

Get a BMW bike and join Bo's club!!

Sacamuelas
12-01-2004, 20:43
Keep your current car... buy 75 HK pistols and 400 rounds per gun and then send one each to the top 75 posters on this board.

Use the remaining money to pay for the Team Sergeant to put on a weekend training course at your expense for all of us. :D

Roguish Lawyer
12-01-2004, 20:45
Keep your current car... buy 75 HK pistols and 400 rounds per gun and then send one each to the top 75 posters on this board.

Use the remaining money to pay for the Team Sergeant to put on a weekend training course at your expense for all of us. :D

Did you think this was a thread about which shrimp boat to buy? Scat!

Achilles
12-01-2004, 22:11
Mercedes S500 is a nice car. My dad has had a couple of BMW 740il's. Those are nice too. The new 745i's look like space ships IMHO. Or maybe I'm just not used to the look yet.... If you don't mind an SUV, the new Range Rover is very nice too.

QRQ 30
12-01-2004, 22:21
There's entirely too much money on this Forum. How about spreading some around to us poor OLD disabled, retired fixed income victims. :p :D :boohoo

CPTAUSRET
12-01-2004, 22:29
We ended up purchasing 3 new cars this year. For Nancy an Audi Allroad dual turbo, for me a new VW Touareg V8, and a new Z06 Corvette, like the knife thread each vehicle fills a niche. The Vette just makes me feel younger, and that's enough.

So the car needs to satisfy your needs, or wants, or both if you can swing it.

Perhaps too much wine this evening, but you get the point.

Terry

zeroalpha
12-01-2004, 22:30
Id go for a Range Rover HSE or if you don't mind waiting, the new Discovery 3 D3... due out early next year....

Top of the line D3 will be about the same price s the bottom Rangie.

Ok, I am biased.... I drive one :D

Smokin Joe
12-01-2004, 22:52
My cousin had one, great car. Very safe too, a cement truck plowed my cousin in his M5 through a stop light pole and into a fire Hydrant. My cousin walked away from the accident without a scratch.

I would vote for the M5 or a Volvo.

Solid
12-01-2004, 22:58
I hear great things about the new Saab and Volvo sedans, which by now look pretty identical to beamers. Less prestige, of course, but the reliability and accident-safety standards are higher.

Solid

Achilles
12-02-2004, 00:18
There's entirely too much money on this Forum. How about spreading some around to us poor OLD disabled, retired fixed income victims. :p :D :boohoo

I don't think I'm going to be able to even afford a car on E-3 pay... I'll probably get a motorcycle. Of course I can't ever mention to my parents I own one or they would flip. My uncle is the CEO of an insurance company back home and he calls motocycle riders "organ donors." I figure I won't have enough to afford payments + insurance on a car I'd enjoy < 25 not married no permanent residence = way high payments. But I could afford a damn nice bike. Unless I start a business with an old buddy of mine I doubt I'll be driving anything with 4 doors until I'm out of the Army or I get married. :eek:

DanUCSB
12-02-2004, 01:07
I don't think I'm going to be able to even afford a car on E-3 pay...

What are you talking about? Right outside of every post are a bunch of places to sell you a car. You'll know them by their signs advertising "E-1? No credit? C'mon in!" They'll hook you up with some E-Z payments. :D

Achilles
12-02-2004, 01:21
Haha, I'd prefer to wait until I can afford something nice and have it take less than 1/3 of my income to pay it off in a short time frame. Either that or just save up lots of cash. I'm thinking about buying a 200,000$ condo here and renting it out + kick in 300-400$ a month toward the mortgage and have a really nice pad here in Austin to come back to after 5-10 yrs. That and I'd have a lot of equity to borrow against, and if I live elsewhere I would have added income. BTW, I hate interest rates!!

For any other cheapskates out there.... check this out http://www.ohmygoditburns.com/wordpress/index.php?m=20041105

I didn't want to start a new thread based on that, but I've heard it works for cheap whiskey too. :D

End of hijack. So what are you leaning towards RL? :munchin

Sdiver
12-02-2004, 01:34
Buy American !!!!!

Nuff Said !!! :lifter

Huey14
12-02-2004, 04:54
Buy American !!!!!

