PDA

View Full Version : Why I love the Olympics

Trapper John
02-13-2014, 14:01
In this age of egregious self promotion in professional and collegiate sport and the meaningless awarding of trophies and awards to our kids for merely participating, I find a refreshing example of inspiration and a life lesson during the Olympics.

So far this year, Shaun White takes the gold medal for sportsmanship, class, and an inspirational (hopefully) life lesson. Expected to win the gold in the half-pipe, Shaun failed to even medal. In the post event interview he handled this with grace and a simple "it wasn't my day". No excuses.

But what really impressed me, was the way in which he genuinely congratulated the gold medalist. Later he smilingly said to one of his teammates - "come here man, I need a hug." No grandstanding, no excuses, just acceptance that some times its not your day and a genuinely warm congratulations to a kid that idolized him.

You are a class act, Shuan White, and a real winner regardless your placement on the final score card. I hope every aspiring athlete saw this the way I did and models their behavior after Shaun White. He's the complete package in victory and more importantly in defeat.

Sine Pari

Snaquebite
02-13-2014, 14:35
I agree.
However, many American athletes could learn a lot from Jamaican Usain Bolt

Usain Bolt Drops Everything to Honor U.S. National Anthem

video and story.
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2012/08/06/class-act-usain-bolt-drops-everything-to-honor-u-s-national-anthem/

PSM
02-13-2014, 16:56
I agree.
However, many American athletes could learn a lot from Jamaican Usain Bolt

video and story.
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2012/08/06/class-act-usain-bolt-drops-everything-to-honor-u-s-national-anthem/

It seems that video has been purged from the internet, Snaque. I found this, though:
http://dailypicksandflicks.com/2012/08/06/usain-bolt-stops-interview-to-honor-u-s-national-anthem-video/

Glad I found it! :lifter

Pat

echoes
02-13-2014, 20:06
In this age of egregious self promotion in professional and collegiate sport and the meaningless awarding of trophies and awards to our kids for merely participating, I find a refreshing example of inspiration and a life lesson during the Olympics.

So far this year, Shaun White takes the gold medal for sportsmanship, class, and an inspirational (hopefully) life lesson. Expected to win the gold in the half-pipe, Shaun failed to even medal. In the post event interview he handled this with grace and a simple "it wasn't my day". No excuses.

But what really impressed me, was the way in which he genuinely congratulated the gold medalist. Later he smilingly said to one of his teammates - "come here man, I need a hug." No grandstanding, no excuses, just acceptance that some times its not your day and a genuinely warm congratulations to a kid that idolized him.

You are a class act, Shuan White, and a real winner regardless your placement on the final score card. I hope every aspiring athlete saw this the way I did and models their behavior after Shaun White. He's the complete package in victory and more importantly in defeat.

Sine Pari

Outstanding indeed Sir!!!:lifter

Thank you for posting this!:) It means a lot to a lot of Folks!

Holly

Utah Bob
02-13-2014, 21:18
White seems to be a pretty decent guy. I wish him well.

Gypsy
02-15-2014, 20:39
I like Shaun White.

Read this the other day, thought it was a class act for the winner to wait at the finish line for this injured skier.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/sports/Peruvian-Skier-Sochi-Broken-Rib-Winner-Waits-at-Finish-Line-245671141.html

When Swiss skier Dario Cologna made it across the finish line of Friday's 15k cross-country race, he could have basked in the glory of his victory. He finished first, notching his second gold medal of the Sochi Games.

Instead, he waited there for nearly 28 minutes when the very last man crossed the line.

In a made-for-TV moment, Peruvian cross-country skier Roberto Carcelen, who competed with two broken ribs, pushed himself over the finish line, where he was greeted by roaring fans and --Cologna.

Adding to the drama of the event, Carcelen had picked up a Peruvian flag along the way and waved it proudly as he finished the course.

He finished dead last with a time of 1 hour, 6 minutes and 28 seconds.

Cologna and Dachhiri Sherpa, the second-to-last place winner from Nepal, hugged the exhausted athlete at the finish line.

"I had to finish it," Carcelen told The Associated Press. "The pain was worth it, I fulfilled a promise to Peru."

