PDA

View Full Version : My Springfield is a mess

dollarbill
02-25-2014, 13:33
About a year ago my house was broken into and my Springfield Xd 40 was stolen along with the wifes jewelry. Yesterday I received a call from the local PD and it was recovered. Problem is the thug put it to his head and pulled the trigger. Detective says it a real mess but if I want it,come on down. Other than complet disassemble and good scrubbing with solvent is there anything else that would be better for cleaning it up. Plan is to clean it up and trade it for something else as the Xd has already been replaced and I really don't need two. Thanks

The Reaper
02-25-2014, 13:48
About a year ago my house was broken into and my Springfield Xd 40 was stolen along with the wifes jewelry. Yesterday I received a call from the local PD and it was recovered. Problem is the thug put it to his head and pulled the trigger. Detective says it a real mess but if I want it,come on down. Other than complet disassemble and good scrubbing with solvent is there anything else that would be better for cleaning it up. Plan is to clean it up and trade it for something else as the Xd has already been replaced and I really don't need two. Thanks

I cleaned up a S&W Model 36 revolver that had been used the same way.

Looked and worked fine once I was done.

Easiest way is to clear it, strip it down, and throw it into a parts washer or ultrasonic cleaner.

Cheapest way is a good spraying with a hose, followed by application of a can of carb cleaner and a toothbrush. Best do that outside where the wife or the kids will not see the runoff.

Don't forget to lube everything well when you are done and function test it before you carry it again or sell it.

And these days, I would probably wear gloves, goggles, and a mask when cleaning it.

HTH.

TR

dollarbill
02-25-2014, 15:28
Thanks Reaper, I had thought of using carb cleaner. The parts washer is good. I can get my hands on one,just not sure the neighbor would want it used for that. Naturally I would replace the solution. Never hurts to ask. Thanks again

Team Sergeant
02-25-2014, 16:10
At least you know it works well..... :D I would not worry too much about the leftover particles, unless it's fresh nothing is still alive. If you're a bit paranoid just drop it in a bowl of water with a capful of bleach for 1 minute....;)

JJ_BPK
02-25-2014, 16:30
Thanks Reaper, I had thought of using carb cleaner. The parts washer is good. I can get my hands on one,just not sure the neighbor would want it used for that. Naturally I would replace the solution. Never hurts to ask. Thanks again

Everything they said,,

ALSO,, I would get a release from the LEO's in the form of a statement that the pistol is free and clear of any crime investigation. The next time a LGS goes to record it in a sale could boomerang back at you.. Weapons that are recorded as crime evidence get recorded in the FBI(and probable now in NSA, homeland security, CIA, & TSA) and of course in the local state crime data base.

Just a CYA..

JimP
02-25-2014, 17:16
Why WOULD you want to get rid of it..?? It already has one bad-guy to it's credit!! Hold onto that one. :lifter

Ambush Master
02-25-2014, 17:41
The beauty of an Ultrasonic is you can but a plastic bag filled with cleaning solution and parts into it and not contaminate the water or solvent in the tank!!

dollarbill
02-25-2014, 17:41
Why WOULD you want to get rid of it..?? It already has one bad-guy to it's credit!! Hold onto that one. :lifter

Sort of like buying a new car. Looks good,rides good,smells real good. But you just don't know how reliable it is until you get a few trips under it. I'll get it cleaned up and flip that coin then. I had that gun for a long time. It literally went everywhere I went.

dollarbill
02-25-2014, 19:24
Everything they said,,

ALSO,, I would get a release from the LEO's in the form of a statement that the pistol is free and clear of any crime investigation. The next time a LGS goes to record it in a sale could boomerang back at you.. Weapons that are recorded as crime evidence get recorded in the FBI(and probable now in NSA, homeland security, CIA, & TSA) and of course in the local state crime data base.

Just a CYA..