Nuff Said !!! :lifter

Yes, but why would you have the old trout when you can have the cavier? :p

Problems with the traffic? Drive up, and over, a couple of office blocks! Having trouble with the Colombian drug lord next door? Mount a Gympie on the top and shoot his arse!

Land Rover Defender 110. Can't beat it.

Just don't lean over too much in it.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
12-02-2004, 06:42
Let's see, a lawyer in Los Angles. Drive by shootings, gang warfare, car theft, annoying traffic jams, problems with parking, and I am sure that no new car last without getting its first ding more than a week. Then there is the potential of invasion from the SW, the need to get thru various hazards to get to work, a secure private place to take depositions. I think I have the solution for you. It is American made, great traction, self protection, mounts an electronically fired .50 caliber, provides room for a secretary, has power to run those clandestine video cameras, and is currently excess in the inventory.

Jack Moroney

The Reaper
12-02-2004, 07:46
I don't think I'm going to be able to even afford a car on E-3 pay... I'll probably get a motorcycle. Of course I can't ever mention to my parents I own one or they would flip. My uncle is the CEO of an insurance company back home and he calls motocycle riders "organ donors." I figure I won't have enough to afford payments + insurance on a car I'd enjoy < 25 not married no permanent residence = way high payments. But I could afford a damn nice bike. Unless I start a business with an old buddy of mine I doubt I'll be driving anything with 4 doors until I'm out of the Army or I get married. :eek:

I am a motorcycle rider.

Have been for 35 years.

I recommend that you NOT get a bike, because of age, experience, location, job, and a tendency by young men to buy something really fast.

You will not save much money because insurance on a bike will eat your lunch.

I recommend a beater pick-up truck and a nice dirt bike you can put in the back and hurt yourself off-road at a lower speed with no traffic while you learn to ride.

Good luck.

TR

Achilles
12-02-2004, 08:03
Thanks for the advice, TR. You do make a good point about buying something fast. I'm an adrenaline junkie, so a bike might be a bad idea. I'm not making any plans right now, but I'll review my options in 6 months and see where I am then.

Jo Sul
12-02-2004, 08:04
Forget all the yuppie BMWs and Mercedes - get a nice big manly truck. Considering that you live in LA, you should also go with Sac's idea and buy the pistols for so you can shoot back at the other LA drivers. The truck will give you better fields of fire.

The Reaper
12-02-2004, 08:22
Thanks for the advice, TR. You do make a good point about buying something fast. I'm an adrenaline junkie, so a bike might be a bad idea. I'm not making any plans right now, but I'll review my options in 6 months and see where I am then.

That is a natural law.

When I was growing up, few street bikes could break 110 mph. Now you can buy one off the floor that can go 200 mph.

You get a 125cc MX bike and the gear, and learn how to ride it before you push the limits, you will have all of the adrenaline flow you can stand.

Chicks dig casts, too!

TR

Huey14
12-02-2004, 10:00
Any vehicle with which you can reach out and touch the footpath in a corner isn't for sane people :D

Roguish Lawyer
12-02-2004, 10:12
Let's see, a lawyer in Los Angles. Drive by shootings, gang warfare, car theft, annoying traffic jams, problems with parking, and I am sure that no new car last without getting its first ding more than a week. Then there is the potential of invasion from the SW, the need to get thru various hazards to get to work, a secure private place to take depositions. I think I have the solution for you. It is American made, great traction, self protection, mounts an electronically fired .50 caliber, provides room for a secretary, has power to run those clandestine video cameras, and is currently excess in the inventory.

Jack Moroney

Now THAT is the kind of advice I've been looking for! LMAO

I'm going to test drive the 545, the AMG 55, whatever Lexus wants me to try, and anything else people recommend. We already have an SUV, so I don't intend to buy another.

Pandora
12-02-2004, 11:07
Chrysler 300 - hemi, of course

Huey14
12-02-2004, 11:09
A Defender isn't counted as an SUV.

QRQ 30
12-02-2004, 11:13
Speaking of Chryslers the new Dodsge Magnum is awsome -- the RS hemi of course. TV doesn't do it justice, you have to see one up close.

Mercedes technology is now manifesting itself in the newer Daimler-Chrysler products. Those torn between buying American and German technology can now have their cake and eat it too!!

