PDA

View Full Version : Ares Armor files TRO against BATFE

steel_eel
03-14-2014, 11:04
http://aresarmor.com/store/NewsArticle/Temporary_Restraining_Order_Against_BATFE

Long story short, the BATFE raided a separate shop that makes 80% polymer lowers because of some incorrect information that determined them to be considered "firearms". Ares makes 80% poly lowers and was also threatened with a raid. BATFE wanted Ares to turn over list of customers who purchased the poly lowers and Ares told the feds to take a walk and Ares filed a temporary restraining order against the BATFE.

I've been a fan/patron of Ares, but these actions have secured me as a lifetime customer.

Might also add that they had a big old billboard that has an AR-15 that says "No serial number. No registration. Legal" underneath it, in National City, CA.
Probably not related but who knows these days.

hammerstamp
03-16-2014, 08:47
It appears ATF went to the judge that had issued the temporary restraining order and received a clarification of the TRO which gave ATF a green light to raid Ares Armor, which they did on the 14th. I'm assuming they grabbed the entire client list in that raid which they will copy and keep no matter the outcome of this case.

More here
http://weaselzippers.us/179529-breaking-ares-armor-raided-by-atf-for-customer-files-despite-restraining-order-from-judge/

And here
http://www.scribd.com/doc/212508154/Order-Clarifying-TRO-Ares-Armor

JJ_BPK
03-16-2014, 09:14
I've been a fan/patron of Ares, but these actions have secured me as a lifetime customer.

I think you are now on the ATF fan list as a lifetime customer..

:munchin

The Reaper
03-16-2014, 09:27
I think you are now on the ATF fan list as a lifetime customer..

The NSA already knew that.

TR

orion5
03-16-2014, 10:09
Good thread going at calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=907095) with suggestions on how customers who bought the '80%' products should respond.

Sdiver
03-16-2014, 20:34
Some more video and still pictures of the raid.

http://www.100percentfedup.com/index.php/news/990-more-video-and-pics-from-atf-raid-on-ares-armor

DDD
03-16-2014, 21:04
Happened to be in the area so stopped in the store today. I didn't buy one but in the 15 minutes I was there 2 went out the door. Apparently the first customer was an LEO:p

futureSOF
03-17-2014, 13:47
Possible reasoning behind the raid

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/03/foghorn/ares-armor-search-warrant-sheds-light-reason-atf-raid/

PSM
03-18-2014, 12:24
On her radio show yesterday, Dana Loesch pointed out the the Feds see that a potential gun part is a rifle, but a fetus is not a baby.

Pat

Streck-Fu
03-18-2014, 12:33
From some references, I am reading that Ares did not get their own LoD choosing to rely on the similarity to other products that did go through the determination process.

Streck-Fu
03-18-2014, 12:45
Lets face it. The reason people are buying 80% complete lowers is so they can skirt around the law then make a complete lower themselves without serial# etc. As far as I know that is illegal.

While some are very well doing that, an individual may also file a Form 1 declaring that they have made a firearm which is not illegal.

I am going to edit to add that the ATF states that an individual may make a firearm for personal use:

9. May I lawfully make a firearm for my own personal use, provided it is not being made for resale?
Firearms may be lawfully made by persons who do not hold a manufacturer’s license under the GCA provided they are not for sale or distribution and the maker is not prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from assembling a non-sporting semiautomatic rifle or shotgun from 10 or more imported parts, as set forth in regulations in 27 C.F.R. 478.39. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and advance approval by ATF. An application to make a machinegun will not be approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for the official use of a Federal, State, or local government agency (18 U.S.C.§ 922(o),(r); 26 U.S.C. § 5822; 27 C.F.R. §§ 478.39, 479.62, and 479.105).

Lan
03-18-2014, 12:51
Why not just buy a lower? It is legal and no gray area crap to get around and yes you can buy a stripped lower in California.

People in California are buying 80%er's because they cannot buy a new stripped lower without a bullet button. Ain't nobody got time for a bullet button!

The Reaper
03-18-2014, 13:12
Lets face it. The reason people are buying 80% complete lowers is so they can skirt around the law then make a complete lower themselves without serial# etc. As far as I know that is illegal. While I am a big 2nd amendment supporter and believe class II and III should not be restricted etc etc the reality is most of the people buying the lowers are going to make them into a lower illegally. Why not just buy a lower? It is legal and no gray area crap to get around and yes you can buy a stripped lower in California.

Not true.

Completing an 80% receiver yourself for your own use is completely legal, as is building an otherwise compliant weapon from scratch.

Kali is raiding people's home and confiscating weapons already. I am not sure I would want to buy a lower there under those conditions, even if I legally could.

My understanding is that they were selling quite a few 80% receivers to a vendor who was performing some of the machining operations for the customers, which IS illegal.

TR

SF_BHT
03-18-2014, 13:35
Not true.

Completing an 80% receiver yourself for your own use is completely legal, as is building an otherwise compliant weapon from scratch.

Kali is raiding people's home and confiscating weapons already. I am not sure I would want to buy a lower there under those conditions, even if I legally could.

My understanding is that they were selling quite a few 80% receivers to a vendor who was performing some of the machining operations for the customers, which IS illegal.

TR

TR

You are correct.

I just had lunch with the RAC of ATF here today (Good Guy) and we were discussing this situation. The problem was how some people were handling the 80%'s they were selling. ATF has no problem with you buying a chunk of metal at 80% they just have a problem with the same company helping or just doing the final 20% for you. I as many are not big fans of ATF's job but I understand their responsibility and mandate. At times it boils down to the Agents and supervisors mind set and some do go more energetic after things when they did not need to. Running a finish machine shop in the back room or at another site is over the line and they hit them.

Just my 2cents

MR2
03-18-2014, 18:45
Ahh that I did not know. Do you need to put on a serial number as well or not since it is home made?

You do not have to place a S/N on it. Some advise that you should, especially if you have more than one of the same type.

I'm intending to place the build date followed by a P (Pistol), a C (Carbine), and R (Rifle) as a S/N for my builds. And store the pistol well away from the Carbine and Rifle. Mix up the pistol upper with a stocked lower and you have an unauthorized/untaxed SBR = Felony!