Excellent, honesty have considered that end of it. Just figured get it back ,clean it up and move on. I'm thinking with a statement like that attached to the gun, the value probably just hit rock bottom. Definitely have to think on this. Told PD I would be back in town first week of March. The detective was shocked when I told him I wanted it back. He said in 25 years no one has ever want a gun back that has been involved in a suicide. I guess it would be different if some innocent person or child was involved. But a know thug (as it was put to me.) I want my gun backand now with documentatiion . Thanks.

Peregrino
02-25-2014, 20:17
Did you receive an insurance settlement for the theft? That might also be a complicating factor. Otherwise - a pair of rubber gloves, a suitable brush, and a large pan of hot soapy water to get the big chunks off. Finish with the ultrasonic cleaner - both cycles - the cleaning solution and then the lubricant solution. The lubricant cycle will ensure all moisture is displaced. The nice thing about XDs there's not usually a big rust problem, even following extended abuse.

mark46th
02-25-2014, 21:44
What about Hydrogen Peroxide.? It works great for removing bits of flesh and blood on a baseball bat... Does H2O2 affect metal?

dollarbill
02-26-2014, 06:42
Did you receive an insurance settlement for the theft? That might also be a complicating factor. Otherwise - a pair of rubber gloves, a suitable brush, and a large pan of hot soapy water to get the big chunks off. Finish with the ultrasonic cleaner - both cycles - the cleaning solution and then the lubricant solution. The lubricant cycle will ensure all moisture is displaced. The nice thing about XDs there's not usually a big rust problem, even following extended abuse.

I did file an insurance claim through State Farm. The adjuster said that if it was recovered I could buy it back. The price would be based on the condition. At that time I was hoping it would show up in a pawn shop somewhere. I'm shooting for a pre-cleaning price. No pun intended

Team Sergeant
02-26-2014, 09:20
What about Hydrogen Peroxide.? It works great for removing bits of flesh and blood on a baseball bat... Does H2O2 affect metal?

And carpet! :munchin

Toaster
02-26-2014, 09:31
I did file an insurance claim through State Farm. The adjuster said that if it was recovered I could buy it back. The price would be based on the condition. At that time I was hoping it would show up in a pawn shop somewhere. I'm shooting for a pre-cleaning price. No pun intended

Glad to hear it's recovered...and that society does not have to worry about your

An insurance company should have no interest in firearms, their business is insurance, not resale of property. If you stress the fact of it's ghastly grisly haunted history and lack of knowledge that it was used in other crimes, it should lower the price that they'll buy it for. If your wife has reservations about a haunted pistol being in the house. Do you have a picture that they could see of the uncleaned pistol?

Toaster
02-26-2014, 09:35
Plan is to clean it up and trade it for something else as the Xd has already been replaced and I really don't need two. Thanks

You know someone on the forum might have interest in it...If I shot .40 I'd take it.

dollarbill
02-26-2014, 14:27
Glad to hear it's recovered...and that society does not have to worry about your

An insurance company should have no interest in firearms, their business is insurance, not resale of property. If you stress the fact of it's ghastly grisly haunted history and lack of knowledge that it was used in other crimes, it should lower the price that they'll buy it for. If your wife has reservations about a haunted pistol being in the house. Do you have a picture that they could see of the uncleaned pistol?

No,the wife or myself haven't given the haunted theory any thought. Not really expecting to rub it like a Gennie Bottle and expecting something to appear. On a more serious note, the neighbor said no to his parts washer. It was quickly followed by a hey but after its clean let me know and we'll go shoot. But it did get me thinking. NAPPA has large buckets of carb cleaner with a basket in it. Getting two of them. One to let it soak the other I'm going to the local hobby shop. They have siphon pumps. After scrubbing use the siphon pump to flush it out, catching the fluid in the first bucket. Now my last concern is cleaning the trigger assembly. I've never taken it apart. That may be a gun smith level. Seeing how it's part of the safety mechanisms I need for it to be done right.
Again thanks for your input and help to get going in the right direction.