Carcelen fractured the ribs during training just 10 days before he was supposed to travel to Sochi for the Games and doctors recommended he sit them out, the AP reported.

The 43-year-old was the first athlete representing Peru to competing in a Winter Games. He made his (and Peru's) Winter Olympic debut at Vancouver, where he competed in the same race in 43 minutes 53.6 seconds.

Two other Peruvians are competing in Sochi: a brother-sister Alpine skiing duo.

Sdiver
02-15-2014, 21:30
Although he plays for St. Louis, this kid is 100% CLASS !!!!

After an epic game between the USA and Russia, with TJ Oshie scoring 4 goals out of six, TJ Oshie became a Hero of the Olympics

T.J. Oshie was hailed as an American hero Saturday after his four shootout goals powered the U.S. Olympic hockey team past Russia in the 2014 Winter Olympics. His Wikipedia bio was even changed— albeit briefly — to reflect this new title.

But, as the St. Louis Blues forward told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Dejan Kovacevic, Oshie does not view himself that way. To him, the nation’s real heroes have nothing to do with hockey.

Just had good talk with America’s newest hero. Only don’t call T.J. Oshie that. “The American heroes are wearing camo. That’s not me.” #USA

Dejan Kovacevic (@Dejan_Kovacevic) February 15, 2014

Team USA, indeed.

NESN

I have watched TJ Oshie come up playing on the St Louis Blues. He is one of the stars on the team and has had some problems for being too much of a partier and missing some practices in the past. But I think he has finally come into his own and is taking his stardom better.

He has become a class act and this just makes me think much better of this young star.

http://www.theminorityreportblog.com...-thats-not-me/

Trapper John
02-16-2014, 07:17
I like Shaun White.

Read this the other day, thought it was a class act for the winner to wait at the finish line for this injured skier.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/sports/Peruvian-Skier-Sochi-Broken-Rib-Winner-Waits-at-Finish-Line-245671141.html

When Swiss skier Dario Cologna made it across the finish line of Friday's 15k cross-country race, he could have basked in the glory of his victory. He finished first, notching his second gold medal of the Sochi Games.

Instead, he waited there for nearly 28 minutes when the very last man crossed the line.

In a made-for-TV moment, Peruvian cross-country skier Roberto Carcelen, who competed with two broken ribs, pushed himself over the finish line, where he was greeted by roaring fans and --Cologna.

Adding to the drama of the event, Carcelen had picked up a Peruvian flag along the way and waved it proudly as he finished the course.

He finished dead last with a time of 1 hour, 6 minutes and 28 seconds.

Cologna and Dachhiri Sherpa, the second-to-last place winner from Nepal, hugged the exhausted athlete at the finish line.

"I had to finish it," Carcelen told The Associated Press. "The pain was worth it, I fulfilled a promise to Peru."

Carcelen fractured the ribs during training just 10 days before he was supposed to travel to Sochi for the Games and doctors recommended he sit them out, the AP reported.

The 43-year-old was the first athlete representing Peru to competing in a Winter Games. He made his (and Peru's) Winter Olympic debut at Vancouver, where he competed in the same race in 43 minutes 53.6 seconds.

Two other Peruvians are competing in Sochi: a brother-sister Alpine skiing duo.

:lifter Yep, that's why I love the Olympics! Thanks for posting that.

Sine Pari

Trapper John
02-16-2014, 07:18

:lifter

orion5
02-16-2014, 11:29

Interesting that Peru's first winter olympics athlete is 43 yrs old.....

But very classy sportsmanship from Cologna & Sherpa. ;)

Gypsy
02-16-2014, 18:10

OSHIE!

dennisw
02-16-2014, 18:57

Sine Pari

Shaun White may be the best person in the world, I really don't know. However, it seems easier to be a gracious loser when you've already won what, 2 olympic gold medals, 15 x game winter gold medals and have a net worth in excess of $40 million.

Just saying.

This is also a good example of sportsmanship.

http://www.godvine.com/Injury-Turns-into-Inspiration-for-One-High-School-Girl-323.html

Last note. My wife's master degree is in sports psychology. One of her colleagues worked with the U.S. Olympic team and had the privilege of being at the Olympics during the competition. He said being in the olympic village was the most depressing experience of his life. There was so much pressure, he couldn't wait to leave.