Looking for donations to buy gas for my 1990 F-150 with 275,000 miles.

Pandora
12-02-2004, 12:04
You are correct, Sir. I got to drive my FIL's Magnum a few days ago and it was a sweet ride. Style, function and speed makes for a nice mix.

Still prefer my 300 though.

EX-Gold Falcon
12-02-2004, 13:50
Have you looked at the new Caddy CTS-V with 400Hp? I had the opportunity to take one for a spin: WOW. Absolutely Stupid-Fast! Easily the match for most euro-sedans.
Even the new STS (Rwd finally!) looks to be a serious sports sedan as well.

Though if you're dead-set on a european car, then the Audi S4 would be the way to go. Incredible V8 engine/exhaust note and awesome thrust.

Thats my $.25

T.

Roguish Lawyer
12-02-2004, 14:05
Have you looked at the new Caddy CTS-V with 400Hp? I had the opportunity to take one for a spin: WOW. Absolutely Stupid-Fast! Easily the match for most euro-sedans.
Even the new STS (Rwd finally!) looks to be a serious sports sedan as well.

Though if you're dead-set on a european car, then the Audi S4 would be the way to go. Incredible V8 engine/exhaust note and awesome thrust.

Thats my $.25

T.

Kind of ugly, but I'll test-drive one. My wife's Dad is a retired GM engineer, so I could probably get an employee rate! :cool:

Ambush Master
12-02-2004, 14:45
Here's just the item for ya !! LA Traffic, no problem!!!

Roguish Lawyer
12-02-2004, 15:23
Here's just the item for ya !! LA Traffic, no problem!!!

Perfect! Where do I pick one up? LOL

Guy
12-02-2004, 17:06
Automatic all the way! The traffic here is outrageous, a stick shift would kill a SOB on the streets of San Fran.

I'm a cheap bastard. :D A good used car, beats a brand new one any day.

That goes for suits also. GOD I love goodwill/Salvation army shopping! :lifter

Roguish Lawyer
12-02-2004, 17:09
A good used car, beats a brand new one any day.

This will be my first new one . . .

Guy
12-02-2004, 17:37
This will be my first new one . . .

And your point? :munchin

Roguish Lawyer
12-02-2004, 17:48
And your point? :munchin

You make a good point. I've always bought used cars in the past for the reasons you identified.

Guy
12-02-2004, 18:07
You make a good point. I've always bought used cars in the past for the reasons you identified.

If they come up with another way to "TAX" me for things, I have no clue on...I'll be out of this state by the end of next year!

Everything that I get into, that is different...is NEW to me. :eek:

I'm getting a pick-up truck on my next purchase, that way I can carry things that I need. No wonder the "Mi Amigos" are busting you CA people ass out here...fuckers never heard of manual labor...lmao! :D

RAT
12-03-2004, 08:58
RL,

MY .002.

Are you set on a BMW? If so, like I did with my car get a used with the BMW guarantee. I am not into buying new off the lot any more. 2000 740i Sport is very cool. My father has on and it is very nice and quick.

I am a Porsche guy...

RAT OUT!!! :lifter

Roguish Lawyer
12-03-2004, 11:59
RL,

MY .002.

Are you set on a BMW? If so, like I did with my car get a used with the BMW guarantee. I am not into buying new off the lot any more. 2000 740i Sport is very cool. My father has on and it is very nice and quick.

I am a Porsche guy...

RAT OUT!!! :lifter

That's how I got my current one -- it had been driven by the manager of the dealership and had only 14,000 miles when I got it. You definitely get value doing it that way.

But I think I'm going to try a new one this time, just to see if it's worth it.

I need a sedan, so Porsche is out unless I am missing something.

RAT
12-03-2004, 14:16
But I think I'm going to try a new one this time, just to see if it's worth it.

BTDT.. I am upside down on the car now. FYI...

Good luck.

RAT OUT!!!

myclearcreek
12-03-2004, 15:02
Looking for donations to buy gas for my 1990 F-150 with 275,000 miles.

