PDA

View Full Version : Active Duty Officer to SF NCO?

chemo
02-25-2014, 19:40
Gentlemen,

I'm currently an active duty army officer with about seven years of experience. I've been thinking about applying for SFAS as an NCO but, i don't know the process. I've asked both the SF recruiting station here in washington and HRC but they were not clear on the path to take, since this is something (apparently) unheard of.

I was wondering if anyone here knows of a situation similar to mine.

My motivation to do this revolves around the fact that come retirement, i know i will regret not trying. I've done command (and it was great) but after command (major and above) is totally different. I'd like to continue working with Soldiers, work with communications equipment (didn't get to do much of that as an LT or even in the Signal Corps ingeneral), and lastly, i want my kids to be proud of me (may sound shallow but its true).

I've searched this site, and there are some threads that come close, but most are pre-commissioning discussions. I'm already commissioned, i know the risk (not qualifying).

Any advice is appreciated.

Max_Tab
02-25-2014, 19:49
I knew a guy who was a commissioned officer, got out, joined the legion, did his time came back enlisted and went SF. It can be done. Knew 2 other SF Cpts, who after finishing their team time, got out and joined the guard as Warrants.

chemo
02-25-2014, 20:06
thank you for your reply. What do you mean when you say the "legion"?

Max_Tab
02-25-2014, 20:11
Sorry, the French Foriegn Legion. He was young and looking for adventure.

chemo
02-25-2014, 21:35
No worries. FFL huh? I'v read a bit about them. Odd bunch.....but apparently very good.

Eagle5US
02-26-2014, 08:47
Go through your branch to resign your commission and then "enlist" in order to go through the 18 series pipeline.

The SF Recruiters at Bragg should be able to help you with this process.

Further, in order to ensure your highest chance of not getting screwed...your detailer at HRC should be able to walk down the hall and work with the SF folks so they are both on the same page as to getting you from point A to point B.

Your FIRST step, rior to anything else, would be to get yourself an SF Physical to make sure there are no issues there. Unfortunately, you will fall primarily under Chapter 2 (initial entry) as referenced by Chapter 5 (Specialty Physicals for initial entry into the program) versus RETENTION in the service.

Meaning, you can have things once you are in that are no big deal (i.e. pilots can wear glasses), but those same things will prevent you from getting in (i.e. pilots must not need glasses to attend flight school).
Hope this helps and good luck. Plan well for your pay cut.:lifter

chemo
02-26-2014, 10:39
Eagle5US. Thanks for the advice. I did think about the pay cut, but, seeing as im very close to being debt free (with the exception of a mortgage), i don't think my family's quality of life will diminish. I think if you are in the military, you have a good chance of being virtually debt free if you know how to manage your money.

Thanks again.l

pjbluetogreen
02-27-2014, 14:36
My guard unit has one guy in the course that resigned his commission to go to SFAS and is PCSing to the Q in the next couple months. Also one of the guys that I am in the course with and went to SFAS with resigned his as well. He is CO guard with 5/19, he is an interesting story he came to SFAS as a Capt and resigned after be selected. there are ways to do it and the guard may be a good options. I know of one other that was a USAF Academy grad and commissioned in the AF then resigned his to come SF in 2004 so good luck.

chemo
02-27-2014, 16:00
PJbluetogreen, that's exactly what i envisioned doing (going to SFAS and resigning if i got picked up). I would very much like to know how this CPT did to accomplish that.

BTW, i'm assuming you earned your scarlet beret. Why change over for the green? I've read up on the pipeline you guys go through....brutal.