Team Sergeant
02-26-2014, 14:35
You're killing me.... :rolleyes:

Let it soak in some sort of gun cleaning solution and then get a can of WD-40 and spray the trigger assembly until it's clean. No need to take it apart.

Toaster
02-26-2014, 14:40
Does it really need to be taken apart farther than field stripping? XDs are excellent pistols.

If so, taking it to a gunsmith would be better than taking it apart, losing a piece you can't identify, and bringing it into a gun store in a bag. Besides do you really want to walk into a store, with that "I'm retarded and got out of my depth" look to give the gunsmith a pistol that he has to assemble, without having the benefit of disassembling it? I've been on both sides of the counter for that... Edited to add...I've brought in a "bag gun" and seen them come in... never a gunsmith hand a gun disassembled over...

BTW, I'm jealous that the XD45 stolen from me hasn't returned in the manner yours has...yet...there is still hope...:D

The Reaper
02-26-2014, 14:42
Toaster, do you have some special weapons expertise to share that isn't visible from your profile?

TR

Toaster
02-26-2014, 14:51
Sir,

When I get the time I work at one of the local gunstores.

Profile updated.

JimP
02-26-2014, 15:59
my favorite way of cleaning my work-guns: spray the dogsnot out of it with simple green; run the teef-brush over it and then hose it off with real hot water. Dry - lube - load and go to work.

Dusty
02-26-2014, 16:08
lol Amazing how many responses there are in this thread.

mojaveman
02-26-2014, 18:00
It works great for removing bits of flesh and blood on a baseball bat...

Will you tell us the story over a few beers? :D

Hognose (RIP)
02-27-2014, 01:22
Does H2O2 affect metal?

It's hell on organics, it will oxydize metals and does promote corrosion. At 30% concentration you can etch circuit boards with it!

The base engine of the old German Me163 rocket plane was H2O2 exposed to a silver screen-pack catalyst, yielding H2 + O2 + a shitload of energy. They added hydrazine hydrate (N2H4) to exploit the extra O2 and roughly doubled the thrust of the engine. The Germans had about 70% H202; drugstore stuff is maybe 3%. Satellites use 98% as thrusters.

You can increase concentration of the 3% stuff by heating it to over 100C (keep it well below 150). This can get it to 30% or so, to go higher you need to distill it.

You can rinse it off with regular water. "The solution to pollution is dilution."

Wear all cotton, no leather when working with concentrated peroxide. And an apron. And have a bucket of water standing by.

Divemaster
03-01-2014, 22:46
Get a letter from the PD saying how the previous "owner" used it one last time. I'm sure there is market that will pay a premium for weapons with that sort of provenance.

chance
03-01-2014, 23:45
You could just field strip it, and throw it into a 6 quart pot of water bring it to a boil and you would have a nice soup to enjoy while you reassembling your pistol.:D

dollarbill
03-02-2014, 09:11
You could just field strip it, and throw it into a 6 quart pot of water bring it to a boil and you would have a nice soup to enjoy while you reassembling your pistol.:D

Only if I can get a grilled cheese sandwich with that. :cool:

JoeyB
03-04-2014, 19:23
Actually there is a very big market for guns with documentation of use in a shooting.....

perdurabo
03-10-2014, 11:32
And carpet! :munchin

On a related note: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80-XrFJ-tn0

Edit: Link with better audio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tebBf-fil0&t=15m50s

Five-O
03-10-2014, 13:45
It's a perfect reason to get rid of it and go buy and H&K or Sig.

dollarbill
03-11-2014, 20:31
It's a perfect reason to get rid of it and go buy and H&K or Sig.

Picked it up yesterday, not as bad as I thought. Mostly just blood on the outside. Cleaned it up and sold it today. I was going through Arizona last summer and stopped at the Flying J for some coffee. And there it was. This guy came in with a nickel plated Colt45 with rattlesnake hand grips. Right out for everyone to see. Gotta love Arizona. Ordered one today but with cotton mouth hand grips. Can't wait :)