After my 1992 F-350 died at 275K, I traded it to a mechanic for his '95 Beretta Z26. I went from 20mpg to 31mpg and diesel to gas. Now that diesel is higher than gas, it has saved in a big way at the pump over the last few months. I no longer have an auto to haul things with, though, and that bites. :boohoo

Waiting for pics of RL's new car. :munchin

ghuinness
12-03-2004, 17:15
How about the Audi S6, 6 speed manual? Same family as Porsche.

Roguish Lawyer
06-19-2007, 17:50
Well I never did go get a new car. I've recently decided to go in a different direction. This is what I'm close to pulling the trigger on (although I won't get the 22 inch wheels). Anyone have one or have any views on it? :munchin

The Reaper
06-19-2007, 18:09
Well I never did go get a new car. I've recently decided to go in a different direction. This is what I'm close to pulling the trigger on (although I won't get the 22 inch wheels). Anyone have one or have any views on it? :munchin

Pimp yo' ride, Counsel?

I figured you for an M5 man.

TR

echoes
06-19-2007, 18:19

RL--You are a PIMP! :D

Just remember, Don't drive a porsche! (I have my reasons for stating as much...)
:lifter

Good Luck!

Holly

Sacamuelas
06-19-2007, 18:37
or you could go a different route. My partner in my office just bought a new jet black Jaguar XKR. http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/jaguar_xkr.asp
It is a blast to drive.

Roguish Lawyer
06-19-2007, 18:46
I am getting to the point where I have too much hockey/fishing/shooting/camping gear to try to carry in a sedan, so I'm going to get a truck. I test-drove the Escalade and the GMC Sierra with the huge cab on Sunday and really liked the Escalade. I'm going to drive a few others to be sure (the Dodge/Ford/Hummer SUV/Truck hybrids), but my mind is close to made up already.

As for the Pimp comments, did anyone read the part about NOT getting the 22" wheels? :rolleyes:

The Reaper
06-19-2007, 19:34
I am getting to the point where I have too much hockey/fishing/shooting/camping gear to try to carry in a sedan, so I'm going to get a truck. I test-drove the Escalade and the GMC Sierra with the huge cab on Sunday and really liked the Escalade. I'm going to drive a few others to be sure (the Dodge/Ford/Hummer SUV/Truck hybrids), but my mind is close to made up already.

As for the Pimp comments, did anyone read the part about NOT getting the 22" wheels? :rolleyes:

Why not the Suburban?

TR

jatx
06-19-2007, 19:45
I drive a Range Rover and have enjoyed it quite a bit. For a long time, no other SUV's interior or ride came close to matching it. However, the new Escalades are beautiful, every bit as nice as my Rangie. If I were buying again today, I would consider it (but not the truck version).

Go for it! :lifter

jatx
06-19-2007, 19:52
or you could go a different route. My partner in my office just bought a new jet black Jaguar XKR. http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/jaguar_xkr.asp
It is a blast to drive.

I used to have one of these (a coupe) in British Racing Green. It was a lot of fun, and the valets always parked it right out front. The car is just sexy.

Perhaps Catwoman could get the Escalade and you the Landspeeder? :munchin

jbour13
06-19-2007, 20:38
RL, I just bought a 2007 GMC Sierra Crew Cab Z71 and love it. It's the third one that I've owned and they keep getting better. I drove it from NC to AZ and averaged about 19 MPG the whole trip on regular unleaded running about 75 all the way. City Miles are a bit rough as you would expect for a large truck. I sold my 2004 because it had 67,000 miles on it and I wanted a new one anyway.

The new thing with GMC is the variable valve timing. If I cruise in the 45 to 65 range and the ground is fairly flat it kicks down to 4 cylinders and your MPG's go to around 25 MPG.

I have no complaints about it other than no company makes dual exhaust for it cheaply. Since it kicks down to 4 cylinders, the pressures change on the exhaust.

I put an A.R.E. Hardcover on the back and it has plenty of room for gear, guns, and supplies. My oldest brother is 6'2" and his wife is 6'1", they sit comfortably in the back and have plenty of room to lounge.

Good options on the new body style are back-up sensors if you want them, On-Star is now standard, and of course XM. From the drivers seat you can see really well. I drove a friends 07 Ram and could have sworn I ran over a Honda. Fords have a huge blind spot too, but are pretty good from what I've seen from family that own them. I grew up on the farm and so far I haven't seen one major problem from any of the big 3 manufacturers, and they all have been abused.

