PDA

View Full Version : National Guard going SFAS

Big Chief
12-01-2004, 13:30
Hello,

I am a guard guy planning on hitting SFAS in 05. Would anyone be willing to share what their impressions were of Guard guys going through Selection with active guys? What strengths do guard soldiers have and what weaknesses (if any :D ) have you seen?

Appreciate the comments. :munchin

jdw
12-06-2004, 11:08
Okay, I am in the ARNG as well. I too am seeking a shot at Selection but rather in 2006.

An almost precise answer to your first question can be found at Getfitnow.com (http://www.getfitnow.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=76). Scroll down untill you find post titles containing "Cortez". Then do a search for "Cortez" and "jonv" for additional ARMY and ARNG SF information.

I hope this helps and good luck to you.

ssgglover
01-02-2005, 09:28
First of all the difference isnt known unless your asking lots of questions, your all on equal playing fields....at least in this phase. no rank, no cool badges, and patches, just a number.
Pay attention during land navigation classes, you might learn something you didnt know before, and ask questions, lots of questions, learn before you step out in the woods...besides that tactics do not matter there for this phase of training.
Your weakness could lie in your intestinal fortitude, or what I like to call the feet. Dont take care of your feet and it might suck alot more....besides that just dont quit...kind of easy thing not to do...dont. :)

scubasam
01-02-2005, 11:11
Ahh.. Glover.. Welcome man! Hope you're having a Happy New Year!

Jack Moroney (RIP)
01-02-2005, 12:29
First of all the difference isnt known unless your asking lots of questions, your all on equal playing fields....at least in this phase. no rank, no cool badges, and patches, just a number.
Pay attention during land navigation classes, you might learn something you didnt know before, and ask questions, lots of questions, learn before you step out in the woods...besides that tactics do not matter there for this phase of training.
Your weakness could lie in your intestinal fortitude, or what I like to call the feet. Dont take care of your feet and it might suck alot more....besides that just dont quit...kind of easy thing not to do...dont. :)

Good advice. Having been involved with numerous SFAS classes the only difference between anyone had to do with attitude, preparation, desire, following instructions and attention to detail. It is basically all up to you. Good luck.

Jack Moroney

Dustin03
02-22-2005, 23:36
you guys wouldnt happen to know anything about prior service guys from another branch going into the guard having to do a "blue to green" program simular to what the active duty side is required do ya? suppose i'll stop by the recruiter's office soon if i can find one around here.

Leozinho
02-23-2005, 21:35
If you were somehow able to identify who's NG and who is active at Selection, you might see some differences. Some (if not all) Guard units run mini-versions of selection on drill weekends for the "non-qualified personnel", and only send to SFAS those candidates that are thought to have a good chance at being selected. To be sure, some Guard guys have shown up at Selection and immediately failed the PT test, but I'd wager that happens more often with active duty guys.

I'm referring to prior-service Guard guys. REP-63s like myself follow a pipeline similar to 18x-rays, and our home units don't have to sign off on us going to Selection.

Dustin03
02-24-2005, 15:28
our guys have also been going with their engineering tape pre-sewn on. maybe you can tell that way.

Archangel
02-24-2005, 16:00
To be sure, some Guard guys have shown up at Selection and immediately failed the PT test, but I'd wager that happens more often with active duty guys.

Huh? They did this on purpose? :confused:

Leozinho
02-25-2005, 21:47
Huh? They did this on purpose? :confused:

No, I don't mean they purposely failed the PT test. I mean they came to selection out of shape and unable to pass the PT test despite their best efforts.

But usually the home unit won't send a soldier to SFAS unless the unit is reasonably confident about his chances. I know active duty guys have to pass a pt test with the SF in-service recruiter when putting in a packet for SFAS, but still more than a few of them will fail the test once they get to Selection.

It's not that Guard soldiers are more squared away than Active duty soldiers, just that Guard guys go through a screening process before getting there. The ones that don't look like they will pass the muster at SFAS languish in the unit. They may stay there a while, never getting a Selection date. Eventually they leave for another unit. Or are told to leave.

504PIR
02-26-2005, 17:39
If you are a NG, take advantage of SOPC. It was started for the NG orginally.

The Reaper
02-26-2005, 18:13
If you are a NG, take advantage of SOPC. It was started for the NG orginally.

Not really.

TR