Good hunting and hope you find a new one you enjoy.

Gypsy
06-19-2007, 20:49
My cousin has an Escalade, she loves it. I do too, love riding around or driving it...smooth ride, lots o' storage as well.

ktek01
06-19-2007, 21:22
I'm going to drive a few others to be sure (the Dodge/Ford/Hummer SUV/Truck hybrids), but my mind is close to made up already.

Forget the Dodge, you wont like them, too heavy and sluggish feeling, even with the Hemi. They still use a torsion bar front suspension, the Aspen is just a dressed up Chrysler Durango. Working at a Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge dealership now and the only SUV I like on our lot is the Grand Cherokee. Doesnt feel nearly as heavy and sluggish as most SUVs, and not too big either. The SRT8 is great if you dont plan on towing anything and somebody else is picking up the tab for gas. The SRT8 GC doesnt get hit with the gas guzzler tax either, like the cars do for over $2k.

vsvo
06-19-2007, 22:21
My mom drives a 2005 Escalade. The lease is coming up, and she will be getting one of the newer redesigned ones. The new ones are beautiful. I used to tease her that it was a glorified Tahoe, but it really is more (e.g., bigger engine, nicer interior, marginally better customer service, etc.) The leather on the back seats is not holding up well, but she hauls around three grandkids, so it's a wonder the interior even remotely resembles the condition it was in at the showroom.

You do not need dubs to pimp it out. My mom insisted on adding this aftermarket waterfall grill. I didn't even know she watched rap videos. While hideously expensive, I must admit it looks kind of nice. I will snap a pic tomorrow when I see her.

My dad just bought a 2007 M-B GL450, and it is one sweet ride. I tried to talk him into the CDI diesel engine, but he wasn't having it. I say give it a look-see; however, it appears you are going domestic. But it is assembled in Alabama!

dmgedgoods
06-19-2007, 22:41
My grandma drives one of the Escalade pickups. She likes it. She is also a grandma. I would recommend the new Tundra, or if you don't like Americanese trucks, go with a Tahoe or Suburban. My grandfather had a Denali, and it was damn nice. Now he drives a 700 series BMW, which is quite the machine. On another note, even my grandma complains that the bed does not afford enough space. They just left for Oregon last week, and had a bear of a time packing the "truck".
Just my .02 cents...

82ndtrooper
06-19-2007, 23:19
RL:

I like the Escalade, but around here it seems to be "Homeboy" vehicle with the ever so large spinning wheels and dark tinted windows. :rolleyes:

I'm now on my third Audi. First was an used Audi A8 that I purchased from the founder and owner of the last firm that I was employed at. I then decided on BMW 525 and hated it in winter months due it's rear wheel drive. I then opted for another Audi but in the A4 series in Black. That car was down right a race car with the added benefit of the "Quatro" technology and the wonderful sound system made by BOSE.

I'm now driving the 2005 Audi S4 that is flat out the best car that I have ever owned. It's sleek lookng, with manual 6 speed transmission, great leather, hand controls for the stereo, chromed interior paneling and 18" factory's with Perelli's that hug the road tight in cornering. I've not driven another car like this one. 4.2 Liter engine that delivers all the punch and speed you'd ever want to get out of the way. Oh yeah, and the cup holders actually hold your hot cup of coffee so you dont have to sue McDonalds for major skin burns.:cool:

Unless your wanting the room of an SUV type vehicle, I cannot see an attorney driving anything less than Mercedes, Audi, BMW or maybe if your really into the high end income, then a Porsche. :p

Radar
06-20-2007, 11:04
I go with the Chevy silverado 2500 Crew Cab. Reason, all the hunting and fishing and camping gear.

Also has the towing power I need for the wife's camper or the boat or motorcycle trailer.

Can carry passengers as well.

The Escalade, I looked at but not too much functional bang for my buck.

The Reaper
06-20-2007, 11:42
Its not just me that thinks this is a King Pimp ride, even without the dubs.

Found this review from Forbes.

http://www.forbesautos.com/reviews/2006/cadillac/escalade/feature.html

TR

2006 Cadillac Escalade Test Drives
Escalating The Bling Factor

With only a few tweaks for 2006, the new Cadillac Escalade awaits a redesign. In the meantime, it remains one of the most Superfly rides around.

Cadillac's Escalade, the godfather of pimp-mobiles, struts into 2005 with minor changes before a complete redesign in 2006.

While the 2006 base Escalade and extended ESV model continue unchanged for 2006, the EXT version, which has a small cargo bed, adds an optional power sliding cover for the pickup bed that opens and closes at the touch of a button and replaces the manual one. Also new for the EXT (but debuting later in the model year) is a movable load floor that slides aft to make loading cargo easier.

A redesigned Escalade is expected for the 2007 model year.

Cadillac introduced the full-size Escalade for the 1999 model year, along with its GMC sibling, the Yukon Denali. Both are based on the Chevrolet Tahoe. The Escalade quickly became a bestseller for Cadillac and attracted a younger clientele that includes high-profile athletes and musicians — the Escalade name itself has been used in hip-hop music lyrics, song titles and even groups' names. The average Escalade buyer is 50 years old, which is about 12 years younger than the typical Cadillac owner, reports the manufacturer.

The Escalade line includes an extended version, the ESV, which is based on the Chevrolet Suburban ($36,965). The ESV is also available in an ultra-posh Platinum Edition that includes such top-shelf amenities as heated and cooled cup holders, air-conditioned seats and what the young urban crowd refers to as "dubs" — 20-inch chrome wheels. (See our 2005 ESV photo gallery.)

The EXT is another Escalade version that shares platforms with the Chevrolet Avalanche. It's basically a tricked-out, full-size crew cab pickup with a flat-folding rear seat and front cargo-bed wall that can be adjusted to expand cargo capacity (just like on the Avalanche). Each version in the Escalade line offers comparable performance to its GMC and Chevy counterparts, but with a softer ride, more amenities and amped-up attitude.

The attitude begins with a mammoth front grille and boxy monochrome exterior treatment that's refreshingly devoid of chrome trim. The interior is equally understated, with white-faced gauges set against an ebony background on the dashboard, and a Bulgari-designed analog clock atop the center console. Its standard power-heated front seats are plush yet tastefully appointed. The base and ESV models include a standard third-row seat.

For its massive size and weight (see our specs page), the Escalade certainly doesn't lack for acceleration. Its powerful 6-liter V8 engine generates 345 horsepower and 380 pound-feet of torque. The engine is mated to a sturdy four-speed automatic transmission, one gear short of the competition. Base models offer a choice of rear- and four-wheel-drive. The latter comes standard on the ESV and EXT.

Four-wheel disc antilock brakes, traction control and GM's StabiliTrak stability control system are standard on all Escalades, along with dual-stage front and side-impact airbags. A high-tech road-sensing suspension soaks up potholes and provides a pliant ride and respectable handling for a full-size SUV.

The Escalade is loaded with "bling bling," including such amenities as automatic tri-zone air-conditioning, a Bose audio system with a CD changer and XM satellite radio, rear park assist, power adjustable pedals and the OnStar communications/safety system. A DVD entertainment system, power sunroof and satellite navigation system are optional. (See our Standard Equipment and Specs page and Optional Equipment page for more information.)

Is the Escalade for You?

Buy This Vehicle

If You like big and bold SUVs that really make a statement; you need a large SUV to tow a trailer and/or carry seven passengers and want something more luxurious than a Suburban or Yukon.

Keep Looking

If You balk at spending upwards of $80 on a single tank of gas, only to watch it burn away at a rate of one gallon every 12 miles; you have a small garage; you prefer smaller, more nimble vehicles.

Who Fits?

Five large passengers will find that all versions of the Escalade offer ample interior room; the third-row seat is a tight squeeze in the base version, so choose the ESV version if you need space for seven adults. While there's no way around the sheer size of this behemoth, its adjustable seats, pedals and steering wheel should accommodate a variety of driver sizes.

Options Worth Splurging On

The rear-seat entertainment system ($1,295) can keep your posse occupied over longer rides, while the touch-screen satellite navigation system ($2,145) will ensure you get to where you're going most efficiently. (See our Optional Equipment page.)

Closest Competitors GMC Yukon Denali
Chevrolet Suburban
Chevrolet Tahoe
Hummer H2
Infiniti QX56
Lexus LX 470
Lincoln Navigator

Roguish Lawyer
06-20-2007, 11:51
The 2007 engine is 403 hp and provides the acceleration I require. It appears to be the key edge over other vehicles I am looking at.

The Reaper
06-20-2007, 12:11
The 2007 engine...provides the acceleration I require.

Is there some special mission from God that you are questing?

Seriously, I rode to SHOT a few years back with a buddy who had a GMC Suburban with the 6.0 liter engine and the 4.11 gears. It was fast and got decent highway mileage. It was black and judging from the reaction to it, must have looked a lot like a certain Fed LE vehicle.:D

Has GM put a diesel back into the SUV line yet? A good oil burner with a Banks Power Pack could make some excellent power as well as hauling a ton of gear and getting decent fuel mileage doing it.

Just a thought.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
06-20-2007, 12:51
Is there some special mission from God that you are questing?

Yes, Sir, I am on such a mission. :lifter :D

jatx
06-20-2007, 13:01

If it's acceleration you're after, I'd advise against a Range Rover. :D

The Reaper
06-20-2007, 13:39

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!

TR

vsvo
06-20-2007, 14:02
Has GM put a diesel back into the SUV line yet? A good oil burner with a Banks Power Pack could make some excellent power as well as hauling a ton of gear and getting decent fuel mileage doing it.

Just a thought.

TR
No, Sir, not yet. Slated for 2008 or whereabouts. I do like your line of thinking though. I am eagerly anticipating the introduction of a light duty diesel. Once that happens, I will be all over the Silverado/Tahoe. If they decide to squirt urea into the exhaust stream, RL can even get one in Kali.

Here's a picture of the grill on my mom's Escalade. Y'all can decide if it's pimp, or simply, according to my mom, the must-have accessory.

Roguish Lawyer
06-20-2007, 14:46
Don't worry, I'll get some gold teeth and a big-ass medallion to go with the car. :p

The Reaper
06-20-2007, 14:51
Don't worry, I'll get some gold teeth and a big-ass medallion to go with the car. :p

Does Catwoman know what you are up to, playa'? :D

TR

82ndtrooper
06-20-2007, 15:31

Don't forget ya "Glock 40" and yo favorite "50 Cent" CD

"We regulators and we damn good too. Gotta be good with the steel if ya know what I mean" :cool:

Roguish Lawyer
06-20-2007, 16:35
Does Catwoman know what you are up to, playa'? :D

TR

Yes, and she's not so happy about it. :D

Kyobanim
06-20-2007, 17:47
Considering where you live, I'm surprised you're not looking for one of these babies. . .

Books
06-20-2007, 18:59
While no one would say that it's as bling as a Caddy, I think a Subaru Outback Wagon would give you good service for mileage, performance (on and off road), and storage for gear.

It might look odd with spinners though. . .

Books

ktek01
06-20-2007, 19:05
The 2007 engine is 403 hp and provides the acceleration I require. It appears to be the key edge over other vehicles I am looking at.

Do yourself a favor, test drive the Grand Cherokee SRT8. 420 HP and less weight, it will throw you back in the seat hard when you mash the go pedal.
Starts at $40k and comes in just under $47k MSRP with every single option.

0-60 4.6 seconds

1/4 mile 13.2 seconds @ 104 MPH

.85g lateral accel

60-0 132 feet

top speed 155 MPH

vsvo
06-20-2007, 22:40
We had a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V8. Nice truck, but a couple of years into its time with the family, a mysterious quirk appeared. Whenever we drove it over a deep puddle, the engine would die, right there on the spot. After about 15 minutes, it would crank again and fire up normally. Took it to the dealer numerous times, left it with them for several days each time. They could not find a problem, they could not even reproduce the complaint. Jeep used to run a TV commercial where a Grand Cherokee would drive into a pit of quicksand, go under, and emerge from the other side. Every time I saw that damn commercial I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

I eventually got it as a hand-me-down from my parents, and took it with me to Charlotte. After I started dating my wife and epic road trips began to happen with alarming regularity, I got the wonderful idea that she should keep my Jeep, and I would take her fuel-sipping Honda with me back and forth to NC. Of course, I reminded her about the peculiar hazards posed by a deep puddle directly in the path of the truck. "Fine, whatever, I understand."

One day, she called me at work, very upset. DC was getting soaked with torrential rains, and she had just returned home. She asked me did I know she made it on the radio that day, actually she was the star of the afternoon traffic report.

There is a disabled Jeep Grand Cherokee with its blinkers on in the right center lane of the Inner Loop between exits XXX and XXX. Stay to the left and far right lane to get by. Traffic has backed up two miles behind the disabled vehicle.

There was a big puddle on the Beltway, and she could not avoid it safely at speed. The engine died, and she coasted to a stop. She sat there and listened to the traffic babe describing her on the radio, as people drove around the Jeep, screaming, flipping her the bird, and sending other such pleasantries. She chewed my ass over the phone for leaving her with such a POS to drive.

This happened almost exactly ten years ago, but apparently she is still bitter. The other day I mentioned to her that the Grand Cherokee was now available with the Mercedes common rail diesel engine. Since we are interested in a diesel truck, I thought it would be something we should look at. She shouted me down before I could finish the thought.

vsvo
06-22-2007, 11:02
Has GM put a diesel back into the SUV line yet?
TR
Just an update. GM announced last week (http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/gmnews/viewpressreldetail.do?domain=2&docid=37112) a 4.5L turbo-diesel V-8, with a minimum 310 hp and 520 lb-ft of torque, slated for sometime after 2009.

Dodge will be rolling out a new Cummins engine (http://www.cummins.com/cmi/content.jsp?siteId=1&langId=1033&dataId=1118&newsInfo=true&menuId=4) for the Dodge Ram no later than 2010.

At one point, AutoWeek magazine reported (http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061011/FREE/61009011&SearchID=73284944149586) that Ford would shoehorn a Land Rover diesel engine into the F-150 and send it first out of the gate in the segment. Now that Land Rover and Jag-u-ahh are on the block, and Ford and Navistar are suing each other over the Powerstroke, I wonder if Ford's plans have changed.

Guy
06-22-2007, 17:42
Yes, and she's not so happy about it. :DA mid-life crisis or you're providing entirely too much "legal" advice/representation too the "rap" stars.:eek: :D

You ever watch that show SHARK?:p

Stay safe.

Roguish Lawyer
11-24-2007, 16:30

I drove it home today. I am freakin GIDDY! Bling bling! LOL

echoes
11-24-2007, 16:57
Jack Moroney

RL,
hehehe :cool:

Congradulations!!!

Holly

dmgedgoods
11-24-2007, 17:11
Nothing like a new car, eh? The closest I have had to being giddy like a school girl recently is when I received a CRK knife recently (of Mr. Harsey's design, of course). :D

The Reaper
11-24-2007, 17:14
I drove it home today. I am freakin GIDDY! Bling bling! LOL

You are the Mac Daddy.

TR

QRQ 30
11-24-2007, 17:16
I always liked the Toyota Land Cruiser Wagon. The more dents and scratches the better it looked. ;)

HOLLiS
11-24-2007, 18:09
I like my excursion, definitely has a pair. It is a diesel great combo of fuel economy and power and room to spare.

Warrior-Mentor
11-24-2007, 18:21

I like the way you think!

LongWire
11-24-2007, 19:06
A friend just bought the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT..........Very Nice!!!!!

http://www.drivesrt.com/en/jeep_grand_cherokee/index.html

CosaNostraUSMC
11-24-2007, 20:18
RL,

I was gonna recommend what I got. Benz G55 AMG.

Not too small, not too big. Benz plush inside. All business outside.
5.5 liter Supercharged V-8 to the tune of 469 horses/516 lb-ft torque = 0-60mph in 5.6

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suv/112_0409_2005_mercedes_benz_g55_amg

It's more convenient to have a truck of sorts (SUV). Like you, I can't fit my "lifestyle" in the trunk of a sedan or the back seat. I wanted somehting rugged but a bit flash.

My G class is still the workhorse of the family driveway, great off road, but not out of place at the valet.

You got yourself 1 sweet ride though. Cadillac creased. NICE!